Dublin

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Polishgirl

Dublin

Postby Polishgirl » 02 Jun 2015, 22:05

Recommendations, please, especially for lesser-known attractions/sights/sites.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Samoan

Re: Dublin

Postby Samoan » 02 Jun 2015, 23:43

I was going to recommend Bewley's Oriental Café on Grafton Street. It's gorgeous inside. Stained glass, large Ferns in pots, old wooden and marble tables and chairs.

But it seems it's shut till September, so it depends when you are planning to visit...
Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Jun 2015, 13:07

September is when we're going!

Looks lovely. I bet they do nice cake.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 03 Jun 2015, 14:41

Guinness tour is fab, pint at the end with a panoramic view of Dublin.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 03 Jun 2015, 15:13

Polishgirl wrote:Recommendations, please, especially for lesser-known attractions/sights/sites.

WHOLY MY GOODNESS, I am all over this. Let me compose myself, and then compose something for you.
I am just back here less than an hour, and I am SO excited to be back. Dublin may be one of my favourite places on the planet.
It's also the most secret of all the cities. Like most things Irish, it has it's own internal logic.... I mean, it's GRAND being a tourist doing tourist things, but there's also just so much to it.

What are you interested in?How long do you have?

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 03 Jun 2015, 15:17

I ALWAYS recommend Bewley's but it's under refurbishment, might be open again by September... but if not... I'll have you covered.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 03 Jun 2015, 15:47

Okay, so it turns out I'm delayed at the airport for for an indefinite amount of time, so let me get excited about Dublin for a while.

Basics of the city:

It's divided North and South.
If you want genteel fanciness (Like Bewley's above), stick to the south side of the city by Grafton street. Grafton is just like a fancy high street anywhere... maybe more musical. At the top there's Trinity, which people visit... I don't know, from Britain, if you've been to Oxford, Cambridge, Durham, St Andrews, York (and the list goes on) and seen an old university... I feel like you've seen them all. It's where theb ook of Kells is, and APPARENTLY that's good to see, but I've never have the patience for the line. There's also a GREAT Science museum, which is ALWAYS interesting there (I always pop in).
If you turn left around Trinity and go down Dawson street you're on your way to the National Gallery. Extremely worth a visit. It's SO small, it's not overwhelming. It's free obviously, and just... succinct. You don't have to spend the whole day there, but guaranteed you'll see something worth seeing. If you walk straight down Grafton street, at the other end you come to a lovely green (St Stephen's green), just before the entrance is butler's hot chocolate. You will see one of these on every corner. You should definitely get something from there once.
With any beverage you get your pick of chocolate truffle. This is ideal to take with you when you go visit the park.)
(incidentally, just on your right of the park is my school (until I graduate tomorrow), the Royal College of Surgeons (notable otherwise only because its one of the billion things mentioned in Ulysses.)
Just before getting to the park off grafton on your right is the gaiety theatre. I ALWAYS recommend people go see a play when in Ireland. This is one of the two last Victorian theatres, and is Really lovely. (Although, I might suggest going to the Abbey Theatre (north side), as it's the national theatre and just my favourite.) There are really good places to eat around here. I always take people to this Vegan place (I know I know I know...but it IS really good) called Cornicopia. Also there's Murphy's Ice Cream across the road. You MUST go there. It's my favourite ice cream. I am Lost just thinking about it. (they also do the most decadent hot chocolate.)

Of Course Temple Bar is South Side. It HAS been voted the most dissapointing tourist spot in the world... i think that's a TAD unfair... (but I still don't go there willingly.) Although, if you do, I quite like the Turkshead.. actually any number of the pubs there... overpriced, sure, but there's always Something happening.

Northside... there's a lovely UNDER-RATED museum at the north end of O connel street (the main street on the north side) called the Hugh Lane Gallery. It's got a complete reconstruction of Francis Bacon's studio (random but true) as well as well as the most incredible art deco/art nouveau stained glass windows

I'm biased because it's near me, but the best place you'll go for trad music is in Smithfield, next to the Jameson's distillary, it's call Cobblestones. Live music every night. You won't be disappointed. It's also right near Pheonix park. (3 minutes from my house.) At that entrance is the zoo. I have never been... but there is a Lovely tea house right next door,

Pheonix park (I THINK) is the biggest enclosed park in Europe. It's Wonderful. It's my favourite thing... but again, I'm biased. Not too far south from Pheonix park, you get to a lot of Museums. There's the museum of design. This is approximately 2 minutes from my house, but I haven't been there...not because it's not great, I'm just useless.
There's also the museum of Modern art.
Very close by still is Kilmainham gaol. If there is one thing you do in Dublin, DEFINITELY do this. It gives you the full history of the city, it's really interesting and I don't know anyone who doesn't recommend it.

This is a lot of stuff...
Maybe in my next instalment we will talk about Coastlines!

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 03 Jun 2015, 21:44

I'd have a look at the General Post Office, which I'm sure you don't need telling, P..incidentally I've seen the Book of Kells. There wasn't a queue.
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 04 Jun 2015, 16:44

Don't forget to visit the Leprechaun Museum
I run out of talent

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 04 Jun 2015, 17:09

markus will be meeting and greeting:

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 05 Jun 2015, 16:26

I hate Dublin, so no i won't. Sorry Pips.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

'skope
BCB poster of the year 2014

Postby 'skope » 05 Jun 2015, 17:51

bummer.

Postby ... » 06 Jun 2015, 12:59

If you're in Dublin on Tues Sept 1, Mrs F and I will be up to see Richard Thompson at Vicar Street so could meet up for a drink before the show. Last time I looked they still had tickets

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Jun 2015, 19:28

fueryhk(redux) wrote:If you're in Dublin on Tues Sept 1, Mrs F and I will be up to see Richard Thompson at Vicar Street so could meet up for a drink before the show. Last time I looked they still had tickets

Ah, bugger, we're there end of Sept/very start October. That would have been great. I'm cross now.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Jun 2015, 19:29

Belle Lettre wrote:I'd have a look at the General Post Office, which I'm sure you don't need telling, P..incidentally I've seen the Book of Kells. There wasn't a queue.

Phil very keen to see the GPO. :D

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Jun 2015, 19:30

Mimsy, those are great suggestions, and really whet my appetite for the visit. Always good to get city tips from somebody who lives there. The theatres and the ice cream sound especially appealing. Thank you x

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Jun 2015, 19:33

WG Kaspar wrote:Don't forget to visit the Leprechaun Museum

Leprechauns give me the willies. And I'm from the land of piskies.

There is simply no need for any of it.

Postby ... » 07 Jun 2015, 10:59

Sorry to heart that, Pippa

How long are you going to be in Ireland for and dp you plan on going anywhere outside Dublin?

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 09 Jun 2015, 21:23

We're there Tues to Sat. I've not really had a concentrated look at outside Dublin much; maybe Lowth? I've not sussed out yet what would be close enough to do in the time.

Shame about the Richard Thompson, too; Phil a big fan.

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 09 Jun 2015, 23:01

Dr Markus wrote:I hate Dublin

Why?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Return to “All Around The World”