Best city to visit as a tourist

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

Best city to visit as a tourist

London
10
32%
Paris
4
13%
Nice
1
3%
Rome
1
3%
Barcelona
5
16%
New York City
8
26%
Berlin
1
3%
Hong Kong
0
No votes
Tokyo
0
No votes
Rio de Janeiro
1
3%
 
Total votes: 31

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 09 Nov 2010, 16:02

The most suspect names are things like 'Rome of the East' or 'Venice of the North'. Usually used to describe shitholes such as Bucharest or Miskolc.

User avatar
Scally Mcgrew
apparent poobah
Posts: 14943
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:09
Location: ToonTown

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Scally Mcgrew » 09 Nov 2010, 19:23

I just love cities.

Like London a lot, love Edinburgh and Glasgow, think Liverpool and Newcastle are ace (natch)...and that's just in Britain.

I've not been out of Europe, I'm afraid, so my city visiting is relatively limited.

However.....

Barcelona I absolutely love. We've been there three times and only scratched the surface, so we'll be going a few more times. Of course, it helps to have a canny Geordie as a sometime guide (even if he doesn't like shandy drinkers!).

Prague is where we spent our honeymoon, and it's a gorgeous place. Buildings, history, food.....mwah!

I've been to Paris a couple of times and liked it a lot. Ditto Amsterdam.

Now, Krakow.....what a glorious place! Stunning architecture, great food, a strong sense of it's own history.....I'd recommend it to anyone.
...for breakfast I eat nails and chains...

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33788
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby PENK » 09 Nov 2010, 20:03

Sir John Coan wrote:The most suspect names are things like 'Rome of the East' or 'Venice of the North'. Usually used to describe shitholes such as Bucharest or Miskolc.


Actually, it's Stockholm that gets the "Venice of the North" thing. It is a misnomer, as Venice has an intricate manmade canal system while Stockholm is just built on a load of islands:

Image

Note giant shadow in bottom right, possibly of invading alien mothership.

It's also "The Capital of Scandinavia", which basically just means it's bigger and makes more money than Copenhagen.

The weirdest one is Norrköping, which is understandably known as Sweden's Manchester (old industrial town sprucing itself up with museums and so on), but also commonly referred to as "Peking". No, me neither.
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Nov 2010, 20:12

GoogaMooga wrote:Paris - The City of Lights
Rome - The Eternal City
New York - The Big Apple
New Orleans - The Big Easy
Tokyo - The Big Mikan
London - The Big Smoke
Chicago - The Windy City

any other nicknames?


San Francisco's been called Paris of the West and columnist, Herb Caen, called it Baghdad by the Bay.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33788
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby PENK » 09 Nov 2010, 20:23

I believe Barnsley is known as "The Gaza Strip of Yorkshire".
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 60303
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12
Location: One quake away from beachfront property
Contact:

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby sloopjohnc » 09 Nov 2010, 20:23

penk wrote:I believe Barnsley is known as "The Gaza Strip of Yorkshire".


Catchy.
Sneelock wrote:You’ll like her better after she dies. Siouxsie won’t ever die. She’s a vampire or some shit.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Nov 2010, 20:31

Stockholm is not bigger than Copenhagen.
1966 and all that

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33788
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby PENK » 09 Nov 2010, 20:34

GoogaMooga wrote:Stockholm is not bigger than Copenhagen.


Depends whether you're talking about "city" or "metropolitan" area. Most people who live in Stockholm live outside the "city", which is actually a pretty small area. So in that sense Copenhagen's maybe bigger.
Edit: it appears Stockholm "city" is bigger too.

*marks "highest piss" line on wall*
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies
Posts: 23688
Joined: 28 Sep 2010, 05:23
Location: Denmark

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby GoogaMooga » 09 Nov 2010, 21:37

penk wrote:
GoogaMooga wrote:Stockholm is not bigger than Copenhagen.


Depends whether you're talking about "city" or "metropolitan" area. Most people who live in Stockholm live outside the "city", which is actually a pretty small area. So in that sense Copenhagen's maybe bigger.
Edit: it appears Stockholm "city" is bigger too.

*marks "highest piss" line on wall*


Stockholm city may be bigger, but if you count metropolitan area, Copenhagen is bigger with 1.5 million.
1966 and all that

User avatar
PENK
Midnight to Six Man
Posts: 33788
Joined: 07 Aug 2004, 20:12
Location: Stockholm

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby PENK » 09 Nov 2010, 21:57

GoogaMooga wrote:Stockholm city may be bigger, but if you count metropolitan area, Copenhagen is bigger


:?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_metropolitan_areas_in_Europe_by_population#List
Copehead wrote:I have met Gruff Rhys - although he claimed he wasn't and that he couldn't speak Welsh, as I spoke to him in Welsh, but it was him lying bastard.

User avatar
trans-chigley express
Posts: 16740
Joined: 11 Nov 2003, 01:50
Location: Asia's WC

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby trans-chigley express » 09 Nov 2010, 23:08

GoogaMooga wrote:Paris - The City of Lights
Rome - The Eternal City
New York - The Big Apple
New Orleans - The Big Easy
Tokyo - The Big Mikan
London - The Big Smoke
Chicago - The Windy City

any other nicknames?


