BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23440
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby never/ever » 30 Jan 2015, 10:31

As part of the chin-strokers (I presume, for voting for the other list), may I kindly refer you to the pictorial in your sig?
Thanks!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014
Posts: 6248
Joined: 07 Jun 2014, 13:19
Location: on diamond dog's ignore list

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby 'skope » 30 Jan 2015, 10:37

isn't it time brother deebank changed your nappy? it's full of bcb shit.

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12936
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby fange » 30 Jan 2015, 10:50

Copehead wrote:
I did.

They are both far better written and more fun than the majority of the shit posted up here.

Can't you see that you have killed the competition stone dead with your wankery?

What was a fun competition about posting a list of decent songs that people know and like has been trumped by the shallowest sort of oneupmanship.

You're welcome too it, you and the 20-30 people who will be taking part next year.

Another proud, fun BCB tradition killed by humourless music bores like you.


:lol: Oh for fuck's sake, don't put your issues on me Copey.
There are a host of reasons why the Cup isn't as popular as it used to be, but i can guarantee you that more people liking 'obscure shit' like The Isley Bros ( :lol: ) over Iron Maiden ain't one of them mate. If the artists and music i like are so boring you shouldn't have voted for my list.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24105
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2015, 10:54

'skope wrote:isn't it time brother deebank changed your nappy? it's full of bcb shit.


Things have got no better with your unwelcome return trailing boring 60s marginalia in your wake like a cruise ship dumping its bilge tanks.

I pronounce the BCB Cup dead.

It has looked ill the past couple of years.

But this year the chin strokers and 60s fetishists have surely murdered it and are now in the process of pissing on its twitching corpse.

Whilst playing an unreleased Baby Huey track they just know everybody is going to love.

How sad to have to take your interest in popular music so seriously, sucking the joy out of it like a load vampires in retro Stax Records T-shirts.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24105
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2015, 11:00

fangedango! wrote:
Copehead wrote:
I did.

They are both far better written and more fun than the majority of the shit posted up here.

Can't you see that you have killed the competition stone dead with your wankery?

What was a fun competition about posting a list of decent songs that people know and like has been trumped by the shallowest sort of oneupmanship.

You're welcome too it, you and the 20-30 people who will be taking part next year.

Another proud, fun BCB tradition killed by humourless music bores like you.


:lol: Oh for fuck's sake, don't put your issues on me Copey.
There are a host of reasons why the Cup isn't as popular as it used to be, but i can guarantee you that more people liking 'obscure shit' like The Isley Bros ( :lol: ) over Iron Maiden ain't one of them mate. If the artists and music i like are so boring you shouldn't have voted for my list.


The only issue I have is how fucking boring this process has become.

If you can't see that.

Don't notice that the slow drop off in voting numbers is now precipitous and probably terminal.

Then you are undoubtedly part of the problem along with the boringly right on music you and your mates all post. and vote for.

It isn't as popular as it used to be because of people like you making taking part and voting a chore by all posting lists seemingly generated by some app developed at Pitchfork.

And if you are going to take part as I was then you have to vote for something even if it is a choice between a turd sandwich and vomit soup.

I am off to look up some stuff by Jim Carroll and Channel Swimmer, so it hasn't been a complete waste of my time.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint
Posts: 32673
Joined: 20 Mar 2007, 12:11
Location: In the perfumed garden

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Goat Boy » 30 Jan 2015, 11:02

'skope wrote:isn't it time brother deebank changed your nappy? it's full of bcb shit.


:lol:

I think Copehead has a point actually.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.


Copehead wrote:we have lost touch with anything normal

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19086
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Earl E. Eel » 30 Jan 2015, 11:04

Of course nobody who's actually IN the Cup is likely to agree with what Copehead says but he does make some valid points (altho' his constant banging on about Baby Huey is becoming tedious - surely if we're being swamped with obscurities he can find other examples).

The winning list used to be a great selection of songs - simply that. It doesn't actually mean a damned thing any more.
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34938
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby PENK » 30 Jan 2015, 11:05

You got beat because theme lists always get beat because the vast majority would rather vote for an interesting and enjoyable playlist than some gimmick that took five minutes' googling to put together.

And because there were at least two songs on your list that everyone thought were utter cock.

