Favorite pubs ever (UK edition)

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
sloopjohnc

Re: Favorite pubs ever (UK edition)

Postby sloopjohnc » 10 May 2016, 19:24

Ye Cracke in Liverpool. Where John and Cynthia met on dates.

Inside bar

Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 10 May 2016, 22:28

The Horseshoe in Glasgow, longest continuous bar in the world. A few jollies were held there. Fartpants, Jock, Rory (RIP), Default, Funky and me tried to name any punks with beards. We got stuck after Jet Black.

Met that bastard Bhoy when he was up for a Scotland game.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 11 May 2016, 15:12

The Bell in East Molesey, in Surrey just outside London is my sister's local. It's known locally as the The Crooked House, nice beers/good lagers on pump, got a big grassy garden out back and is extremely old -

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Johnny Fartpants

Postby Johnny Fartpants » 13 May 2016, 19:40

The Crown Liquor Saloon on Great Victoria Street in Belfast. One of the most beautiful and unspoilt pubs in the UK, if not the world.

Beebsy wrote:Oh I see... you heard I came back and thought you'd steal my thunder, eh? Fuck off.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 May 2016, 21:50

Johnny Fartpants wrote:The Crown Liquor Saloon on Great Victoria Street in Belfast. One of the most beautiful and unspoilt pubs in the UK, if not the world.

That's beautiful. A shrine to beer.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 13 May 2016, 23:55

sloopjohnc wrote:

Nicely put. I've never been to Northern Ireland but those photos give me a greater urge to visit than any number of Giant's Causeway images.

The Fish
Beer Battered

Postby The Fish » 14 May 2016, 21:13

Used to drink here on occasions, many years ago. The Fountain Ashurst. Famous as the setting for the Wings = Wonderful Christmastime video, although best to visit in winter if you want the log fire !

We're way past rhubarb

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 14 May 2016, 21:48

My local (literally the nearest pub to my house), The Boars Head at Standish, claims to be the second-longest continually running pub in the country, which is a vague claim of sorts. Supposedly its been a pub since the 15th century, although I'm sure I can recall it used to say established 16-something or other. Great pub, mind you, with good quality cheap-ish food.

The Brittania at Elterwater is a great pub in the lakes, serves properly expensive average food, but does let you nurse a pint to shelter from the rain:
Here's a picture I obviously didn't take.
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 14 May 2016, 23:34

trans-chigley express wrote:
sloopjohnc wrote:

Nicely put. I've never been to Northern Ireland but those photos give me a greater urge to visit than any number of Giant's Causeway images.

The Crown truly is a wonder, like going into a chapel.
Superb choice, Johnny F.
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Darkness_Fish

Postby Darkness_Fish » 15 May 2016, 21:26

sloopjohnc wrote:Went here with Django many times in Chester and hooked up with Kid P and Jumper K for awhile. It's right on the river.

That's on the canal, rather than the river, isn't it? I know my Chester boozers quite well ;-)
Like fast-moving clouds casting shadows against a hillside, the melody-loop shuddered with a sense of the sublime, the awful unknowable majesty of the world.

Return to “All Around The World”