Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53082
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Snarfyguy » 02 Apr 2015, 22:14

A few years ago I went down to N.O. and there was a great thread here mostly about food that I can't find now. I think it pre-dated the creation of this travel section, but the search function isn't showing it here or in NDL.

Anyway, we're going to be there later in the month and I was going to use that thread, but...

Any help appreciated.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43107
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Stille Baron » 02 Apr 2015, 23:22

Nolamike is your man here, but he's been MIA from the boards for a little while now ...
There may be some information in the threads from the two New Orleans JUs ...
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53082
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Snarfyguy » 06 Apr 2015, 15:28

Thanks, I'll have a look.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Stille Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 43107
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Stille Baron » 16 Apr 2015, 23:54

Snarfyguy wrote:A few years ago I went down to N.O. and there was a great thread here mostly about food that I can't find now. I think it pre-dated the creation of this travel section, but the search function isn't showing it here or in NDL.

Anyway, we're going to be there later in the month and I was going to use that thread, but...

Any help appreciated.


Snarf ... Hope it's not too late, but there's lots here ...

viewtopic.php?f=1&t=93713&hilit=Cochon

I just found it as we're on our way out of town ...
:lol:
(no big deal as Min had never been here, and is vegetarian)
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53082
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Apr 2015, 01:59

Thanks, I'll have a look. We just got into town yesterday.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29684
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 17 Apr 2015, 05:31

Snarfyguy wrote:Thanks, I'll have a look. We just got into town yesterday.


Have fun, how can you not?
We're leaving tomorrow. I'm drunk,
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13945
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Nolamike » 31 Aug 2015, 20:28

D'oh! Wish I had returned sooner!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

User avatar
pcqgod
Posts: 17363
Joined: 11 Apr 2010, 07:23
Location: Texas

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby pcqgod » 01 Sep 2015, 18:41

I went there two consecutive summers with my old law firm, back in the early 2000's. I wish I could remember the places I ate. There was a terrific seafood place in the French Quarter. One of the restaurants (a steak place) gave some our group terrible diarrhea, though.
Where would rock 'n' roll be without feedback?

User avatar
Minnie Cheddars
funky thigh collector
Posts: 29684
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Minnie Cheddars » 09 Sep 2015, 15:08

pcqgod wrote: One of the restaurants (a steak place) gave some our group terrible diarrhea, though.


It's so hard to find a place that does good diarrhea these days.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


User avatar
Flower
Posts: 5284
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Flower » 11 Sep 2015, 03:12

I've lived in New Orleans on and off but not since 2004 and the last time that I was there was in 2005.

Adding to the list ....

I've always enjoyed Charlie's Steakhouse .. very funky and fun and now I see that they expanded their menu ..

http://charliessteakhousenola.com/

I also like the Palace Café which is now closed for renovation .. I especially love their white chocolate bread pudding.

http://www.palacecafe.com/

Croissant d'Or was great fun but I don't know what happened since Maurice died, I stopped going to La Marquise once he sold it.

http://www.croissantdornola.com/

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/20 ... s_fro.html

I would take a walking tour of the French Quarter .. there are many very good Ghost, Vampire, Voodoo and history tours in the evening. Lots of fun.

https://www.frenchquarterphantoms.com/contact-us

http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Nolamike
Posts: 13945
Joined: 05 Dec 2005, 21:31
Location: Heaven, Hell, or Houston
Contact:

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Nolamike » 14 Sep 2015, 04:10

Flower wrote:I've lived in New Orleans on and off but not since 2004 and the last time that I was there was in 2005.


:shock:

Flower wrote: to the list ....

I've always enjoyed Charlie's Steakhouse .. very funky and fun and now I see that they expanded their menu ..

http://charliessteakhousenola.com/

I also like the Palace Café which is now closed for renovation .. I especially love their white chocolate bread pudding.

http://www.palacecafe.com/

Croissant d'Or was great fun but I don't know what happened since Maurice died, I stopped going to La Marquise once he sold it.

http://www.croissantdornola.com/

http://www.nola.com/dining/index.ssf/20 ... s_fro.html

I would take a walking tour of the French Quarter .. there are many very good Ghost, Vampire, Voodoo and history tours in the evening. Lots of fun.

https://www.frenchquarterphantoms.com/contact-us

http://www.hauntedhistorytours.com/


Charlie's is a funky lil' spot, though since the expanded menu/renovation/change in wait staff, my preference for Crescent City Steaks has become abundantly clear.

And Palace is a good pick as well - housed in the old Werlein's Music Store, with a few remnants of its past life lingering about.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.


Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Anitarutle
Posts: 2
Joined: 17 Feb 2017, 02:24

Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans

Postby Anitarutle » 27 Feb 2017, 16:46

My rule about meat is that I dont eat any animal that I have named. If I am hungry and there is meat walking around I am going to eat.

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby clive gash » 28 Feb 2017, 22:14

How many animals have you named? Do you give them different ones than we'd expect - calling a Cow an Optedetrix for example, or a Pig Monsieur Snook?
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 01 Mar 2017, 21:47

LEAVE IT, SON

JUST LEAVE IT
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby clive gash » 02 Mar 2017, 12:19

FARK ORF
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?


User avatar
Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings
hounds people off the board
Posts: 19558
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: selling a self-detonating James Last CD to a Copenhagen thrift store

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby Dor-Relip Hotels and Bathings » 02 Mar 2017, 13:14

:o
Darkness_Fish wrote:This is a big fucking mess of absolute shit from the off.

User avatar
clive gash
wannabee enfant terrible
Posts: 17037
Joined: 29 Sep 2007, 00:32
Location: down the rabbit hole

Re: Thread on Where to Eat in New Orleans?

Postby clive gash » 02 Mar 2017, 13:49

Had the best Po' Boy I've ever tasted there, lovely baps.
It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man.

Diamond Dog wrote:...yet it quite clearly hit the target with you and your nonce, didn't it?