Memphis

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
rorebhoy

Memphis

Postby rorebhoy » 19 Jan 2015, 11:46

Good news is I'm off to Memphis in a fortnight with work - bad news is I have probably only a day or day and a half free time. Stax, Graceland on the agenda...what else should make the list as regards things to see, do, eat, drink? any good music store recommendations would be great.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Re: Memphis

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Jan 2015, 18:58

rorebhoy wrote:Good news is I'm off to Memphis in a fortnight with work - bad news is I have probably only a day or day and a half free time. Stax, Graceland on the agenda...what else should make the list as regards things to see, do, eat, drink? any good music store recommendations would be great.

Sun is much better than Stax if you only have a short time. Graceland is well worth it, and a shuttle runs from Sun to graceland.
The national civil rights museum is great, but can take a long time - but you should probably at least go for the significance of the place.
You have to eat bbq ribs. There are 50 perfectly good bars around the Beale street area, but no doubt others can suggest less tourists ones.

I think there is a Gibson guitar museum too.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 19 Jan 2015, 19:48

The Sun tour is great, and doesn't take long. As 99 says, the Civil Rights Museum takes a long time but is fantastic, and I would say the same for Stax.

Eats-wise, I recommend the Bar-B-Q Shop at 1782 Madison Avenue.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 19 Jan 2015, 19:50

I did Sun and Stax when we were there for the Memphis JU. I regret not making it to the Civil Rights Museum, and when I return to Memphis that will be number one on my list. I've never gone to Graceland, but I have little urge to go. Still, I've never heard someone with a bad word about the experience. I think Sun is a little better than Stax, mainly because the original room is still there. There's much more to see at Stax, but you don't get the same feeling (as it has been rebuilt). I don't have any strong views about the BBQ places---there are three or four major places and any of them should be easy to discover and perfectly fine.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Jan 2015, 20:54

You can also join the hordes watching the duck parade at the Peabody hotel.

I loved my visit to Memphis - great place - though I enjoyed nashville a lot more.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “All Around The World”