Amsterdam

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Qube

Amsterdam

Postby Qube » 02 Dec 2015, 19:13

I did a search but couldn't find a thread in here. I'm going for a few days next month, anyone have any recommendations? Am always interested in food/drink... I'll probably get a ticket to see Ajax play but other than that, pretty open (going 18th to 21st of December).

never/ever

Re: Amsterdam

Postby never/ever » 02 Dec 2015, 19:35

Been a while since I have been there so i don't know if any of the regular haunts are still there. Lots of the coffee shops of yore have been forced to close in an attempt to clean up the inner city n the last decade, as well as the Red Light District which just looks sad these days. The area there used to be quite 'gezellig'. n the north side of the city centre, near the popular quarter known as de Jordaan there are still some cosy little pubs that play typical Dutch music and have a few typical Amsterdammers visit for their shot of Dutch gin (jenever).

Foodwise- always love to eat Indonesian and Chinese food there- there's a large contingent of indonesians living in the Netherlands and I love their cuisine. The Chinese cuisine there is markedly different from the ones I encounter here, much healthier-looking and diverse. Typical Dutch fare like kroketten and frikandellen are not everybody's cuppa but if you go for fries it is something that is being consumed with it.

Ajax is playing De Graafschap on Sunday afternoon December 20, 16:45 at home...not the best of matches you could have hoped for but it could be entertaining as they have been playing well lately. Fot this match you won't need a club card which ins ome matches is compulsory to order tickets.

NB- that argentinian restaurant- La Pampa?
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Dec 2015, 10:20

Apart from the obvious and really super art museums, I enjoyed:

Resistance Museum https://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

The Church in The Attic https://www.verzetsmuseum.org/museum/en/museum

Holthuysen Museum http://www.willetholthuysen.nl/en
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Qube

Postby Qube » 08 Dec 2015, 14:50

Thanks all! :)

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 17 Dec 2015, 12:24

Have you watched 'Van dear Valk'?

It's an old detectives series, British-made, but set, and filmed in Amsterdam.
1970s.

Great!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Return to “All Around The World”