Grand Canyon

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Grand Canyon

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Mar 2016, 10:47

Any recommendations for the best tours? The best hikes? Best companies?

I would quite like to do a full day hike rather than a guided tour but I'd love to hear your feedback.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Re: Grand Canyon

Postby Loki » 18 Mar 2016, 02:24

You can do a tour down into the canyon riding a donkey which I've heard is a lot of fun. There are helicopter rides you can take over the canyon. We did neither but I wanted to.

If you can possibly see the Canyon from 30,000 feet, it's totally worth climbing into someone's lap to do it. Seriously.

As I've mentioned before, we got married in Vegas and spent part of our honeymoon at my bro-in-law's family cottage in Flagstaff. It's a breathtakingly beautiful drive south from Flag to Sedona, on 89A thru Oak Creek Canyon. Slide Rock Park is along the way.

Walnut Canyon just east of Flagstaff is pretty amazing too, with ancient cliff dwellings and such.

You may have seen this, but it's so incredible. Often the Colorado River looks turquoise.

I really wanted to go to Tucson too - so much history, and ghost caves! I can't say enuf about Arizona, redneck politics notwithstanding.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Mar 2016, 22:02

I've driven to the West Rim from Las Vegas - took around two and a half hours (five hours round trip). Pretty straightforward. The South Rim (which is generally considered the more stunning) is about twice that.

For me - going by yourself is a much nicer way to see the Canyon. You can do things at your own pace and not be herded around (and corralled in and out of places where the coach companies obviously take a 'cut' of your expenditure). It also significantly lowers the overall time of the day. I've done it both ways and much preferred the freedom of do-it-yourself. And it's cheaper driving yourself too.

As for the merits of West & South rims....I think the South is better but the West will still blow you away. I've done both and would say if you have the time to do the South Rim, it should take in an overnight stay (otherwise you really do get cramped for time). But if you can only fit the West in, you absolutely will not come away in any feeling you've 'missed out' on anything.

The Grand Canyon is the only thing on the planet that literally did make my jaw drop. It is astonishing beyond words.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 19 Mar 2016, 11:37

I did a helicopter ride and it was breathtaking and worth the expense but I do wish I had done a trek too. Both lack of time and the fact my wife (girlfriend at the time) could not have physically managed the trek meant we couldn't but if I was to go again I would spend more time and do it. It's worth a whole lot more than just a day trip. Jaw dropping indeed, it's just a fabulous place.

dgs

Postby dgs » 19 Mar 2016, 14:00

Bright Angel Trail is what you are looking for.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizon ... angel.html

It is possible to hike right down to the bottom, stay beside the colorado river overnight then hike out either to the other rim or back the way you came. We hiked down a little bit but etc wife and i decided that it was one to go back for to do the whole thing.

I don't think you can do the bottom and back in a day but there are points on the way down where you can turn back. If you can get a sunset or a sunrise it is well worth it. As everyone says it is a wonderful place and very difficult to fully get your head around.
I'm a panic depressive and suffer from manic attacks. :(

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 12 Apr 2016, 03:51

dgs wrote:Bright Angel Trail is what you are looking for.

http://www.americansouthwest.net/arizon ... angel.html

Been a long time but I did Bright Angel down to indian gardens., where we camped. Then next day went down to the colorado and back to indian gardens where we camped again and then walked out. Amazing experience can't do that anymore. You can do it by mule also.

I also did the north (west rim) long ride although the painted desert is nice. Hiked down the kabob trail about 3 or 4 miles. Along with walking both rim trails. In the area The boat ride from Page to Rainbow Bridge is cool on Lake Powell. So is Sunset Crater Volcano Park outside of Flagstaff and of course Sedona.

Bright Angel Trail

Rainbow Bridge

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 20 Apr 2016, 23:17

trans-chigley express wrote:I did a helicopter ride and it was breathtaking and worth the expense.

This. I had a couple buddies who lived in Flagstaff so I've been there a few times. The helicopter ride is great and like Pete says, I'd avoid the guided tours. If you have the time, they do some whitewater rafting, if you have a long afternoon or day.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 10 May 2016, 12:48

Blimey I want to go.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “All Around The World”