Amsterdam

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Amsterdam

Postby naughty boy » 04 Sep 2017, 22:11

I'm thinking of having a few days there later in the month.

What's worth seeing/doing?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Amsterdam

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Sep 2017, 12:50

I've been about 5/6 times but a while ago now (last time was 2009)

I can't remember much beyond the coffee shops but...

the Van Gogh museum is a must
The Anne Frank house is depressing as hell
There are some very nice parks
Central station is nice
I don't recall the food being particularly great
Try not to get run over by a tall Dutchperson on a bike

That's not very helpful, is it?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Sep 2017, 16:18

I heard there are a lot of good Indonesian restaurants there.

I'm now wondering about fucking off for a month around the South Balkans, might get to see Albania finally. Or maybe a week in Helsinki.

You can get Interrail passes at any age, you know!

https://www.interrail.eu/en/interrail-passes
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

toomanyhatz
Power-mad king of the WCC
Location: Just east of where Charlie Parker went to do some relaxin'

Postby toomanyhatz » 05 Sep 2017, 18:01

Goat Boy wrote:I don't recall the food being particularly great

Unless we have completely different taste in food, this blows my mind.

OK, Dutch food is not very good. But Amsterdam's the best international food destination I've ever been to. Everything from a pita pocket for 4 Euros to an expensive sushi meal was had there (I've been twice) and it was all amazing. And the Indonesian food is plentiful and excellent. As good as Mexican food in Southern California or Indian food in the UK. I had one meal that was less than excellent, and that was breakfast in a coffee shop.

Yes I was quite high for a lot of it, but not that high that I couldn't discern good food from bad.
Footy wrote:
The Who / Jimi Hendrix Experience Saville Theatre, London Jan '67
. Got Jimi's autograph after the show and went on to see him several times that year

1959 1963 1965 1966 1974 1977 1978 1981 1988 2017* 2018 2020!! 2023?

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 05 Sep 2017, 19:33

I agree good Indonesian and Turkish restaurants.

Sites:
The Van Gogh museum -excellent
The Rembrandt museum is good too
The Anne Frank house although agree depressing
They also have several cool open markets including the flower markets.
also agree nice parks.

The sex museum is a laugh.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Sep 2017, 19:40

Hodgson wrote: Or maybe a week in Helsinki.

Helsinki's nice but you can do it in a day. The people all stay indoors and eat weird rice doughnuts.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 05 Sep 2017, 20:21

My kinda place!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Sep 2017, 22:40

toomanyhatz wrote:
Goat Boy wrote:I don't recall the food being particularly great

Unless we have completely different taste in food, this blows my mind.

OK, Dutch food is not very good. But Amsterdam's the best international food destination I've ever been to. Everything from a pita pocket for 4 Euros to an expensive sushi meal was had there (I've been twice) and it was all amazing. And the Indonesian food is plentiful and excellent. As good as Mexican food in Southern California or Indian food in the UK. I had one meal that was less than excellent, and that was breakfast in a coffee shop.

Yes I was quite high for a lot of it, but not that high that I couldn't discern good food from bad.

I was thinking more about Dutch food than the foreign stuff but I've had a couple of dodgy curries there too.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 08 Sep 2017, 12:13

**SEX COCK** wrote:I'm now wondering about fucking off for a month around the South Balkans, might get to see Albania finally.

I'd love to see more of the Balkans. I've been to Romania, Bulgaria, Greece & Turkey, but I'd really like to travel to almost all the others, especially the former Yugoslav countries.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 08 Sep 2017, 13:24

The Rijksmuseum is open now too, it has been closed for over 10 years for renovations. Great to see the Nigth Watch.

The Leidseplein is the start of the entertainment quarter with both Paradiso and De Melkweg close by and plenty of bars, restaurants and coffee shops. The West part with its small canals leads to the Jordaan and its cosy cafes.
The Chinese and Indonesian food in the Netherlands is quite different from what is being served elsewhere in the world but it is delicious. Dutch food itself is regarded as unremarkable- the Dutch are mostly about meat and 3 veg or mashed potatoes and veg, greasy snacks like kroketten and frikadellen, lots of different soups and possibly the best part, an extensive breakfast table with plenty of meats, cheeses, jams and spreads and other condiments.

Amsterdam itself is nice for a day of two but Holland is small and you can travel anywhere within a timeframe of 3 hours.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 10 Sep 2017, 18:27

The Resistance Museum was excellent- I think they've moved and expanded it since my visit.

The house with the church in the attic also - it's right on the edge of the Red Light district, but you can ignore that; unusual and atmospheric.

Also enjoyed the uber touristy canal boat trips. One thing we didn't do was visit the cat sanctuary on a barge. I'm sure you'd love it.

Best thing, though, was just walking along the canals at night - beautiful!
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 11 Sep 2017, 00:12

Ooh also the Spanish Synagogue is really beautiful.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 12 Sep 2017, 20:09

Great for two or three days. Must do's.

A canal boat trip.
Rijksmuseum is wonderful
Just walking around is great . see if you can find the Chapman Brothers rip off shop.
Nutella
You will need to book in advance to get into the Van Gogh, but there a lots in the Rijks if you can't get in.
Don't bother with Rembrandt's House. It is rubbish
Do watch out for the nazi cyclists, who will run you off the pavement at every opportunity.
You don't like me...do you?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 12 Sep 2017, 23:45

yomptepi wrote:Do watch out for the nazi cyclists, who will run you off the pavement at every opportunity.

Oh, I had more than enough of that in Berlin. Wankers.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 20 Sep 2017, 22:26

I'm going to Florence instead

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 20 Sep 2017, 23:33

WHOA THERE CHILD wrote:I'm going to Florence instead

:lol:
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 29 Sep 2017, 20:16

Mick Rickenbacker wrote:I'm going to Florence instead

I bet Florence doesn't have a handbag museum, though.

Thang-y

Postby Thang-y » 01 Oct 2017, 15:44

Polishgirl wrote:
Mick Rickenbacker wrote:I'm going to Florence instead

I bet Florence doesn't have a handbag museum, though.

Wait - *handbag* museum? Why did I not know about this? Handbags??? I only made it to the sex museum.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 03 Oct 2017, 07:48

I might make it to Amsterdam next month.

Meanwhile I'm just off to the Uffizi. I fear I'll be overwhelmed...

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Oct 2017, 18:43

Oh yes. I took refuge in it a few years ago from the rain, and it was surprisingly marvellous

Return to “All Around The World”