BCB Cup 2014 - the rules - please read.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

BCB Cup 2014 - the rules - please read.

Postby the masked man » 13 Jan 2014, 21:46

I have now drawn the first round of the 2014 Cup, and I want to start this at 6pm GMT new Sunday (19 January). Here are the rules:

FIRST ROUND

All 64 entrants must supply an initial list of ten songs to PM to me, giving both artist and song title, by Sunday. These can be in any genre at all - so long as you believe that BCBers will vote for your list, anything goes. Regarding links, these are NOT compulsory, but if you want to supply links, please use YouTube. The links should not be embedded but formatted as links. Use the following method. Find the clip you want, then copy the URL, and format it as follows:

1. Type the artist and song-name.
2. Straight afterwards, click on the 'URL' button that is above the posting box. You'll see a pair of brackets with 'url' and '/url' appear.
3. Inside the first box, place the '=' symbol immediately after 'url' and then place the YouTube URL immediately after that symbol, ensuring that the close-bracket sign appears after the URL.
4. Immediately after the close-bracket sign in the first set of brackets, type the word 'link'.

Having followed these instructions, you should see the following appear. Note: I've selected this song for example purposes only. I do not suggest you pick this song....

1. Nightwish - Ghost Love Score link

If you're having problems here, just click on 'Quote' below this post and you'll see exactly how I've formatted this.

Links to sites other than Youtube are acceptable, so long as they are formatted in the same way.

All ties will be posted anonymously, in a two-player head-to-head knockout format. There will be no indication of who is responsible for any of the lists, but losers will be revealed when they are knocked out. For shame!

VOTING

I cannot stress this enough, but any BCBer who has passed his or her probationary period (the initial five posts) is eligible to vote, irrespective of whether they've entered the competition or not. Only aliases are disallowed. All lists are, as I say, anonymous, so you must vote either for list A or list B. Comments are appreciated alongside your vote. Voting will close 48 hours after I post each tie, at which point I will tally up the scores and post which list has won, and reveal the unlucky loser.

REPLAYS

It sometimes occurs that after 48 hours, the two lists are tied. If this happens, a replay occurs. Each competitor must supply me with a single new song, which cannot appear in any of their subsequent lists. The two songs will go head-to-head over a single 24 hour period. It's a cruel but necessary process...

SUBSEQUENT ROUNDS

Here is where changes occur. Perhaps I ought to have discussed this first, but I've been concerned I've bent too far backwards to accommodate people in past years, and I ought to have been a bit more of a bastard to show I'm in control. Yeah, yeah....the power's gone to my head....Anyway, instead of supplying five new songs, you must look at your list of ten songs and change between one and five of your choices. The exact number is up to you. You will also be allowed to change the order of your existing songs if you feel this will improve the flow of your selections. The rationale here is twofold; it will stop lists turning into massive behemoths by the time we get to the final, and it will also force players to make note of comments, allowing them to take note of songs that aren't apparently earning them votes. I'm confident this will work, and most people seem to welcome this idea.

Anyway, thank you for signing up, and good luck! May the odds be ever in your favour!

Any questions, use this thread to ask them.

Pansy Puff

Re: BCB Cup 2014 - the rules - please read.

Postby Pansy Puff » 13 Jan 2014, 21:56

I like the new rules. Adds an interesting element of strategy. Here's to the 2nd round!!
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

pcqgod

Postby pcqgod » 13 Jan 2014, 22:13

I think that rule change will make it easier for voting, but harder for drawing up lists.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

whodathunkit

Postby whodathunkit » 13 Jan 2014, 23:26

I'm fully behind the new rules but I think I would be a bit wary of taking note of "comments" from previous rounds. Sampling a few match-ups from last year, I note that only about half the votes cast had any comments attached at all and even then individual tracks didn't always get a mention. Unless we're all going to turn into budding Nick Kents, you're going to be left trying to interpret a lot of simple A and B votes. Indeed not commenting could become a strategy.

B

Postby B » 14 Jan 2014, 00:05

B

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 14 Jan 2014, 00:48

whodathunkit wrote:I'm fully behind the new rules but I think I would be a bit wary of taking note of "comments" from previous rounds. Sampling a few match-ups from last year, I note that only about half the votes cast had any comments attached at all and even then individual tracks didn't always get a mention. Unless we're all going to turn into budding Nick Kents, you're going to be left trying to interpret a lot of simple A and B votes. Indeed not commenting could become a strategy.

And what if, oh dear, people use their comments in a devious manner? The horror.....

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Jan 2014, 08:22

How many ties are you putting up every time?

Are you planning to stretch out the competition? I remember that the later rounds attracted fewer and fewer votes- I'm not sure whether it is easier to bang the lot out there in one go and have it over and done with quicker or if you take a break before, let's say, the semis and final.....