The list that beat you didn't have a single song from the '60s.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Jan 2015, 11:06

Copehead wrote:How sad to have to take your interest in popular music so seriously

Says the guy having a rant over losing an inconsequential, fun competition on an obscure music board :lol:
Just a penitent man

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Jan 2015, 11:08

The Dread Pirate Penk wrote:And because there were at least two songs on your list that everyone thought were utter cock.

Sorry to correct, but the Maiden track was the best thing on it!!! :D
Just a penitent man

User avatar
fange
Posts: 12936
Joined: 20 Jan 2010, 11:30
Location: 香港

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby fange » 30 Jan 2015, 11:09

Well, i'm sorry to have wasted your time with music i like and you don't, Cope. I'll try not to do that again in the future when i log into Black Cat Bone Music Forum.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.


By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Jan 2015, 11:10

Uncle J wrote:The winning list used to be a great selection of songs - simply that. It doesn't actually mean a damned thing any more.

It never did - the Cup is a bit of fun, unashamedly so.

The BCB Cup is the fluff in the navel we're so fond of gazing at, and more strength to it for that.
Last edited by funky_nomad on 30 Jan 2015, 11:10, edited 1 time in total.
Just a penitent man

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 34938
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby PENK » 30 Jan 2015, 11:10

Uncle J wrote:Of course nobody who's actually IN the Cup is likely to agree with what Copehead says but he does make some valid points (altho' his constant banging on about Baby Huey is becoming tedious - surely if we're being swamped with obscurities he can find other examples).


I think it's natural that the lists get a bit more "obscure". Most of us have done this for several years, of course we want to see more variety in the lists.

Copehead's mistake is in not realising that nobody shares his crappy taste. He does a rant like this every year. It's as much of a Cup tradition as the appearance of 'Another Girl, Another Planet' or 'Use Me'.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
never/ever
Posts: 23440
Joined: 27 Jun 2008, 14:21
Location: Journeying through a burning brain

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby never/ever » 30 Jan 2015, 11:11

funky_nomad wrote:
The Dread Pirate Penk wrote:And because there were at least two songs on your list that everyone thought were utter cock.

Sorry to correct, but the Maiden track was the best thing on it!!! :D


Seconded. Love that album to bits.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24105
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2015, 11:24

Uncle J wrote:Of course nobody who's actually IN the Cup is likely to agree with what Copehead says but he does make some valid points (altho' his constant banging on about Baby Huey is becoming tedious - surely if we're being swamped with obscurities he can find other examples).

The winning list used to be a great selection of songs - simply that. It doesn't actually mean a damned thing any more.


Totally agree with you and Dougie.

Baby Huey is a meme, a cipher for all that went wrong. :)

But I take your point that bad mouthing a minor if reasonably tuneful soul man is becoming a bore.

I don't need to find examples of obscurities this year I am lucky if a list has one song I have heard before on it.

The original raison d'etre of the cup was not to post rarities but good songs - personal favourites - to make a populist compilation, I think that has become lost a little because, for obvious reasons, people coming up with a cracking rarity in the past were often rewarded with lots of votes, and rightly so.

But in the last 2 or 3 years two cups have been running in parallel, people posting old style lists of a mixture of firm favourites with an odd personal quirk thrown in and people posting lists of far more obscure stuff.

This year the obscure style of list has almost entirely won out and the voting numbers have gone through the floor because people do not want to wade through hours of stuff they have never heard before. And it is literally hours. You start off with good intentions listening to whole songs, after an hour or so the ones you think you may like are getting a 30 sec listen, and after another hour or so you are voting for a list with led Zep one because they are the only artist out of the 16 on offer you have heard more than the odd song by.

We need terms of reference and idea where someone is coming from and few songs we actually know.

We are reduced to the people who have produced these lists of obscurities being about the only people voting so they all win.

No harm in that but it isn't a BCB Cup, it is something else.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24105
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2015, 11:31

The Dread Pirate Penk wrote:You got beat because theme lists always get beat because the vast majority would rather vote for an interesting and enjoyable playlist than some gimmick that took five minutes' googling to put together.

And because there were at least two songs on your list that everyone thought were utter cock.

The list that beat you didn't have a single song from the '60s.


Have you actually noticed the voting numbers in this pale imitation you are presiding over this year.

