Updated Venice hints please

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Polishgirl

Updated Venice hints please

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Aug 2017, 06:50

I'm off to Venice next month- annual city break with my trusty gal pal. It was her choice. We went to Vienna last year and I absolutely, desperately fell in love with it, so it's a hard act to follow for me.

I've booked an Air Bnb in Cannaregio. We're also planning a day to either Verona or Padua.

I'd really appreciate hints/ tips - especially for things off the beaten track; an update on the older Venice thread.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Brickyard Jack

Re: Updated Venice hints please

Postby Brickyard Jack » 21 Aug 2017, 18:08

Polishgirl wrote:I'm off to Venice next month- annual city break with my trusty gal pal. It was her choice. We went to Vienna last year and I absolutely, desperately fell in love with it, so it's a hard act to follow for me.

I've booked an Air Bnb in Cannaregio. We're also planning a day to either Verona or Padua.

I'd really appreciate hints/ tips - especially for things off the beaten track; an update on the older Venice thread.

Just wander about at night. I will see if I can find the restaurants we ate at - they were decent - my wife checked reviews on trip advisor.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 23 Aug 2017, 13:59

Try to learn and speak just a little Veneto - it goes a LONG way.

Don't eat in any restaurants that have a tourist menu.

This is a good place http://antichecarampane.com/it/

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 14 Dec 2017, 17:08

going with David on March
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 28 Dec 2017, 18:21

We walked everywhere. It was the best thing to do - seeing the less crowded bits of the city was wonderful. The obvious bits are absolutely chockablock with tourists ( I think the number of cruise ships that calls in has something to do with that) so you have to grit your teeth and not be in a hurry. It's all worth seeing, of course, but you just have to be prepared for the crowds.

Stuff what I especially enjoyed:

The Jewish Museum, which is small but very well done, with their tour of the local synagogues- really, truly fascinating.

we did a free walking tour on our first day which was ideal for us, as I'd only been before for a day when I was 14 and my friend had never been. They steer clear of the main attractions, and give you a really good walk round some of the other districts. You don't pay up front; you just tip after. We thought it was excellent

http://www.venicefreewalkingtour.com/

The other thing we did was a sort of behind the scenes tour of the Doge's Palace. I think it was 19 euros each, but it includes entry to the main bits of the Palace anyway ( which is about 14 euros). It was fascinating- covering the prison, the mechanisms of the state, and Casnova's imprisonment and escape.

http://palazzoducale.visitmuve.it/en/the-museum/layout-and-collections/secret-itineraries/

If you're looking for accomm, we stayed here, and it ticked all the boxes. Just a minute away from the boat stop where the airport boats stop, plus the normall vaporetti, a decent Co-op less than 10 minutes away, in a really interesting, not too touristy area, good cafes etc round the corner, and 20 minutes ace walk to St Mark's Square etc.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/rooms/9039288

Oh! and soft drinks are more expensive than booze. I became very partial to an Aperol spritzer.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 16 Sep 2018, 09:44

Off next Tuesday - four nights in Venice, then five nights in Bardi (the ancestral home!)

Booked the St. Mark's Square tour for the Friday night

Polishgirl wrote:we did a free walking tour on our first day which was ideal for us, as I'd only been before for a day when I was 14 and my friend had never been. They steer clear of the main attractions, and give you a really good walk round some of the other districts. You don't pay up front; you just tip after. We thought it was excellent

http://www.venicefreewalkingtour.com/

thanks for the suggestion!

I'm thinking about seeing the Guggenheim collection, too - anyone been?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 16 Sep 2018, 20:55

David and I went to go but arrived just behind a noisy school party, so didn't go in the end. We went into the shop which was extortionate.

The Doge's Palace is fabulous as is the Jewish Museum although it's sickening that the Jewish Museum has to have additional security measures including airport style security for bags. We took the boat over to San Giorgio Maggiore which has a fantastic view of Venice from the tower, well worth a trip over.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 17 Sep 2018, 10:57

David in the Doge's Palace

View from San Giorgio Maggiore
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Sep 2018, 15:29

Try and see the canals; very magical.
Especially the ‘Grand Canal’. It’s bigger than the others, but not really more ‘grand’.
Avoid the gondolas. Slower than a water taxi, and ours insisted on singing some opera stuff, like it was going to earn him a tip or something.

But do get just a little off the beaten track, if only by a couple of streets- the throng soon this out and it can feel
like you have the place to yourselves.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 17 Sep 2018, 17:54

Thanks fellas!

I've been before (a couple of times, actually) but didn't really see many sights for one reason or another.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 22 Sep 2018, 10:27

Just about to leave. It's been great, but very busy (as expected - it's difficult to walk around). The free walking tour of St. Mark's Square was excellent. Young Tuscan student, loads of information, solid stuff. Thoroughly recommended. I almost went for a coffee in Cafe Florian to follow in Casanova's footsteps (or so legend would have it) but it would have set me back 16 euros. And, as the tour guide said, the music those string quartets play has fuck-all to do with Venice.

And now a last coffee before getting the train to Parma (via Bologna).

Oh, Venice...

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 24 Dec 2018, 02:45

'OOH YEAH' at Christmas wrote:follow in Casanova's footsteps ... but it would have set me back 16 euros.

That's cheap!
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 24 Dec 2018, 06:56

Quaco wrote:
'OOH YEAH' at Christmas wrote:follow in Casanova's footsteps ... but it would have set me back 16 euros.

That's cheap!

:)

for ONE COFFEE?

but yeah - I should have done it. Next time...

Return to “All Around The World”