Cup Comments and News

Spec

Re: Cup Comments and News

Postby Spec » 11 Feb 2015, 20:01

The Dread Pirate Penk wrote:
Spec wrote:quick question: if you had planned to include a song in your list in a later round and then your opponent used it and it got a lot of praise would you still use it as planned?

You had 'Kyrie Eleison' on your shortlist too then?

Of course!

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 05 Mar 2015, 16:13

i'm wondering whether the cup needs a major overhaul next year? with the the diminishing number of participants, i think the league format of the PROG/60s cups etc is much more appealing. the knock-out format tends to lead to reduced participation during the voting, whereas the league format seems to maintain interest. i suppose the only draw-back would be that it would go on for months. anyway, food for BCB thought.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 05 Mar 2015, 23:40

The other night I was thinking it would be interesting to compare the winning lists through the years and even though we know who won, do a cup on those.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

der nister

Postby der nister » 06 Mar 2015, 17:21

'skope wrote:i'm wondering whether the cup needs a major overhaul next year? with the the diminishing number of participants, i think the league format of the PROG/60s cups etc is much more appealing. the knock-out format tends to lead to reduced participation during the voting, whereas the league format seems to maintain interest. i suppose the only draw-back would be that it would go on for months. anyway, food for BCB thought.

Or a new set of five each time without dragging the previous offerings around.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

The Red Heifer
Fucking Crackers

Postby The Red Heifer » 07 Mar 2015, 02:52

sloopjohnc wrote:The other night I was thinking it would be interesting to compare the winning lists through the years and even though we know who won, do a cup on those.

Jeff K only won the first one because he blatantly lifted "Joey" from mine. Back when lifting was perfectly acceptable.

I'd love a 2000s Cup, there's not enough focus on the music of this century.
Wadesmith wrote:Why is it that when there's a 'What do you think of this?' post, it's always absolute cobblers?

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Mar 2015, 09:17

'skope wrote:i'm wondering whether the cup needs a major overhaul next year? with the the diminishing number of participants, i think the league format of the PROG/60s cups etc is much more appealing. the knock-out format tends to lead to reduced participation during the voting, whereas the league format seems to maintain interest. i suppose the only draw-back would be that it would go on for months. anyway, food for BCB thought.

It is the only Cup that currently has the list vs list-format, it would be a shame if all Cups would have the same format. With the diversity of the lists in this Cup I don't think that justice will be done to the singular attraction of the entries, in that the mix of songs determines which is the better.
I would support a pool-kind of Cup, where you have 5 players each that supply four tracks in a direct list-shoot out with each other- the winners of the pools would have their entries combined to one list that will go head to head in a knock-out kind of phase.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 07 Mar 2015, 10:03

The Red Heifer wrote:I'd love a 2000s Cup, there's not enough focus on the music of this century.

It has been suggested, approved and planned. I was going to start it off after the BCB Cup but the prog boys jumped the gun by kicking off their sign-up before the BCB Cup had even finished.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 07 Mar 2015, 10:16

The Red Heifer wrote:I'd love a 2000s Cup, there's not enough focus on the music of this century.

It has been suggested, approved and planned. I was going to start it off after the BCB Cup but the prog boys jumped the gun by kicking off their sign-up before the BCB Cup had even finished.

It won't worry me if we had both cups simultaneously...
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 08 Mar 2015, 20:09

Now this I'd be interested in. I suspect the lack of consensus and sheer volume of music will lead to obscurantists central but I'm cool with that. I don't like the song by song format - it takes so fucking long to complete the thing that you lose interest - but I'm happy with the BCB massive's preference. Making it happen at the same time as the Prog stuff won't seriously affect interest, I think. That Venn diagram has a fairly small intersection, I reckon.

Tapiocahead

Postby Tapiocahead » 10 Mar 2015, 22:34

I'd be well up for 2000s cup
Fishstick selling fuck

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 10 Mar 2015, 23:09

Fucking 80s Cup. It needs to be done.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 22 Mar 2015, 05:31

Or 90s.

Or the 70s Hard Rock one kath was thinking about doing.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.