What's to do in Cornwall?

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

What's to do in Cornwall?

Postby The Prof » 16 Jun 2015, 10:33

We're off in a couple of weeks and there's no internets in the National Trust house in St Austell we've booked.

I've not yet bought a Rough Guide book but are there any BCB recommendations in the area?

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: What's to do in Cornwall?

Postby the masked man » 16 Jun 2015, 10:44

The obvious attraction is the Eden Project, an impressive indoor botanical garden which is near St Austell. Further along the coast is my favourite Cornish town, Falmouth, a beautiful coastal resort which also has a very indie-focused record shop. The Nautical Museum on the seafront is well worth a visit, and you can book boat cruises to various locations from Falmouth. If you want art, then take a trip north to the Tate Gallery in St Ives. If you prefer churches, then Truro Cathedral is very impressive. Penzance is also a lovely place to wander around.

I love Cornwall.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 16 Jun 2015, 15:05

Cape Cornwall - if you ask me more interesting than Land's End. Up the road from there is a tin mine museum. The Minack theatre, carved into the cliff face. St Ives is great but it is very hard to park there - instead, park in Carbis Bay (ten minutes' drive away) and take a train (check times). Carbis Bay has a lovely beach. In the middle of Cornwall there are dozens of iron age settlements and stuff. Tintagel castle on the north coast is one of the most spectacular ruins around. Have a pint at Jamaica Inn on Bodmin Moor. There are a number of cracking little "smuggling" villages - Polperro is good, and on the north coast there's Port Isaac. Padstow is a nice town, and there's a cycle way along a former railway line beside the river Camel that's lovely. Newquay, Polzeath, and a few other north coast places have sensational beaches. There's more but I have to do something else now. Lanhydrock, one of the best NT properties you can visit. Restormel castle is also pretty cool.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 16 Jun 2015, 15:24

St Austell is probably closer to Dartmoor than it is to Cape Cornwall or the Lizard, so bits of Devon might come into the equation.
Depends what you are looking for, really. Interesting, spectacular, just plain different? You interested in beaches, gardens, buildings/towns, wild walking?
I endorse everything DS and Andrew say, except I've never been to Bodmin Moor and, as my new squeeze lives in Carbis Bay, so I know it quite well, suggest you leave the car at St Erth station and catch the train to St Ives from there as it's easier. It's a spectacular ride around the coastline. Lovely place once you get there. But St Erth is a fair drive from St Austell; not only is it a long county, but there aren't many fast roads.
Padstow and Rock have been overtaken by Rick Stein/Foodies and Yahoos respectively, but John Betjeman's grave at St Enodoc, reached by a lovely walk across dunes by the Camel estuary, is a splendid thing.
And the industrial landscape around St Austell itself, with the spoil tips from the kaolin mines, is something to see. If you are going by train rather than car, be next to a south facing window for the bit from Exeter to Newton Abbot, and from Plymouth to St Germans, as the views are something to see.
And if you are going by car, drop in at Sandford for lunch :D
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 16 Jun 2015, 15:58

I once attended a wedding in Carbis Bay! Unfortunately, there was a strong gale that day, so the attempts to take photographs in the garden were pretty disastrous.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 16 Jun 2015, 16:14

Some great suggestions.. thanks. Yep we are going by car. Driving down from seeing Jumper K.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 16 Jun 2015, 16:27

Definitely takes time to get around by car. And you often don't see a lot from the roads.

and if by "a couple of weeks" you mean "a couple of months", the british firework Championships take place in spectacular Plymouth Sound on 18th/19th August.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 16 Jun 2015, 16:31

Bodrugan is where it actually is so It's a bit out of St Austell

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 17 Jun 2015, 01:37

I'm a big fan of Cornwall and would go along with what has already been recommended. One of my own personal favourites things to do it walking along the coastal paths or at least some sections of it.

Biggest disappointment is Jamiaca Inn. It's horrible what that place has become. I remember it in the 70s when it still had some of the atmosphere and feel you expected from the book.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2015, 13:27

Whereabouts in Cornwall, John?

I have a pretty good knowledge of most parts now.....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 17 Jun 2015, 14:58

Bodrugan - just outside St Austell

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2015, 15:09

The Prof wrote:Bodrugan - just outside St Austell

Okay, give me some time and I'll get back to you (from St Austell down to the Roseland Peninsula is probably the area I know least though - sods law).
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 17 Jun 2015, 15:14

It's horrible in the summer but St Ives is awesome.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2015, 16:12

Toby wrote:It's horrible in the summer but St Ives is awesome.

