BCB Cup 2015 - THE FINAL - Clive's a Gas

SlangKing

Re: BCB Cup 2015 - THE FINAL

Postby SlangKing » 02 Mar 2015, 17:16

A
Treading water in a sea of retarded sexuality and bad poetry.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Mar 2015, 18:28

Copehead wrote:So I should really vote for B but 5 songs I like doesn't really seem to be enough.

But if I vote for B they will lose :)

So listen to Palace of Love already.
And B is losing anyway
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 02 Mar 2015, 18:45

Rayge wrote: and B is losing anyway

A 13 : B 12 = at present.
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it ?

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 02 Mar 2015, 19:30

Samoan wrote:
Rayge wrote: and B is losing anyway

A 13 : B 12 = at present.

B :)

It's a draw

Finish it now, put it out of its misery
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Mar 2015, 19:43

I don't really fit in here at BCB musically or otherwise -- I never have -- so I can live with the final round lists not sharing my tastes. It's just like political elections at home. The things I vote on never win. So, I didn't have a pony in this final. Unsurprisingly, just giving them a cursory once over I didn't like either list and I've voted against them in every round I think. But in the interests of fairness, I did a COMPLETE play off between the two.

And to my pleasant surprise they both contained several tracks I could listen to without feeling a compulsive need to self-defenestrate! So that was good. It wasn't as bad as I initially thought. :D

In fact, both contained a few tracks I really liked a lot and both introduced me to some great new stuff, which is priceless really. Thank you!

This is why I love the cup. It challenges me and engages me as a listener. It pushes me out of my comfort zones and makes me try new things. Sure a lot of that here was new things I didn't like at all, but NEW is in itself a gift, so thank you to both list A and B's creators for that. Really.

Anyway...my analysis.
PLEASE NOTE - The letter grade is totally on a curve. The highest highs here earn an A and the musical low-points earn F's. If either of these went head to head with a list I actually LIKED ON SIGHT, I'm sure the letter grades would change dramatically. Bold face = standout tracks!

List A - You get a sense of A's personality here and I like that. But musically it just really isn't my cuppa at all. I couldn't get into this one and I found it hard to believe that anyone would consider some of these tracks to be personal favorites. I found myself thinking "With all the other, vastly superior stuff out there in the world, as a listener, I can't imagine picking many of THESE tracks to listen to over all of THAT." So, I'm sorry A. De gustabus and I'm sure my list of post punk didn't float your boat either.

List A:
D = Bob Seger System - Lucifer - No thank you. Not a Seger fan.
F = Kanye West - Black Skinhead - Just no. I did listen to it. I did not like it at all.
C+ = Ty Segall - The Clock - After Seger and Kanye this was suspiciously inoffensive.
D = Ned Doheny - Get It Up For Love - Honest question for you. How is this better or cooler than listening to the Eagles for fucksake? Gack!
D+ = D'Angelo and The Vanguard- The Charade - This was like a bad Prince wannabe -- lyrically sound, but musically boring and the vocals were nasal, atonal and irritating. No thank you.
B = M83 - Midnight City - It's M83. It's fine for what it is.
A- = The Free Design - There is a Song - Okay so I deeply love these guys. I have loved them since childhood and they were one of the first artists I exposed my only progeny to. But this is not their strongest track by any stretch of the imagination. I certainly don't hate it, and on this list it becomes a top track.
C = Caravan - Place of My Own - It's fine. It works with what comes before and after too.
C = We The People - When I Arrive -- It's okay.
B = Blondie - Union City Blue - It's Blondie - it is by no means a strong track choice from Blondie's catalogue though.
C = Michael Garrick Septet - Ursula - It was okay. I'm not a big modern jazz fan.
B = John Carpenter - Vortex - It's John Carpenter. Better than jazz anyway.
A- = Mary Love - You Turned My Bitter Into Sweet - It's fine.
A- = The Clash - City Of The Dead - Like the Blondie track this feels like a weak choice from their amazing catalog.
C = Nino & April - You'll Be Needing Me Baby - Innocuous fluff.
A++! = Bill Evans - Peace Piece = Thank you. A real "A" grade track here. This is compelling, beautiful and in every way just excellent. I'd never heard it before and it was truly wonderful. (This is why I love the cup)
C = Phoenix -Love For Granted - It's Phoenix. Like M83, it's not my thing, but I don't hate it or dislike it even.
C+ = Tom Tom Club - Wordy Rappinghood - I like them, but I understand finding them irritating. I do.
D =Leroy Hutson - Lucky Fellow - Totally white man's overbite dance music. No thanks.
C = Led Zeppelin-The Wanton Song - It's fine I guess.
A =Serge Gainsbourg - La Horse - Yeah sure Gainsbourgh okay yep.
B = Lal & Mike Waterson - The Scarecrow = Well I enjoyed it.
A =The Cult - She Sells Sanctuary - Yes thank you.

List B - Well it has flow and I cannot overstress the importance of this for me. More importantly, I don't dislike the "feel" of it as much musically as I did list A. While B and I aren't exactly a match made in heaven, it's miles more in the zone of my scene than A was. It has flow, it has personality, it has a sense of fun and love to it. I like it. I can endorse it even, which surprised me.

