What's to do in Cornwall?

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Polishgirl

Re: What's to do in Cornwall?

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jun 2015, 23:32

Classy. :-)

There's a small but reasonably decent art gallery in Truro- the Lemon St Gallery.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 17 Jun 2015, 23:42

the masked man wrote: I saw a whole coach party arrive, dressed as pirates

Oh Jeez - not bloody Adam and the Ants fans? :x

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Jun 2015, 23:43

There's also a small art gallery in Falmouth which is actually decent. But I'm biased, as I think this place is my favourite town in the entire island. In short, go to Falmouth, as soon as you can. I hope to get a commission from the Cornish Tourist Board.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 18 Jun 2015, 05:35

Polishgirl wrote:

Unlike DD, I don't like Tintagel, but I can see that the castle is impressive. Boscastle is smashing and you HAVE to go to the witchcraft museum- it's... um...quirky..

I do like Tintagel. Such a dramatic location and you can explore the caves below then have a fantastic pasty at the nearby Pengenna pasty shop (there's also one at St Ives)

Polishgirl wrote:
Has anybody mentioned the Lost Gardens of Heligan?

The must visit National Trust attraction is Lanhydrock. The setting is pretty, and you get to see dozens of rooms, including kitchens and servants quarters- gives you a great sense of the Victorian/ Edwardian country house.

Lost Gardens of Heligan is a lovely place. I haven't been to Lanhydrock but sounds splendid.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jun 2015, 07:26

If you're talking Gardens, try Trellissick on the Fal River (there's a stop on the river boat tour from Falmouth to Truro) and Trebah Gardens, down on the Helford river (with a private beach into the river itself).
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 18 Jun 2015, 09:21

trans-chigley express wrote:
Polishgirl wrote:

Unlike DD, I don't like Tintagel, but I can see that the castle is impressive. Boscastle is smashing and you HAVE to go to the witchcraft museum- it's... um...quirky..

I do like Tintagel. Such a dramatic location and you can explore the caves below then have a fantastic pasty at the nearby Pengenna pasty shop (there's also one at St Ives)

Polishgirl wrote:
Has anybody mentioned the Lost Gardens of Heligan?

The must visit National Trust attraction is Lanhydrock. The setting is pretty, and you get to see dozens of rooms, including kitchens and servants quarters- gives you a great sense of the Victorian/ Edwardian country house.

Lost Gardens of Heligan is a lovely place. I haven't been to Lanhydrock but sounds splendid.

And a Pengenna's in Bude, too - will be patronising it today. They do the best cheese and onion pasty.

Prof- in terms of NT properties, there's also Godolphin. The garden has been NT for years, but they only acquired the house in the last few years. The house is only open on certain days. Gardens are meant to be lovely.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 18 Jun 2015, 09:30

The China clay pits near where you're staying look like alien landscapes. Museum at Wheal Martyn all about it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Jun 2015, 09:58

Polishgirl wrote:The China clay pits near where you're staying look like alien landscapes. Museum at Wheal Martyn all about it.

Yeah, they are amazing. Huge 'mountains' really steep sided. They look like, as you say, a different planet.

Another place Prof - Gwennap Pit near Redruth is fantastic and well worth a trip too.
Cocaine

Fonz

Postby Fonz » 18 Jun 2015, 17:33

Get into the spirit of it NOW with a Ginster's Cornish Pasty. Made in Launceston , I think. The real thing.
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 20 Jun 2015, 20:21

We're just back from a few days on the rugged North coast:

This is Widemouth, just south of Bude. It's especially good when the weather is stormy - striding out over the cliffs in the midst of gales and lashing rain is quite....invigorating...

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Jun 2015, 03:38

I fucking LOVE Cornwall.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jun 2015, 12:22

Diamond Dog wrote:Seriously check with The Minack and see if you can get to see a show whilst you're there John (it really doesn't matter what the show is). Just sitting there in those seats, in the theatre cut into the clifftop, looking out over the sea and down at Porthcurno Beach - it will leave a lump in your throat......

A photo I took as we waited for "Mack & Mabel" to start....

You know, that kind of spectacular.
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Jun 2015, 20:58

This is a good site John - I use it a lot :

https://www.visitcornwall.com/
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Jun 2015, 12:53

Ta!

Anyone up for a St Austell Jolly Up?!

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 23 Jun 2015, 20:10

One other thing - you need to try and use the three main dual carriageways to get around....it may look shorter going by coastal road but -almost certainly- it will not be, because they will be single tracks roads where 15-20 mph is the sensible speed (the field/hedges are all built up so you have no line of sight around corners etc).

A390 goes south from Liskeard to Falmouth via St Austell (you will probably spend a lot of time on here).

A39 goes south from Bude right down to Falmouth (where it becomes A394 to Penzance)

A30 goes right from Launceston down to Penzance (crossing over at Indian Queens with the A39).

If you can use those for any distance trips, do so.
Cocaine

northernsky

Postby northernsky » 24 Jun 2015, 08:13

Apologies if it's already been mentioned but St. Michael's Mount, off Marazion, is fun. A castle and a church that you can walk to at low tide and is cut off at high tide. Oddly, there's a rather grander mirror image on the border of Brittany/Normandy called, ahem, Mont St. Michel.

North, and westernmost, Cornwall are indeed pretty rugged and there can be some pretty wild surf off Sennen Cove, but I'm sure Prof and Mrs. Prof can tame it.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jul 2015, 18:59

So how was it Prof?
Cocaine

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 29 Jul 2015, 20:35

judith fucking chalmers

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 29 Jul 2015, 20:56

Twattus Norvegicus just arrived, I see. .
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Aug 2015, 23:28

Diamond Dog wrote:So how was it Prof?

The whole holiday was great.

The Who in Hyde Park we stopped in an airBnB. Driving up to see Frank & Sharon, then down to Torquay before a week in Cornwall and home via an evening watching The Merchant of Venice in Stratford.

On the minus side, the National Trust Cottage we rented was half way down a single track 2 mile lane. A twisty lane, walls 6 foot high and hardly any passing spaces. It was like a game of Russian Roulette everytime we left the property not knowing if we'd meet a van coming the other way then having to reverse a mile on a road so narrow the car was bound to get scratched.

I printed out your recommendations and we got to Tintagel, Truro, Eden Project, Lanhydrock and a few other places who's names escape me now.

Shame to have to come home really.

Return to “All Around The World”