And parking is a bitch.......

If you travel down to the far west for a day.....

Minack Theatre (go onto the website and see if you can tix for a show too- it is freaking awesome) and Porthcurno Beach (about three miles from Lands End).
Sennen Cove (fabulous beach) and Cape Cornwall
Botallack Tin Mines (about three miles north of Lands End)
St Ives/Hayle/Gwithian/Godrevy Lighthouse
Mousehole (the archetypal Cornish fishing village) and Newlyn
Marazion and (particularly) St Michaels Mount (check tide times so you can walk over on the causeway, at least one way)

Do The Lizard one day....

Tin Mines at Rinsey Head
Porthleven
Gunwalloe (fabulous minute church on the beach)
Mullion Cove
Kynance Cove (quite possibly the most beautiful beach in the country)
Lizard Point itself
Cadgwith
Coverack
Helford Passage/Helford Village
Falmouth (doing Pendennis Castle)
St Mawes and Roseland Peninsula (by King Charles Ferry from Feock) and the Church in St Just -in-Roseland (very pretty)

North Coast(ish) in a day

St Agnes and Perranporth
Crantock and River Gunnel (just south of Newquay)
Watergate Bay (just north of Newquay)
Bedruthan Steps (scary currents and climb down but, hey, it's a stunning sight)
Trevone and Trevose Head (whilst just south of Padstow)
Padstow itself (though incredibly busy)
Port Isaac (Doc Marten country)
Tintagel (breathtaking)
Boscastle
Bude (via Crackington Haven beach)

Drive down to Mevagissey (from where you are) and then seek advice about going south and doing the Roseland Peninsula

South East Coast (my favourite area of Cornwall)in a day,....

Fowey/ferry to Polruan
Polperro (incredibly beautiful Cornish fishing village)
Talland Bay
Looe
Seaton/Downderry Beach
Portwrinkle
Freathy (great place to get onto Whitsand Bay beach - four miles of breathtaking coast)
Rame Head
Kingsand/Cawsand (the lovely joined coastal villages)
Up to Antony Head and then Brunel's viaduct at St Germans

Inbetween south east coast & Bude(ish) is Launceston , which has a fine castle right in the town centre.

All of Cornwall is glorious - but different... South East is much more relaxed and less touristy than other parts......
Cocaine

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 17 Jun 2015, 16:43

Bloody hell! cheers… good job we're there for a while.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2015, 17:32

Lol...I love Cornwall..

Seriously check with The Minack and see if you can get to see a show whilst you're there John (it really doesn't matter what the show is). Just sitting there in those seats, in the theatre cut into the clifftop, looking out over the sea and down at Porthcurno Beach - it will leave a lump in your throat...... and there's a great chance of seeing Basking Shark's too at this time of year.....It's a trip from St Austell but (taking in the attractions around there I've listed, which are all close) you'll have a day to remember.

From where you are.... the South East corner is really easy to do....... and it's really peaceful and idyllic...I can't recommend it enough.
Cocaine

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jun 2015, 20:34

St Enodoc is lovely.

Unlike DD, I don't like Tintagel, but I can see that the castle is impressive. Boscastle is smashing and you HAVE to go to the witchcraft museum- it's... um...quirky.

Also along the north coast is Trebarwith Strand and Port Isaac.

Has anybody mentioned the Lost Gardens of Heligan?

The must visit National Trust attraction is Lanhydrock. The setting is pretty, and you get to see dozens of rooms, including kitchens and servants quarters- gives you a great sense of the Victorian/ Edwardian country house.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 17 Jun 2015, 20:55

Top tip m- always have loads of change on you.....there's virtually nowhere free to park in Cornwall anymore.
Cocaine

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 17 Jun 2015, 23:22

Watch out for highwaymen, pirates, asbo piskies and the occasional feral stargazey pie.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 17 Jun 2015, 23:30

Polishgirl wrote:Watch out for highwaymen, pirates, asbo piskies and the occasional feral stargazey pie.

One night in Falmouth, I saw a whole coach party arrive, dressed as pirates, no doubt aiming for a serious pub crawl. Yarrrrr.....

Return to “All Around The World”