10 day trip to England

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
sloopjohnc

10 day trip to England

Postby sloopjohnc » 03 Aug 2017, 23:55

My son and I (maybe daughter too) are thinking about taking 10 day or so trip to England. Fly into Manchester and visit friend in Chester. Then on to Liverpool and visit some friends there. So that's two or three days. I was thinking heading to Wales from Chester and then maybe flying back to California out of Gatwick/Heathrow.

Any ideas for seven days?

Not interested in London and surrounding environs for more than maybe half a day, most. If any.

Remember, I have a 15 year-old boy with me, and maybe a 22 year-old young woman.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: 10 day trip to England

Postby naughty boy » 04 Aug 2017, 07:19

The Lake District isn't far and is worth a couple of days for sure.

York?

Not interested in Scotland? You're only talking about a three-hour train ride out of Manchester.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Aug 2017, 07:46

Hop on a plane and go to France instead.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Aug 2017, 09:41

The Lake District is very nice.

Like Coan said, Glasgow and Edinburgh are only a few short hours away. You could even push further up and visit places like Glencoe.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 04 Aug 2017, 09:45

Are you driving?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 04 Aug 2017, 10:55

If you are driving, a meander down from Wales to the Cotswolds, Wiltshire, Somerset and Devon and back along the Dorset Coast to Heathrow is very possible. Lots of stuff to see, some beautiful countryside to boot too.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 Aug 2017, 14:00

sloopjohnc wrote:My son and I (maybe daughter too) are thinking about taking 10 day or so trip to England. Fly into Manchester and visit friend in Chester. Then on to Liverpool and visit some friends there. So that's two or three days. I was thinking heading to Wales from Chester and then maybe flying back to California out of Gatwick/Heathrow.

Any ideas for seven days?

Not interested in London and surrounding environs for more than maybe half a day, most. If any.

Remember, I have a 15 year-old boy with me, and maybe a 22 year-old young woman.

When is this. I'm planning a Bay Area trip. Could be the ideal time

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 05 Aug 2017, 00:36

I'm not sure why people are saying you should go to Scotland when you're in Chester and on the doorstep of Wales.
You'll find absolutely stunning scenery in North Wales, you could drive through the Berwyn Mountains on to Snowdonia.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 05 Aug 2017, 12:45

Take a roadtrip southeast which will take you through some of Europe's most classically beautiful and culturally exciting cities: Stoke, Wolverhampton, Coventry, Nuneaton, Milton Keynes and Luton.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 05 Aug 2017, 13:49

The Modernist wrote:I'm not sure why people are saying you should go to Scotland when you're in Chester and on the doorstep of Wales.
You'll find absolutely stunning scenery in North Wales, you could drive through the Berwyn Mountains on to Snowdonia.

i loved north wales.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 05 Aug 2017, 14:26

K wrote:If you do spend any time in Manchester, give me a shout. You can look at the bald head that Gash likes to joke about.

This sounds amazing.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 05 Aug 2017, 19:15

Don't forget your bike and your prefect badge!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Postby clive gash » 10 Aug 2017, 13:58

K wrote:If you do spend any time in Manchester, give me a shout. You can look at the bald head that Gash likes to joke about.

If the friend he's meeting up with in Chester is who I think it is then sloop's already got that covered.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Aug 2017, 19:19

Goat Boy wrote:Are you driving?

No. I'm going to avoid driving.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Aug 2017, 19:20

The Modernist wrote:I'm not sure why people are saying you should go to Scotland when you're in Chester and on the doorstep of Wales.

That's what I was thinking.

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 15 Aug 2017, 20:03

sloopjohnc wrote:

That's what I was thinking.

I assume they don't know it very well.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 15 Aug 2017, 21:07

neville harp wrote:

If the friend he's meeting up with in Chester is who I think it is then sloop's already got that covered.

No one else will be his friend and he's got my email. And I'm too lazy to change it.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Aug 2017, 16:40

By the way, I'm thinking early Summer or fall of 2018 for this.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 21 Feb 2018, 00:34

The counties on the Welsh/ English border - Inc Shropshire and Herefordshire - are lovely, and not touristy. More castles than you can shake a cudgel at, lush countryside, and numerous characterful towns / villages. Ludlow is a stand-out. Several ' black and white ' villages in Herefordshire, crammed with ancient buildings, and authentic pubs.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 21 Feb 2018, 20:28

Polishgirl wrote:The counties on the Welsh/ English border - Inc Shropshire and Herefordshire - are lovely, and not touristy. More castles than you can shake a cudgel at, lush countryside, and numerous characterful towns / villages. Ludlow is a stand-out. Several ' black and white ' villages in Herefordshire, crammed with ancient buildings, and authentic pubs.

I endorse this post, and lob in Worcestershire too.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

Return to “All Around The World”