I have no real beef about getting beaten, I get beaten every year, but if you can't see the monochrome nature of the lists this year and how the only people really voting anymore are the people putting in these lists then you need to step back and clean your glasses.

Your are presiding over the death of the Cup here.

fewer people are voting than are actually taking part for fucks sake.

look at who's voting, same old faces, most people drifted away to do something less tedious years ago, a few people like me and Kath stuck it out but we are pretty conspicuous.

And when did this all become so po-faced that putting up something by Iron Maiden or a novelty country hit become beyond the pale.

I think you all need to take this a little less seriously.

It has become like Music A levels for hipsters.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist
Posts: 24105
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: at sea

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Copehead » 30 Jan 2015, 11:35

funky_nomad wrote:
Uncle J wrote:The winning list used to be a great selection of songs - simply that. It doesn't actually mean a damned thing any more.

It never did - the Cup is a bit of fun, unashamedly so.

The BCB Cup is the fluff in the navel we're so fond of gazing at, and more strength to it for that.


That is my whole point.

It isn't a bit of fun anymore, it isn't a bit of fluff.

It is tedious and worthy

Most people find it a fucking chore as evidenced by the fact that the voting numbers are below 50 and falling fast

People have voted with their feet this year, it has been on the cards for a while but this year it has become blindingly obvious.

No one wants to listen to this fucking stuff beyond the people who actually post it. they have buggered the sick body of the cup to death before our very eyes.
Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Nazi Punks, Fuck Off

Image

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

User avatar
Earl E. Eel
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19086
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: bit reliant on prawns

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby Earl E. Eel » 30 Jan 2015, 11:36

Copehead wrote:No one wants to listen to this fucking stuff beyond the people who actually post it.


:lol: :lol:
yomptepi wrote:Who in their right minds would voluntarily go to Wales?

User avatar
funky_nomad
paranoid
Posts: 11626
Joined: 14 Aug 2003, 11:31
Location: Doomsville

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby funky_nomad » 30 Jan 2015, 11:40

Copehead wrote:Most people find it a fucking chore as evidenced by the fact that the voting numbers are below 50 and falling fast

You keep mentioning this as a core tenet of your argument, but I'd reckon that the ratio of people voting in the Cup to active members of the Board is pretty much in line with what it has always been. Personal opinion and I've no way to back that up, obviously, but that would seem about right.
Just a penitent man

User avatar
whodathunkit
Posts: 12173
Joined: 20 Aug 2004, 23:45
Location: Down in the boondocks

Re: BCB Cup 2015 Round 1 Match 16 - What a Cope-Out

Postby whodathunkit » 30 Jan 2015, 11:42

The list wot won in 2005:-

Some Velvet Morning - Lee & Nancy
Another Girl, Another Planet - the Only Ones
I'm Always Touched By Your Presence Dear - Blondie
Atmosphere - Joy Division
Just My Imagination - the Temptations
Cherie - Suicide
People Get Ready - the Impressions
Heroes - David Bowie
Pressure Drop - Toots & the Maytals
Born To Lose - the Heartbreakers
Smash It Up (parts 1 & 2) - the Damned
Pale Blue Eyes - the Velvet Underground
Whole Wide World - Wreckless Eric
Little Black Egg - the Nightcrawlers
I Feel Love - Donna Summer
Nearly Lost You - Screaming Trees
Stand! - Sly and the Family Stone
Song To the Siren - This Mortal Coil
She Said Yeah - the Rolling Stones
Feed the Trees - Belly
Cindy Tells Me - Brian Eno
Suspicious Minds - Elvis Presley
The Ship Song - Nick Cave and the Bad Seeds
Train From Kansas City - the Shangri Las
Motor Away - Guided By Voices
Teenage Kicks - the Undertones
Land - Patti Smith
Damaged Goods - Gang of Four
Maggot Brain - Funkadelic
Belle - Al Green
Who Knows Where the Time Goes - Sandy Denny
I Believe - the Buzzcocks
Teacher, Teacher - Rockpile
Mona Lisas and the Mad Hatters - Elton John
Autumn Stone - the Small Faces

There were 54 votes in the final.

Nothing too obscure (and by that I don't just mean a song Copey's never heard) but then the winning list never is.
Image