List B:
A = Theme from The Persuaders - John Barry - Always a winning choice for me.
B+ = Dream Sequences 1 - Pauline Murray and The Invisible Girls - I liked it.
D = Hoping Love Will Last - Steve Hackett & Randy Crawford - Not my cuppa. Easy listening shite.
A+ = Invasion Of The Gamma Men - Shake - Absolutely excellent. Thanks!
B? C? D? i dunno. = Parade - White and Torch - Well...what to say here...I'd never heard these guys before. The vocals are a bit overblown and the lyrics are trite. It reminds me of Ultravox (Midge Ure era) meets the Righteous Brothers. Which you know....uh...hmm. Is that good? I'm not sure. It may grow on me.
A- = Prairie Rose - Roxy Music - Ah Roxy. Thank god.
A- = Out There In The Night - The Only Ones - Ah.....It's nasal, but it has balls. The contrast between A and B is becoming very clear. I can see my personal winner now.
B- = Theme From S`Express - S`Express - Okay sure. I can endorse this. It's B's answer to A's Tom Tom Club really and it's much less annoying.
D = Dayton Ohio 1903 - Randy Newman - Ah...I cannot stress how much I hate Randy Newman. Is it fair to hate him so irrationally and so much? No. Am I being even remotely impartial? No.
A = Bernadette -Four Tops - It's the tops. Nuff said.
B- = Methods of Dance - Japan - I'm not a Japan fan (I know this makes no sense given my tastes and inclinations) but it's a solid track and I don't DISLIKE it.
B = Danny Says - The Ramones - Interesting choice...I love the Ramones, but this wouldn't be my go-to track for a cup list.
A = Stay With Me - Lorraine Ellsion - Here's B's answer to Mary Love. Yes please.
B+ = Mercenaries (Ready For War) - John Cale - Yep. Solid stuff.
C = The Spirit of The Age - Hawkwind - Not really a Hawkwind fan...but I don't hate it.
B = Hunter and The Hunted - Simple Minds - Not my favorite SM track, but it's good.
A++! = The Palace of Love - Doll by Doll - Yes! Thank you. I'll take this over the Cult.
C =Harder Than The Rest - Public Enemy - And while we're at it, I'll take this over Kanye every day!
B = The Grid - Philip Glass - Sure. Whatever.
A+ = The Cello Song - Nick Drake - One of my favorite Nick Drake tracks.
A- = Dance To The Medley - Sly and The Family Stone - I'm not a big Sly and the Family Stone fan. But it kicks 9 kinds of shit out of list A.
C = Softly, Whispering I Love You - The Congregation - It's okay. I dislike it and find it compelling at the same time.
C- = Will I Ever Be Inside Of You - Paul Quinn & The Independent Group - I really didn't like this much. Musically it was okay, lyrically it was a fail.

So... B for me.
--m.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Mar 2015, 19:50

Tough break, B.*

*this is NOT a vote. I have ALREADY VOTED.
Last edited by harvey k-tel on 02 Mar 2015, 20:12, edited 1 time in total.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 02 Mar 2015, 19:51

Oh shush!
--m.

Butch Manly
Utter Cad

Postby Butch Manly » 02 Mar 2015, 20:03

B seems a very personal list and I like that, even if it gets the PE song title wrong. Well done to A - another fine collection but I'm finding it hard to resist "The Hunter and the Hunted," "Spirit of the Age," "Harder than You Think" and Paul Quinn and John Barry.

>>[b]=+-
Goatboy to Belle:

"I suggest you retreat to the safety of your Facebook bubble. Griff has a post he needs you to like."

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 02 Mar 2015, 20:11

martha wrote:Oh shush!

:P
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 02 Mar 2015, 20:14

I kind of wish I'd played along before now--

but better late than never, I guess...

I thought I would splash out with beautiful commentary, but hatz said it better

toomanyhatz wrote:A list with the fucking Cult and fucking Kanye vs. a list with fucking Randy Crawford. Can I write in Onions or Spec?

Of these, easily B. Only a couple of questionable choices vs. a list built on them.

B

Lemon Yoghourt

Postby Lemon Yoghourt » 02 Mar 2015, 20:33

A

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 02 Mar 2015, 20:36

Rayge wrote:
Copehead wrote:So I should really vote for B but 5 songs I like doesn't really seem to be enough.

And B is losing anyway

Can't I listen to Temple of Love instead?
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

Nick Danger

Postby Nick Danger » 02 Mar 2015, 20:54

B

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Mar 2015, 21:01

Copehead wrote:
Rayge wrote:

And B is losing anyway

Can't I listen to Temple of Love instead?

I can't see how it would help you to find a sixth song in B's list that you liked (you really never heard Stay With Me? Tsk. Young people today), but if you like a bit of Goff, knock yourself out. Although personally I'd prefer Temple of Convenience.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Mar 2015, 21:04

..**\ A /**..

neville harp wrote:God bless you brother C x

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 02 Mar 2015, 21:36

martha wrote:
D =Leroy Hutson - Lucky Fellow - Totally white man's overbite dance music. No thanks.

totally wrong of course. This was a massive tune in the rare groove scene (which was far from being "totally white").

I'm sorry I don't have time to give the lists my usual attention, but I'm going A.
Well done to both.

B

Postby B » 02 Mar 2015, 21:40

B

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 02 Mar 2015, 22:23

B

, the Cult-free one.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 02 Mar 2015, 23:13

Very tough, both have more or less the same ratio of good to bad (both overwhelmingly on the side of the gods, it has to be said). Have played a few links tonight and still wavering. It's just....

A

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 03 Mar 2015, 06:27

A
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge