Dublin

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
straw mimsy

Re: Dublin

Postby straw mimsy » 10 Jun 2015, 11:46

More Dublin

You can and should visit the cathedrals. Even if you weren't into that sort of thing, they are just so lovely. Even better St Patrick's was Jonathan Swift's old preaching ground. They have a lto of his old books on display and the music there is so beautiful. It's my local, I love it. I see you're leaving on Tuesdays, unfortunately I think that's the day they have free walking tours around the old city/ the liberties (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Liberties,_Dublin) but you may be lucky, and I may be wrong. This is also the part of the city with the Guinness storehouse.

(If you wanted to do a number of the main attractions, say guinness, jameson's, the castle etc. the tour bus is worth doing, because you get a big fat discount. and a means of traveling between all the places.)

What's an absolutely ESSENTIAL part of dublin, is going up to the coastline at some point.
Consider Howth or Dun Loaghaire. They are on the train line (DART), and about 20 minutes out of the city centre, and they are QUITE beautiful. On Sundays both those places have good food markets. I'm partial to howth (in the north) but Dun loaghaire is ALMOST equally lovely (and cheaper.) You might consider the weather when you are there to decide, but the cliff walks and well, everything about these wee places out of the city centre, but really extraordinarily close is lovely.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 10 Jun 2015, 11:48

Polishgirl wrote:Mimsy, those are great suggestions, and really whet my appetite for the visit. Always good to get city tips from somebody who lives there. The theatres and the ice cream sound especially appealing. Thank you x

Honestly ask me all the questions, I couldn't love this place or want other people to love it as much as I do more.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 04 Oct 2015, 18:11

Had a great couple of days in Dublin; liked it much more than I thought I would. We went to the National Gallery, Kilmainham Jail, Writers Museum and the very wonderful Collins Barracks Museum of Decorative Arts and History. That was particularly good. Used the hop on/hop off buses intensively - the drivers are so entertaining, with the normal commentary, plus songs and poems and anecdotes and terrible jokes.

And I discovered my new favourite pub- The Stag's Head. The photo isn't great because I'd just had a pretty big gin.

echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 04 Oct 2015, 23:03

I think it's somewhere we'll go back to. We had originally planned to stay till Saturday, but I had something I had to attend in Exeter on Saturday, so we changed it and came home Friday.

Bunnies5

Postby Bunnies5 » 06 Jan 2016, 15:30

Such an amazing city would recommend it to anybody looking for somewhere new to visit.

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 07 Jan 2016, 01:51

4 years of living in Dublin and I've only JUST found out about this:
http://www.yelp.ie/biz/hurdy-gurdy-museum-of-vintage-radio-dublin
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

Return to “All Around The World”