Umbria / Le Marche

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Umbria / Le Marche

Postby KeithPratt » 30 Jul 2016, 09:29

Have been offered a week's free accommodation nr Spoleto at the end of September.

Any tips for this region apart from Perugia?

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Re: Umbria / Le Marche

Postby naughty boy » 30 Jul 2016, 19:16

Assisi!
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

echolalia

Postby echolalia » 01 Aug 2016, 22:28

I’ve only passed through Umbria and know nothing about it. But I’ve been to Le Marche. My favourite places were Ascoli Piceno and Urbino. I’d never even heard of Ascoli Piceno before I went there but it’s a beautiful place, even by Italian standards. It’s full of good architecture. The local speciality is deep-fried stuffed olives – olive ascolane – they’re excellent. It’s only ten miles from the coast, if you’re a beach person. Urbino has got one of the best art galleries in Italy, and therefore the world. It’s quiet too, and the palace it’s housed in has a famous and architecturally significant courtyard.

San Leo has a madly spectacular fortress but it recently switched regions from Marche to Emilia-Romagna. Cagliostro, a kind of 18th-century precursor of Crowley, was imprisoned in the fortress and it has all kinds of interesting micro-museums on subjects such as machine guns (there’s lots of WWII history round those parts – the Gothic Line), torture instruments, and occultist paraphernalia.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 03 Aug 2016, 10:50

echolalia wrote:I’ve only passed through Umbria and know nothing about it. But I’ve been to Le Marche. My favourite places were Ascoli Piceno and Urbino. I’d never even heard of Ascoli Piceno before I went there but it’s a beautiful place, even by Italian standards. It’s full of good architecture. The local speciality is deep-fried stuffed olives – olive ascolane – they’re excellent. It’s only ten miles from the coast, if you’re a beach person. Urbino has got one of the best art galleries in Italy, and therefore the world. It’s quiet too, and the palace it’s housed in has a famous and architecturally significant courtyard.

San Leo has a madly spectacular fortress but it recently switched regions from Marche to Emilia-Romagna. Cagliostro, a kind of 18th-century precursor of Crowley, was imprisoned in the fortress and it has all kinds of interesting micro-museums on subjects such as machine guns (there’s lots of WWII history round those parts – the Gothic Line), torture instruments, and occultist paraphernalia.

Cheers, Ascoli Piceno looks stunning.

Return to “All Around The World”