Jersey

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Jersey

Postby yomptepi » 04 Jun 2017, 15:45

I have just been back to Jersey for the first time in 15 years. We used to take the kids over every year, sometimes twice a year, but they tired of by the time the were 13 or 14, and I stopped going once the parents in Law moved over there when they retired. I used to hate it. It is small, provincial and authoritarian. It is peopled by artless vulgarians , whose only interest is protecting their own standards of living. The restaurants all close at 9pm , and St Helier is ghost town soon after. Despite having access to some of the finest fishing in the world, there is not a great fish restaurant on the Island, and the poshest place is happy to be described as a " carvery " ( shudders).

However, I have rediscovered it somewhat. Our trip was a sad one, as Bid's Dad was dying. so we spent a lot of time in the Hospital, and trying to explain what was going on to her mother, who has dementia. Her father died, and we then had to try and explain that, again and again and again, as she couldn't hold on to the information. We had all the tiresome legal stuff to sort, as well as trying to deal with the house. So in between all of that we zipped around the beautiful coast roads, darting in and out of picture book bays , and watching the sun go down over the most westerly point of the Island. We drank lots of gin, and traipsed around the town in sunshine. I wouldn't take children there, as there is NOTHING for them to do, unless you want to depend on the beach. But as an older couple, we really enjoyed it. The light is spectacular, the scenery is breath taking, and it is surprisingly affordable. A twenty five minute flight from Southampton ( around £60) and we were paying £55 a night in a nice hotel in the middle of town with a great breakfast. Try Booking .com for a deal.

It feels odd recommending a place i have actively detested for years, but I know there are a lot of people here who enjoy short breaks, and I think they would enjoy Jersey a lot.

http://smg.photobucket.com/user/mykalee ... sey%202017

here is a link to my pictures.
You don't like me...do you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: Jersey

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jun 2017, 08:42

Thanks for that Mike and, obviously, deepest commiserations to Biddy and you (and the kids too).

Lin and myself took a day trip to the Isles Of Scilly a couple of years back.... it looks remarkably similar to that.

We really do have some of the most stunning scenery on our doorsteps, don't we? If only we found the time to enjoy it.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 Jun 2017, 00:12

I loved your pics on Facebook. And yeah, sorry about your wife's dad. Been there, done that.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 10 Jun 2017, 16:41

I'm sorry as well to hear about the passing of a family member and everything that comes with it.

But I'm glad to see you've come around a bit about Jersey.

I'll be there for a week starting next weekend having been twice before with years in between.

I'm not one for the beach so one week is enough to see the rest of the island. That and take plenty of rest.

And full breakfasts.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

yomptepi
BCB thumbscrew of Justice

Postby yomptepi » 10 Jun 2017, 17:54

Walk In My Shadow wrote:I'm sorry as well to hear about the passing of a family member and everything that comes with it.

But I'm glad to see you've come around a bit about Jersey.

I'll be there for a week starting next weekend having been twice before with years in between.

I'm not one for the beach so one week is enough to see the rest of the island. That and take plenty of rest.

And full breakfasts.

I am going back on Monday to start sorting all the probate out, and making a start of trying to de clutter the house. I will be there until the following Monday, maybe Wenesday 21st June. If you are there, then I can pick up message from here or facebook if you fancy a quiet pint one evening. It would be good to see you.
You don't like me...do you?

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 15 Jun 2017, 04:23

Michael, I'm really sorry to hear about Biddy's Dad. Take care.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “All Around The World”