Vienna

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Polishgirl

Vienna

Postby Polishgirl » 01 Jan 2016, 13:08

I like to start off a new year by planning a city break. Am, therefore, in very early stages of thinking about trip to Vienna with my friend later on in 2016.

Very keen to get hints, tips, recommendations, esp re sights to see ( both obvious and obscure - including museums, fancy-schmancy churches, art, WW1 and 2, anything engagingly weird ), & places to stay. Not bothered about shopping or fine dining, although am VERY interested in cake/cafe suggestions.

Also considering whether to add on another city to the holiday, one which is easily accessible from Vienna by train ( we won't have a car. ) Bratislava seems an obvious choice, as it's very close by, and would press various Central European buttons for me, but I'm wondering if there's anywhere else that would be good to visit.....

Thanks ever so. 8-)
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Re: Vienna

Postby Corporate whore » 01 Jan 2016, 16:35

The catacombs under the cathedral are a must: they are bone-tastic.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 01 Jan 2016, 16:36

Salzburg is excellent, nip out sure how long it takes to get there from Vienna though.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 03 Jan 2016, 10:27

The Sacher cafe is the classic. Last time I was in Vienna I went on a "Third Man" tour - this was a walking tour -they take you to various settings from the film. It was good fun. Of course you should go on the Big wheel in the Prater park.
Schonbrunn is the famous lavish palace of the Hapsburgs - I like a big palace, but not everyone does.
St Stephen's cathedral is great, and round the corner from it is Judenplatz with Rachel Whiteread's "shadow library" holocaust memorial. I like a bit of Whiteread, but not everyone does.
Bratislava is fairly interesting, but also fairly small. Nearby is Devin castle, a tremendous ruin overlooking the Danube - a sort bus ride from Bratislava but not sure how to get there from Vienna.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 05 Jan 2016, 01:09

I absolutely Love the The Wiener Riesenrad. It's all The Third mannish, and also somehow all Letter from an Unknown Womanish... and when you come out there's a 19th century telephone with a sign that says "For the best Schnitzel in town pick up the phone".
We make a pilgrimage to Cafe Landmann every year for my birthday to have a Tafel Spitz... which is Heaven on earth in the shape of food, but apparently it's not the best place in town to get a Tafel Spitz.
Oh and if you were me you would go to the shop where the traditional Trachten (the Viennese traditional dress: dirndls and the like) because it's SO beautiful there. Last years trip involved a serious shopping expedition for my brother's wedding, and it was Amazing.
Oh, also the kitchy sort of carriage ride through town is actually lovely in vienna, because it seems best viewed by carriage ride.
Oh, yes! And This place
http://www.kameel.at/en_index.php
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 07 Jan 2016, 21:47

My Dad and I spent 3 weeks in Wien in 1987, and stayed at the Rothensteiner Apts. on the Neustiftgasse, which according to these reviews is somewhat centrally located, and a good deal for the money. Run by a lovely family.....we were invited for Kaffee und Konditorei one afternoon. I imagine Mrs. Rothensteiner is deceased by now, but maybe her kids or grandkids are running it. Her son was a chef, and had his own bistro in the Keller. Walking distance to many historic sights. Worth a drive to the Black Forest and scenic mountain lakes.

https://www.tripadvisor.ca/Hotel_Review ... ienna.html

Salzburg is about 3 hours west, and also worth the trip. And it's a relatively short hop to Munich. The Bavarians are much like the Austrians; different from northern Germany.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 08 Jan 2016, 20:20

If we are FB 'friends' you may have seen these already. If not - they may not show

Vienna - Last week

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 09 Jan 2016, 00:21

Whoa, those are wonderful shots!

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 23 Jan 2016, 22:16

Thanks everyone. Booked our flights for later in the year. Looking forward to it, and definitely keen to get to Bratislava and Salzburg too.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 24 Jan 2016, 07:07

You absolutely must have the wieners!

Question authority.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 01 Nov 2016, 21:23

Well, Vienna was a massive success. My friend and I had a week there, and didn't bother with any side trips; the city kept us amply occupied. As an art gallery nerd, I was in heaven, especially in the Albertina.

We also got a healthy dose of Hapsburg action, completely OTT Catholic churches ( the best kind ), and some great walks through different areas of the city.

I thought Vienna would be a bit stiff and formal, but it wasn't at all. It's full of charm and character. Plus the cake offerings are sublime. It's snapping close at the heels of Krakow for the much-coveted title of my favourite city.

The only slight hiccup I had was having to sleep with the light on after seeing the very car in which Franz Ferdinand was shot.

Venice is looking like our next jaunt.

Return to “All Around The World”