BCB Cup Final - a few facts (or, how to win the Cup)

Spec

BCB Cup Final - a few facts (or, how to win the Cup)

Postby Spec » 04 Mar 2016, 16:53

A few facts and figures about the final (some of these may be wrong because I relied on the not always reliable internet)

Years

Dates of release are sometimes confusing as they sometimes list recording date and not release date, other times songs may have been re-released)

The oldest song was from 1957 (Fange)
The most recent was 2015 (two from Ted Maul)

by decade, across both lists:

1950s - 5%
1960s - 17.5%
1970s - 37.5%
1980s - 5%
1990s - 22.5%
2000s - 5%
2010s - 7.5%

Both lists had a similar spread across the decades

Peak years:
1967 - 4
1971 - 4
1972 - 4

Lean years:

no choices between 1960-1965, or 1984-1989, or 2001-2007, or 2009-2013

Half the choices were between 1967 and 1976

Spec

Re: BCB Cup Final - a few facts (or, how to win the Cup)

Postby Spec » 04 Mar 2016, 17:05

Male, female etc

(Not always straightforward for example some artists are solo in name but clearly part of band)

Women didn't do well. From the final 40:

Male solo artists - 32.5%
Female solo artists - 5%
Male (or male fronted) bands - 50%
Female (of female fronted) bands - 10%
Male and female - 2.5% (Ike and Tina)

90% of Fange's list was male

By ethinicity

65% White
35% Black

Spec

Postby Spec » 04 Mar 2016, 17:19

Genre

This is almost impossible to do so I've grouped them into larger categories (there are songs / artists that cover a number of genres).

R&B / Soul - 25%
Indie / indie rock / Brit pop - 25%
Rock / krautrock - 22.5%
Rock n Roll - 7.5%
Punk / Post Punk - 7.5%
Electronic - 5%
Jazz - 2.5%
Folk - 2.5%
Reggae - 2.5%

Only one jazz and one folk song in the final 40. More surprisingly, only one krautrock

Origins

I've not had time to look at this but I think that all but three artists in the final 40 are from the US or UK (possibly Canada). There is one from Cuba, one from Jamaica and one from Germany.

Finally, even though there are some big names on both lists no artist appears on both lists (the nearest being the Ikettes / Ike and Tina Turner)

Ranking Ted

Postby Ranking Ted » 04 Mar 2016, 21:30

Great stuff, Spec. I'm pretty happy about getting to the final, touch and go as it was at times to get there (saved by the 48 hour cut off in the QF). I think the thing that's really striking is how difficult it is now to get a list that's not a recycle of previous entries after ten years of the Cup. Added to the fact that most of my best shots have been fired previously in what I reckon were stronger lists (though not as successful).

Most of the picks were probably within most people's tolerances although I guess the Earl Brutus track went down pretty badly. I've been trying to select artists that in the main I'd not used before and when I read an article by Bob Stanley rather ridiculously citing them as the best UK band of the 90s, I thought of the track I picked, a scabrous slice of grot glam that I dig. Not the most Cup friendly track in retrospect.

The other mea culpa was that it turns out I'd used Dirty Epic from Underworld's still thumping Dubnobasswithmyheadman in the inaugural Cup all those years ago. Duh. Apart from those, and the other tracks probably explain themselves. I also picked up my usual quota of downloads this year - from the Ben E King in fange's list to things like Cymande, Garland Jeffreys and Jackie Mittoo. Good work folks.

German Dave
Utter Cad

Postby German Dave » 04 Mar 2016, 22:12

Spec wrote:Women didn't do well. From the final 40:

Female solo artists - 5%

Kid P and I have talked about how we both love 60s and 70s soul singers but he leans towards the male side whereas I am subconsciously drawn to the female torch songs....
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.

fange

Postby fange » 05 Mar 2016, 00:48

Nice work, Spec!

It's interesting even to me to see it broken down like that into such raw numbers, because in real time - as in when I was trying to choose songs for each of the rounds - the exact year of each song, the number of male vs. female artists, and the country of origin of each artist wasn't something I thought much about.

Ok, here's my 2-cents worth about the Cup...

The overall aim of a Cup list as I see it is - Create an enjoyable list of songs that you like/love that other people will like/love too.

For better or worse, that means you need to stick to a few guidelines, just as if you are burning a CD of songs for a friend that you hope they will like! You know their tastes in general, so you follow those styles. You play around with those tastes a little and mix them into an interesting sequence, try and surprise them a tune or two they don't know but might like, and basically make a playlist they will really like to spin.

That late-60s and 70s period which is highlighted as having the most songs is the true core listening area for the majority of BCB people. I would have LOVED to add more 50s rock and roll & R&B as well as more jazz, but those aren't the core tastes of the people i'm 'mixing' for. I think that's the key, and sometimes the constraints of that rubs people the wrong way.

Every year we get the "obvious vs. obscure" debate, and there ARE of course two sides to the argument. Having a list made up of totally well-known classics is no fun, but then neither is a big list made up of mostly little-known artists and songs. The song vs. song comps offer a better format I think for showing some of the lesser known tracks, as well as giving people a chance to digest them properly and discuss them too. But in big lists, this gets hard. In the Cup, a good balance of both well-known and obscure is something to really aim for, and is kind of an art in itself. It doesn't have to be a big music lesson, but there is not a single person among us who doesn't like to discover a great new track.

Anyway, that's just my thoughts on it. In the end it's just a bit of fun, and for me a good way to listen to more music, to discover/rediscover stuff, and something to keep me from doing proper and boring work.

xo
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 06 Mar 2016, 19:40

Spec wrote:Male, female etc

Women didn't do well. From the final 40:

Female solo artists - 5%
Male (or male fronted) bands - 50%
Female (of female fronted) bands - 10%
Male and female - 2.5% (Ike and Tina)

90% of Fange's list was male

Spec wrote:

Origins

I've not had time to look at this but I think that all but three artists in the final 40 are from the US or UK (possibly Canada). There is one from Cuba, one from Jamaica and one from Germany.

:(
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

fange

Postby fange » 28 Jun 2017, 10:55

8-)
Jonny Spencer wrote:
fange wrote:I've got my quad pants on and i'm ready for some Cock.

By CHRIST you're a man after my own sideways sausage, Ange!