Hong Kong - Pearl of the Orient although I don't think there is any 'official' nickname.

User avatar
echolalia
Posts: 4164
Joined: 21 Jul 2006, 02:23
Location: Way Out West

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby echolalia » 09 Nov 2010, 23:24

sloopjohnc wrote:
penk wrote:I believe Barnsley is known as "The Gaza Strip of Yorkshire".


Catchy.

Or "Gaza - Barnsley of the East", even.

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22536
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Deebank » 10 Nov 2010, 08:28

GoogaMooga wrote:Paris - The City of Lights
Rome - The Eternal City
New York - The Big Apple
New Orleans - The Big Easy
Tokyo - The Big Mikan
London - The Big Smoke
Chicago - The Windy City

any other nicknames?


Bangor - Athen y gogledd
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11927
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Geezee » 10 Nov 2010, 09:52

Wow, having just spent 3 days in Prague, with room for 3 hours of touristing, I have to agree about its rep - I want to go back, and soon. I went into "hyper tourism" mode yesterday morning - beautiful weather - and managed to tick the big sites (castle, old town, new town, lennon wall etc), although of course i had no time to actually go into any of the places or museums. I want to go back.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Geezee
Posts: 11927
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 10:14
Location: Where joy divides into vision

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Geezee » 10 Nov 2010, 10:11

penk wrote:The weirdest one is Norrköping, which is understandably known as Sweden's Manchester (old industrial town sprucing itself up with museums and so on), but also commonly referred to as "Peking". No, me neither.


Sweden likes nicknames for pretty much everything - people, places, things. My grandparents specifically named their son, my uncle, the most "serious" name they could think of that would be almost impossible to have a nickname for. Of course, come 3rd grade, he still ended up with a nickname, "Burken", despite having nothing to do with his name.

And there is (sort of) a rationale for Peking - Norrkoping ("the north market") got the name from Sven Hedin, a (relatively) famous Swedish traveller (and pseudo-Nazi) who went around Asia, and came back at one point and held a lecture in Norrkoping...he mentioned that Peking actually means "the northern commercial centre" in Chinese, and it didn't take too long before Norrkoping claimed that for its own. The supporters for the football team (where Thomas Brolin, for example, came from) are called Peking Fans.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

User avatar
Deebank
Resonator
Posts: 22536
Joined: 10 Oct 2003, 13:47
Location: In a beautiful place out in the country

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Deebank » 11 Nov 2010, 12:26

G-Z wrote:
penk wrote:The weirdest one is Norrköping, which is understandably known as Sweden's Manchester (old industrial town sprucing itself up with museums and so on), but also commonly referred to as "Peking". No, me neither.


Sweden likes nicknames for pretty much everything - people, places, things. My grandparents specifically named their son, my uncle, the most "serious" name they could think of that would be almost impossible to have a nickname for. Of course, come 3rd grade, he still ended up with a nickname, "Burken", despite having nothing to do with his name.

And there is (sort of) a rationale for Peking - Norrkoping ("the north market") got the name from Sven Hedin, a (relatively) famous Swedish traveller (and pseudo-Nazi) who went around Asia, and came back at one point and held a lecture in Norrkoping...he mentioned that Peking actually means "the northern commercial centre" in Chinese, and it didn't take too long before Norrkoping claimed that for its own. The supporters for the football team (where Thomas Brolin, for example, came from) are called Peking Fans.


Do you think the english word 'shopping' comes from the norse/swedish 'koping'?
(K is pronounced 'sh' in Swedish)
Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 45867
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby Quaco » 11 Nov 2010, 17:23

Deebank wrote:Do you think the english word 'shopping' comes from the norse/swedish 'koping'?
(K is pronounced 'sh' in Swedish)

My dictionary says that shop comes from Middle English shoppe, which comes from Old English sceoppa "booth", akin to Old High German scopf "shed". (I do not know if this is related to the Swedish in some way. In modern German, "shed" is Schuppen.)
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
German Dave
Utter Cad
Posts: 50125
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:22
Location: 16 Beasley Street

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby German Dave » 11 Nov 2010, 18:29

The Prof wrote:Wolverhampton

Image


Phwoar!
kewl klive wrote:A deluxe Sandinista! was pulled when only one outtake could be found.


User avatar
quix
Posts: 6364
Joined: 11 Apr 2007, 13:49
Location: La la land

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby quix » 11 Nov 2010, 18:40

Admiral G wrote:
Quix wrote:florence...

beautiful architecture, lovely food, great shops and markets, wonderful museums and art galleries... small enough to walk everywhere...

maybe not "the" best... but very high up on my list as at least one of the best...


A bit too small for me.


i'll tell them to make it bigger.

User avatar
bhoywonder
The Magnificent
Posts: 27391
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:06
Location: Bristol, UK
Contact:

Re: Best city to visit as a tourist

Postby bhoywonder » 05 Sep 2012, 15:55

Havana is pretty much amazing, I'd say.