Comments

Samoan

Re: Comments

Postby Samoan » 01 Feb 2016, 09:48

SEX APE wrote:Any way this section could be 'stretched out' a bit, so when you click on the subforum you can see all the threads laid out one by one?

It's a bit strange to have all these old threads listed there and this current one sort of squashed up in an unopened box at the top there.

Agreed. It would certainly help with foot fall, so to speak, and get non contestants viewing, listening and voting.

Is it technically possible to do so at this stage ?
If it is, perhaps an Admin would have the time to do so ?
Nikki Gradual wrote: Santana is just lift music really, isn’t it?

PENK
Midnight to Six Man

Postby PENK » 01 Feb 2016, 20:45

Those of you who have voted in match 10 might want to check back as list B has now provided links.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Feb 2016, 03:40

When someone abstains (I never have), does that mean they can't find even one song to like on either list? Or is it that they're just disenchanted in a general way?

Look up here, I'm in heaven

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Moleskin
Location: We began to notice that we could be free, And we moved together to the West.

Postby Moleskin » 02 Feb 2016, 13:50

Loki wrote:When someone abstains (I never have), does that mean they can't find even one song to like on either list? Or is it that they're just disenchanted in a general way?

I can only speak for myself. It'd mean that neither list inspires me. One song i like on a list would not be sufficient for me to vote for an otherwise "meh" selection, much as one song I dislike preventing me voting for an otherwise "yahoo" list.
@hewsim
-the artist formerly known as comrade moleskin-
-the unforgettable waldo jeffers-

Jug Band Music
my own music

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Feb 2016, 16:48

Loki wrote:When someone abstains (I never have), does that mean they can't find even one song to like on either list? Or is it that they're just disenchanted in a general way?

This cropped up a year or so ago to when people were abstaining left and right and announcing it. Someone, I forget who, responded - just don't vote rather than announcing your disdain.

I typically don't announce abstentions - sometimes I come across a list where I don't know the songs or the artists that well. I try to find the time to come back later and listen, but if I can't, I silently abstain because I don't want to slam another's list and reward another's due to my musical ignorance.

CAN
hounds people off the board

Postby CAN » 02 Feb 2016, 16:49

Who knows? It depends on the individual, doesn't it?
mission wrote:the self-satisfied smug cunts like that moron Copehead

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 02 Feb 2016, 16:55

SEX APE wrote:Any way this section could be 'stretched out' a bit, so when you click on the subforum you can see all the threads laid out one by one?

It's a bit strange to have all these old threads listed there and this current one sort of squashed up in an unopened box at the top there.

Don't forget, we've seen your kitchen sink. You should talk about organization.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 02 Feb 2016, 17:00

sloopjohnc wrote:
This cropped up a year or so ago to when people were abstaining left and right and announcing it. Someone, I forget who, responded - just don't vote rather than announcing your disdain.

I typically don't announce abstentions - sometimes I come across a list where I don't know the songs or the artists that well. I try to find the time to come back later and listen, but if I can't, I silently abstain because I don't want to slam another's list and reward another's due to my musical ignorance.

As has been mentioned before when this issue arises, by actually posting on the thread, albeit an abstention, it marks that thread with a star, thus giving a quick view of where you have posted and where not.

This may be of use to some. It could for example stop you accidentally voting twice on the same tie :D
We're way past rhubarb

CAN

Postby CAN » 02 Feb 2016, 17:12

sloopjohnc wrote:

Don't forget, we've seen your kitchen sink. You should talk about organization.

OY! I'm very organised these days. I even do the washing-up before the weekend!

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 02 Feb 2016, 17:30

sloopjohnc wrote:I don't want to slam another's list and reward another's due to my musical ignorance.

But isn't that the very essence of the cup?
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

When the ball sleeps it dreams it is a Frisbee

Do what thou wilt shall be the whole of the law. Love is the law, love under will

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Feb 2016, 21:14

Caravan Veranda wrote:

Of course it does, that's why I'm asking, dumbass!

;)

CAN

Postby CAN » 02 Feb 2016, 21:34

Loki wrote:
Caravan Veranda wrote:

Of course it does, that's why I'm asking, dumbass!

;)

:?

So how can I answer?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Feb 2016, 21:40

Aw, I thought that might make you laugh.

How can you answer? Um, from your own personal experience.

CAN

Postby CAN » 02 Feb 2016, 22:08

I abstain when neither list looks very interesting and/or it doesn't look like either contestant made much of an effort.

I think it can partly be down to mood, to be honest. Sometimes I just can't be fucked. It's like looking out of the window, seeing it's raining, and deciding not to go out.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 03 Feb 2016, 01:13

This game is too fast for me. I keep missing all the voting!
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Feb 2016, 02:22

Caravan Veranda wrote:I think it can partly be down to mood, to be honest. Sometimes I just can't be fucked. It's like looking out of the window, seeing it's raining, and deciding not to go out.

Good way to put it.

martha
rambling rose

Postby martha » 04 Feb 2016, 15:12

Sorry to 15 -- I missed the vote -- had life stuff happening at home and your lists were both unfamiliar enought to me that they needed a serious listen off for me to decide. Mea culpa.
:oops:
--m.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 08 Feb 2016, 01:25

It seems - so far in this round - that people took to heart the comments re using old faves, such as The Stooges, VU, Bowie, Modern Lovers, Dream Syndicate, etc. etc. and are going deeper this time.

Or it was just a strategy [in Round 1] to avoid an early exit; then change it up. Either way, this is refreshing.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Feb 2016, 18:27

martha wrote:the music lover in me likes that they don't kick this thing off with the Beastie Boys.

I laughed out loud at this one because it's so antithetical and alien to my own idea of music enjoyment.

The Beastie Boys give me just another reason to love music.

It's like saying the food lover in me likes that this restaurant doesn't serve the best chili dogs in the world. I get that not everyone likes chili dogs, but I feel bad that you can't even appreciate that someone might.

The stench of condescension and arrogance is pretty strong in this Jedi.

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 09 Feb 2016, 19:26

Sabotage beats just about everything else served up in the Cup on its own.