One thing will be fun- you can have your whole list changed before you reach the semis! :)
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Jan 2014, 09:09

I think I'll put up four matches at at time. I think people can mange that.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 14 Jan 2014, 09:11

never/ever wrote:One thing will be fun- you can have your whole list changed before you reach the semis! :)

See, that's what I don't like about the new rules - a list could lose its whole identity. I think we could see all the idiosyncracies and daring choices that really give lists personality being wiped out. I think that once you've chosen something you should have to stick by it, and that it's the growth and development of the lists that makes them interesting; with the new rules, a list we've hit upon in round one as something to support and follow through the tournament could look totally different within a round or two; again, the personalities of the lists could disappear.
And what if I like my list and don't want to change it?

I do think it's good that the new rules should lead to people commenting more and taking comments into account more: I always preferred it when people justified their votes rather than just blandly stating A or B. And I don't mean to criticse Andrew: I think most people agreed that the competition needed a shake-up, and I appreciate that he's tried to do something rather than just allowing a discussion of new rules to drag on and on and on and on and on... it's just that I'm worried that this particular rule change isn't going to work out. It's what we're going with, though, so I don't think we should change it now. I just think it's worth saying what I think as I know I'm not the only one to have expressed doubts. Sorry Andrew!
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Jan 2014, 09:36

I think the biggest issue was always the 'bloated list' that appeared at the end. I guess that could be avoided if, instead of five tracks, only two were added.

It's the draw that ultimately decides which list progresses- every draw will be against a new opponent. Strictly taken you shouldn't have to add any tracks whatsoever to the list. I think also that most people had trouble digesting all the tracks on the list with a lot of people ending up just picking the list they had voted for before because they liked most of the initial tracks the best.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

fange

Postby fange » 14 Jan 2014, 09:42

I loved the old format, but there's no arguing the fact that many people had started to lose interest in the Cup, and the length of the lists was the most commonly cited reason.
Should the Cup be a list competition or a song v. song comp... well, there are pros and cons to either choice. I think Andrew's idea has a lot going for it; a ten song block to make a statement and show personality, chances for a bit of gamesmanship and tactics, plus the chance to try something new and see what the hell happens!

Lets pu this thing into gear and see where it takes us.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 14 Jan 2014, 09:55

Is it perhaps an option that people are not required to change their list if they don't want to?

George Carlin

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Jan 2014, 10:19

I think it's more interesting if people are forced to change at least one song every time.

One rule I am changing (after more than one person PM'd me) regards YouTube links. Just to clarify, links to other sites (eg Dailymotion, Soundcloud, Bandcamp etc.) are also acceptable, so long as you format them in the same way.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 14 Jan 2014, 14:29

When's the deadline for submissions, Andrew?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Jan 2014, 14:31

Loki wrote:When's the deadline for submissions, Andrew?

Sunday 19 January, at 6pm. That's when I hope to put up the first four matches.

BlueMeanie

Postby BlueMeanie » 14 Jan 2014, 15:36

the masked man wrote:
Loki wrote:When's the deadline for submissions, Andrew?

Sunday 19 January, at 6pm. That's when I hope to put up the first four matches.

Not sure I can make that, but I'll do my best.
Betty Denim wrote:The first time I saw a strange man's cock was in a queue for a Belgian breakfast buffet.

GoogaMooga wrote:I do have standards.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 14 Jan 2014, 16:04

I'm going to try to vote if I can, but my personal time is very limited right now, so please don't anyone think my lack of voting connotes any sort of disinterest. The Cup is a wonderful distraction for me at this time, and I really do want to participate.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jan 2014, 20:05

Loki wrote:
whodathunkit wrote:I'm fully behind the new rules but I think I would be a bit wary of taking note of "comments" from previous rounds. Sampling a few match-ups from last year, I note that only about half the votes cast had any comments attached at all and even then individual tracks didn't always get a mention. Unless we're all going to turn into budding Nick Kents, you're going to be left trying to interpret a lot of simple A and B votes. Indeed not commenting could become a strategy.

And what if, oh dear, people use their comments in a devious manner? The horror.....

"I love the Michael Bolton. I really hope B picks it for the next round. They're on a winner!"

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 14 Jan 2014, 20:07

penk wrote:
never/ever wrote:One thing will be fun- you can have your whole list changed before you reach the semis! :)

See, that's what I don't like about the new rules - a list could lose its whole identity.

That could be an advantage in your case! ;)

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 14 Jan 2014, 22:33

identity schmidentity. i think once we remove a few of the offending songs from our own lists, we oughtta be able to replace em with songs that are workin really well from other people's lists.