Liverpool

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible

Re: Liverpool

Postby clive gash » 10 Jul 2017, 11:28

The thought of Coant and Goat in the same city gives me a very bad boner.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce...

...a multitude of innuendo and hearsay...

...I'm producing facts here...

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jul 2017, 21:05

Tom Waits For No One wrote:
BLACK FELLA wrote:Anyway - sorry to derail...

If you had three or four hours to kill in Liverpool before getting the train, what would you do? what would you see?

Visit:
The Central Library, St. Georges Hall, they currently have a Adrian Henri/Liverpool poets exhibition on.
TheWalker Art Gallery has an Alphonse Mucha exhibition.
If you have time to spare check out a trip on the ferry (an hour round trip)

If I'm free when you're here I could always be available for a cuppa.

Let me know.

I'm going on Friday.
Thanks for the heads up for the Mucha exhibit too. I'm sure it must be the same one that was in Glasgow a little while ago. I went, and then regretted not going again and again. I feel like it's a good omen that it's leading me to Liverpool.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 10 Jul 2017, 21:11

Nick wrote:A former girlfriend of mine lived in the Aigburth/Sefton Park area, which I liked. Lots of big 19th and early 20th century town houses, many subdivided into flats, which were reasonably priced to rent.

She had a couple of flats during the couple of years we were dating, both within walking distance of Lark Lane, which has evolved into a mini high street, complete with some pretty decent pubs, bars and restaurants (caveat, at least that's how it was the last time I was there, circa 2011 - it may have changed now). It's similar to high streets in trendy areas of London like Clapham, or Chorlton in Manchester.

It's easy to commute from there into the city centre, about 15-20 minutes by bus or Merseylink train, or about 10 minutes by taxi. Handy for the airport too, as Aigburth's on the eastern side of the city.

This is Extremely useful information!

I love the sort of Self-made energy that exists in Dublin and Glasgow, and I feel it in Liverpool too. But it also sometimes results in the cities being a bit Hodge-podgy in terms of Niceness. It may not be true of liverpool at all, but it's the sense I get; hidden gems, but bits that may not be the best either.
I want to land on my feet.
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 12 Jul 2017, 03:09

There's something in the air alright. Like Manchester it's not the most beautiful city, but it has its own special feel and it's infectious.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 09:41

Goat Boy wrote:
BLACK FELLA wrote:Thanks Nick!

It's a company called i-to-i, they're going to start running intensive weekend teacher-training courses in Edinburgh (and other cities in Scotland) and they're considering me for work. The trouble is, it's not regular (depends on demand) and they want me to watch a whole weekend course soon as training (and I guess to assess my suitability) - and it's unpaid.

It's really difficult to get year-round TEFL work in the UK.

I've only visited Liverpool once, for a wedding, but I liked it.

When do you find out?

(sorry - I hadn't seen this until now)

They were looking for teachers to start immediately, which of course I can't do. So they left me with a 'we'll be in touch'. I don't care whether they do or not, frankly.

I applied for TEFL work at the Uni yesterday - we'll see if anything comes of that.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 15 Jul 2017, 11:45

I spent the day looking about the city yesterday. So many thanks for everyone's help here.
The neighbourhoods are quite varied and the architecture is so different! There are these 1920's build white ?stone buildings that have these mad minorettes and towers and crenilations (sp?) For no particular reason... right there in the city centre. I love them.

I could see myself renouncing any love I ever had for the Beatles after spending any real time there... though saying that I was super on an ugly property that said "the quarrymen (the beatles) rehearsed here".
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 13:04

hippopotamus wrote:I spent the day looking about the city yesterday. So many thanks for everyone's help here.
The neighbourhoods are quite varied and the architecture is so different! There are these 1920's build white ?stone buildings that have these mad minorettes and towers and crenilations (sp?) For no particular reason... right there in the city centre. I love them.

Yeah, I noticed that too.

And near Lime Street Station you've got two impressive Portland Stone buildings. The Adelphi Hotel, still impressive but a wee bit run-down, and over the road from that is Lewis's department store, a fucking huge thing with Epstein's "Liverpool Resurgent" sculpture (known locally as 'Dickie Lewis') perched halfway up, above the old entrance:

I notice stuff like this more as I get older. If the building wasn't in such a tatty area of the city it would look stately.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 15 Jul 2017, 17:06

One of the places I'm looking to rent (breathtaking in it's own right) looks onto this one.

There's no perfect picture on google to show what the view from the flat is... but basically you look onto all those funny little doodads on the side of that building. I feel like I could stare at it for hours. I just looked it up, and apparently it's white terracota, made by Doulton (of Royal Doulton ceramic fame) to cope with the pollution at the time. How cool is that?!

John Onan wrote:I notice stuff like this more as I get older. If the building wasn't in such a tatty area of the city it would look stately.

Surely you saw your share of stuff like this in Prague?
Diamond Dog wrote:

Indeed, what is point?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 22:48

Yeah, I suppose so.

The thing about Prague is (they say) every major architectural style of the last 150 years is represented. It can be a bit chocolate-box at times - I preferred some of the ugly brutalist stuff you'd see in the suburbs and in hidden-away areas of the centre. But most of what's around Malostranske Namesti is fabulous.

Brickyard Jack

Postby Brickyard Jack » 15 Jul 2017, 23:03

I went to university in Liverpool, but a lot has changed in 30 years. It is an amazing city. I lived in various parts of town but the best was Lodge Lane near Sefton Park - a very convenient location, and I walked into the city.

If I had three or four hours to kill I would walk through the town to the three graces on the riverfront, taking in the Cavern and the area around there on the way. Taking the ferry across the Mersey makes you understand why people write songs about it. The second time I had three or fours to kill I would take a train out to Crosby and see the statues on the beach.
The next time after that I would go the Anglican cathedral, one of the greatest buildings in Britain - but you get the best view of it from the water.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Jul 2017, 15:09

John did you get the job?
I run out of talent

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jul 2017, 15:35

See six posts above! :)

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 16 Jul 2017, 15:45

Shit!
Best of luck man.
Was the we'll be in touch for both Liverpool and Edinburgh?
I run out of talent

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 16 Jul 2017, 15:56

Thanks a lot!

Yeah - waiting to hear from both. And other similar jobs in both places. Fingers crossed.

Return to “All Around The World”