Bath and the cotswolds

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Bath and the cotswolds

Postby Goat Boy » 24 Jul 2017, 10:17

The lass and I are going on a wee driving holiday so I'm looking for recommendations for Bath and the Cotswolds, in particular any nice drives in that area but also restaurants, things to do etc
Last edited by Goat Boy on 25 Jul 2017, 11:24, edited 2 times in total.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Bath and the cotswalds

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jul 2017, 21:56

Jumper K, Bhoywonder are probably your best bets.

Oh and it's Cotswolds.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!

Postby The Modernist » 24 Jul 2017, 22:54

Yeah I remember Bhoy gave me loads of tips and recommendations on Bath..unfortunately it was after I'd got back! But he'd be worth a pm.
I loved Bath btw, I'd move their tomorrow if I could. The bus trips are good, it's surprising how high the surrounding hills are.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 24 Jul 2017, 23:14

The Modernist wrote:Yeah I remember Bhoy gave me loads of tips and recommendations on Bath..unfortunately it was after I'd got back! But he'd be worth a pm.
I loved Bath btw, I'd move their tomorrow if I could. The bus trips are good, it's surprising how high the surrounding hills are.

We've had mini-breaks there the past couple of years (for the Xmas market actually) and it's a lovely place. But by christ it's expensive.

We stayed about six miles from Wells, which is a truly astonishing city (the smallest in England, I believe). Besides the Cathedral and Bishops Palace, you also have Vicar's Close, the oldest permanently inhabited unchanged residential street in Europe. Dates back to 1340's, through to 1420.

It's a fantastic little place Wells.
Cocaine

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Re: Bath and the cotswolds

Postby Goat Boy » 25 Jul 2017, 11:30

I think we'll probably camp to save some cash
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 25 Jul 2017, 11:42

You're only 10 miles or so from Glastonbury Tor there as well..... Cheddar Gorge, Wookey Hole etc etc.... beautiful part of the world. Maybe worth asking Yomp too as he's a regular visitor to Frank in Chilcompton.
Cocaine

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 25 Jul 2017, 12:46

Diamond Dog wrote:We've had mini-breaks there the past couple of years (for the Xmas market actually) and it's a lovely place. But by christ it's expensive.

We stayed about six miles from Wells, which is a truly astonishing city (the smallest in England, I believe). Besides the Cathedral and Bishops Palace, you also have Vicar's Close, the oldest permanently inhabited unchanged residential street in Europe. Dates back to 1340's, through to 1420.

It's a fantastic little place Wells.

I don't have much to add ... we were in the neighborhood last XMAS and I was also taken with Wells ... seemed like a great little spot! And the cathedral was the balls ...
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 25 Jul 2017, 23:13

Chipping Campden is especially pretty. It's posh and monied, but all the nice places are round there anyway. The Slaughters are very quaint. Roman museum in Cirencester was good- even for me with my very little interest in that sort of thing. Stow on the Wold and Moreton in Marsh are OK too.

You're spoilt for stately homes/ National Trust etc. I get bored with fancy tweedy stuff, but Kiftsgate Gardens are lovely, great for photography as it's rambling and has a striking oriental garden. Sudeley Castle is very pretty and has links to Elizabeth I and all that era.

But my absolute favourite is Chastleton House, which has been preserved, rather than restored, by the National Trust. It's ramshackle and incredibly atmospheric. I think the last resident was some mad cat woman and you can still see where her cats shredded the soft furnishings. It's got rare fabrics and Jacobite glass, and it's where the rules of croquet were codified. but don't let that put you off.

My favourite place to eat is the Horse and Groom at Bourton on the Hill.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 26 Jul 2017, 13:22

Polishgirl wrote:Chipping Campden is especially pretty. It's posh and monied, but all the nice places are round there anyway. The Slaughters are very quaint. Roman museum in Cirencester was good- even for me with my very little interest in that sort of thing. Stow on the Wold and Moreton in Marsh are OK too.

You're spoilt for stately homes/ National Trust etc. I get bored with fancy tweedy stuff, but Kiftsgate Gardens are lovely, great for photography as it's rambling and has a striking oriental garden. Sudeley Castle is very pretty and has links to Elizabeth I and all that era.

But my absolute favourite is Chastleton House, which has been preserved, rather than restored, by the National Trust. It's ramshackle and incredibly atmospheric. I think the last resident was some mad cat woman and you can still see where her cats shredded the soft furnishings. It's got rare fabrics and Jacobite glass, and it's where the rules of croquet were codified. but don't let that put you off.

My favourite place to eat is the Horse and Groom at Bourton on the Hill.

Thanks for that. I've updated my spreadsheet.

If you have any other food recommendations I'd love to see them

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 26 Jul 2017, 18:48

There's a Greek place on the high street in Chipping Campden called Michael's, I think. It's a few years since I went, but I remember everything being delicious and HUGE.

The Ebrington Arms in ummm.. Ebrington was nice too; typical old village pub with decent grub.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 28 Jul 2017, 10:31

We holidayed in the Cotswolds for a week about 7 years ago, we stopped in a holiday cottage in Naunton, which is a particular small, quiet little village even for that area. The only thing it's notable for is a particularly large old dovecote. You know the weekends must fly by for the locals. One church, one pub (The Black Horse), and a stream; pretty much everything a village needs. Bourton on the Water is the most hip and happening of all the villages round there, a beautiful place with a stream about 10 feet wide and an inch deep coursing through the centre like a mini Thames. Gets very busy, but it's where the pubs and restaurants are, if memory serves. Chipping Camden and the Slaughters are the most-Cotswoldy places in the Cotswolds, you can practically inhale the yellow stone and burbling streams. Oh, and Bibury is ridiculously famous for it's row of cottages

For cities and towns, Bath is the best place in the area, though I can't remember finding a record shop there, which is usually very important. I thought Oxford and Cheltenham were pretty disappointing. Though I believe the latter did have record shops.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Jul 2017, 13:20

Oxford is a fucking magnificent city, as long as you don;t have to get in and out of it.
Cocaine

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 29 Jul 2017, 08:01

Bath has some really good places to eat. If you can stretch to it and get a table Menu Gordon Jones is epic.
http://www.menugordonjones.co.uk
A Bath staple Yak Yeti Yak is resaonably priced
http://www.yakyetiyak.co.uk/index
Grillstock is good for BBQ
https://grillstock.co.uk
There is a newly opened Tapas Revolution, its a chain but the food is good. Ole! is good also
http://www.tapasrevolution.com/bath/
http://www.oletapas.co.uk/menu.html

There are some stellar pubs. I'll get around to listing a few later. Happy to meet up for a beer if you're so inclined.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Jul 2017, 20:58

We're going to Mells next Saturday for a week. Got Kilves Beach, Roth Bar & Grill, Wells, Bath, The Pig and a few others lined up.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 31 Jul 2017, 10:42

Toby wrote:We're going to Mells next Saturday for a week. Got Kilves Beach, Roth Bar & Grill, Wells, Bath, The Pig and a few others lined up.

The Talbot in Mells is really good as is the Vobster Inn next village along.

Return to “All Around The World”