Does obscurity automatically count for points with you?

sloopjohnc

Does obscurity automatically count for points with you?

Postby sloopjohnc » 28 Jan 2016, 21:09

It doesn't count with me unless the song is good according to my personal preference. If it's just forced obscurity for obscurity's sake, then I count it against people. I basically say to myself, "You made me click and listen for two minutes to this shit?"
OCT wrote:Roger Waters is a cunt and his music is fucking shit.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: Does obscurity automatically count for points with you?

Postby Loki » 28 Jan 2016, 21:15

sloopjohnc wrote:It doesn't count with me unless the song is good according to my personal preference.

Right. If I like it, it makes no difference. EXCEPT that perhaps for the first time, I'm starting to see why the older BCB guard poo-poos canon, generally. Still, if it's classic and I love it.....

If it's just forced obscurity for obscurity's sake, then I count it against people. I basically say to myself, "You made me click and listen for two minutes to this shit?"

But how do you know? Maybe they love the song, and are looking for some validation.

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 28 Jan 2016, 21:23

Depends how tired the familiar selections are or how good the obscurity is. To be honest, it's pretty much depending on general vibe. Best lists have a balance of both, usually. The notion of obscurity for its own sake is a nonsense by and large.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 28 Jan 2016, 21:28

Only negative ones usually.
Very few of the obscurities deployed here are worth the bother most are obscure for a reason
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

OCT
hounds people off the board

Postby OCT » 28 Jan 2016, 21:31

Copehead wrote:Very few of the obscurities deployed here are worth the bother most are obscure for a reason

That's it. That's what I've found, anyway. Very few have any kind of impact. Which suggests they're chosen only because they mean a lot to the compiler.
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

Copehead
BCB Cup Stalinist

Postby Copehead » 28 Jan 2016, 21:39

apricot in form of beef wrote:
Copehead wrote:Very few of the obscurities deployed here are worth the bother most are obscure for a reason

That's it. That's what I've found, anyway. Very few have any kind of impact. Which suggests they're chosen only because they mean a lot to the compiler.

Or because they think they will be punished for putting up something someone somewhere may have heard of

Also some obscurities get a free pass - nuggets style, anything by someone black, pretty much anything over 45 years old; but much doesn't - metal, rock, indie etc.

Inverse snobbery is rampant in the BCB cup and has been for years.
And sometimes I ride on bus x82, say what!

Bear baiting & dog fights a speciality.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 28 Jan 2016, 21:41

Well, a bit of obscurity would be nice- I don't mind listening to something I don't know but it is no guarantee to make a list win. It will have a bit of favour over a list that is chock full of good-time hits though but if that list is stronger overall, it wins.....

Talk about snobbery- that is this 'canon'-crap- when people diss lists with artists we rarely talk about and classify them as being canon just sounds like another batch of derivative clap-trap to me.
Ever notice that anyone going slower than you is an idiot, but anyone going faster is a maniac?."

George Carlin

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 29 Jan 2016, 01:52

I like it. I'll give a listen to things I don't know. It would be too easy to put up canonish type tunes. I'm looking to be wowed and learn some new things.

fange

Postby fange » 29 Jan 2016, 02:13

Geoff Woade wrote:Depends how tired the familiar selections are or how good the obscurity is. To be honest, it's pretty much depending on general vibe. Best lists have a balance of both, usually. The notion of obscurity for its own sake is a nonsense by and large.

Yep, that's it for me too. This is a list competition, so it's all about a mix with balance, and naturally that should include well-known and more obscure stuff.
No one has heard everything, not even among music nutters like us here on BCB, so i don't look at it at all like the person is 'showing off'. And if it's good, i want to hear it.
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

OCT

Postby OCT » 29 Jan 2016, 07:04

So what are we rewarding here, then? What does it mean, to win the Cup?
The Great Defector wrote:I don't go to plays, just something I don't get about plays. The Macbeths I seen were for school.

fange

Postby fange » 29 Jan 2016, 07:24

What does it mean to win a competition on an internet music board which has no prize, JC? Apart from maybe some bragging rights, sweet fuck all! :lol:

I don't know about anyone else, but the reason i enjoy taking part in the Cups is the same reason i came to BCB in the first place ~ to talk about music, maybe share some stuff about the music i like, and pick up some ideas from others about more music i might like too!
Jonny Spencer wrote:

OCT

Postby OCT » 29 Jan 2016, 07:28

No, no, no! I don't mean that!

What does it say about the person who wins? About their lists?

It used to say that the person had good (as in: interesting, wide-ranging, exciting) musical taste (altho' I'm sure some will dispute that). Now?

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 29 Jan 2016, 07:30

A song I love that I've never heard before, or that I hear rarely will always count for more points than even a slightly better song I've heard a million times. For me 'discoveries' are part of the fun. That's what I'm here for, I mean even above and beyond winning the thing (which I presume I'll never do).

Obscurity for its own sake, on the other hand, will be punished mercilessly. Discovering a super rare garage or Freakbeat track is only worth a damn if it's not the billionth Stones or Yardbirds cop.
sloopjohnc wrote:Aslan has some good credenitals - got his BA from Santa Clara, a Jesuit school and his Masters from Harvard and PhD from Santa Barbara, a surfing school.

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 29 Jan 2016, 07:37

toomanyhatz wrote:Discovering a super rare garage or Freakbeat track is only worth a damn if it's not the billionth Stones or Yardbirds cop.

Meaning if it's original; not derivative?

fange

Postby fange » 29 Jan 2016, 07:40

apricot in form of beef wrote:What does it say about the person who wins? About their lists?

It used to say that the person had good (as in: interesting, wide-ranging, exciting) musical taste (altho' I'm sure some will dispute that). Now?

Not sure about the person, but their list? I joined in 2010, and so only remember the Cups from then till now, but i'd still say that any list that gets to the final 4 of a Cup would have to be all those words you used above to some extent. We don't all like the same things exactly, but the Cup is kinda of a leveller of our core tastes, the place where the taste circles have to meet or you don't get too far. So i would say the winner, and those who can get to the top couple, are really good at making lists of music they like that many others at BCB like too, whether it be old, new, borrowed or blue. Does it mean they have good taste? In BCB terms, i'd say yes. For a classical music forum, i'd say hell no.
Last edited by fange on 29 Jan 2016, 07:42, edited 1 time in total.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 29 Jan 2016, 07:41

apricot in form of beef wrote:So what are we rewarding here, then?

When I asked once what constitutes a winning list, I think it was G who said 'When you see it, you know'. That sounds pretty trite, but I'm starting to understand it.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 29 Jan 2016, 07:47

fange wrote:
apricot in form of beef wrote:What does it say about the person who wins? About their lists?

Not sure about the person, but their list? I joined in 2010, and so only remember the Cups from then till now, but i'd still say that any list that gets to the final 4 of a Cup would have to be all those words you used above to some extent. We don't all like the same things exactly, but the Cup is kinda of a leveller of our core tastes, the place where the taste circles have to meet or you don't get too far. So i would say the winner, and those who can get to the top couple, are really good at making lists of music they like that many others at BCB like too, whether it be old, new, borrowed or blue.

OCT

Postby OCT » 29 Jan 2016, 07:56

I don't think that's true anymore.

But I'll leave it there - it's not really worth discussing.

Enjoy!

fange

Postby fange » 29 Jan 2016, 08:00

Why? :?: What's the difference between the lists a couple of years ago and the lists now, or at least those that do ok? And don't say the obscure tracks, because almost all the lists have some tracks which aren't well known to all, always have.
Jonny Spencer wrote:

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 29 Jan 2016, 09:13

sloopjohnc wrote:If it's just forced obscurity for obscurity's sake, then I count it against people. I basically say to myself, "You made me click and listen for two minutes to this shit?"

How do you know if it's forced obscurity? I can't make that call, and I don't know how you can.
Saving my holier-than-thou nonsense for a more deserving cause since '82