New York..........advice please...........

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
User avatar
souphound
World Class Ignoramus
Posts: 25007
Joined: 27 Oct 2003, 19:49
Location: Tralfamadore, with Montana Wildhack

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby souphound » 08 Jan 2015, 20:50

The last few time I stayed in NYC, I stayed at The Excelsior Hotel on the upper west side. Good location, not cheap but not crazy expensive. Near Central Park. Lots of restaurants and things to do around there.

The only problem is, I haven't been in at least 12 years, so, I have no clue if it has changed any.
Footy wrote:Last week, I discovered that the cordless drill I bought about 5 years ago is, in fact, a cordless screwdiver.

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2015, 20:54

Isn't it a pity about what they say about New York City.

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63813
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby sloopjohnc » 08 Jan 2015, 21:14

The G Experience! wrote:Isn't it a pity about what they say about New York City.


You waited three pages in for that joke?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
The Modernist
2018 BCB Cup Champ!
Posts: 12845
Joined: 13 Apr 2014, 20:42

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby The Modernist » 08 Jan 2015, 21:24

sloopjohnc wrote:
The G Experience! wrote:Isn't it a pity about what they say about New York City.


You waited three pages in for that joke?


It's the scandal and the vice - I love it!

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Guy E » 08 Jan 2015, 21:46

souphound wrote:
Guy E wrote:You'll probably fly into JFK. Newark Airport is more difficult to get to and more expensive by taxi.

And yes, a JU will be in order!



And LaGuardia seems to shut down at the drop of a hat. It seems very vulnerable to weather phenomena.

I don't think there are any International flights into LaGuardia (other than from Canada). It has a 1,500 mile radius limit for incoming and outbound flights.

But yeah, every ten or fifteen years an airplane skids off an icy runway into the drink at LaGuardia. I get so nervous flying into that friggin' airport.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Guy E » 08 Jan 2015, 21:51

Diamond Dog wrote:Didn't realise quite how close Philly and Washington are by plane either.....

Amtrak would be a better option for Philly and probably DC and Boston too. Getting to and from the airports, check-in 90-minutes before the flight, security, frequent delays... the flights themselves may be short, but it can take a lot of time to complete the journey. I've had to go to all those cities periodically for work and always took the train. Much more comfortable than a plane too.

As Qube said, there are cheap bus lines too, but then you'd be traveling on a bus.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
quix
Posts: 6460
Joined: 11 Apr 2007, 13:49
Location: La la land

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby quix » 08 Jan 2015, 22:19

Diamond Dog wrote:To be straight, Lin wants to go in either April or May - if we go- whereas I'd prefer Sept/Oct. Unless someone tells me categorically that there is a major difference in weather between those months (and I think April may be the iffiest of those months, I think?) then I shall proceed on that basis.


I'm hoping to go in May or September in 2016 also... I'll be celebrating my 50th (shit!!!) and my daughter will be 18 the same year so we're going together with my sister. I have to admit though that I'm hoping to stay somewhere very swanky and very central. I may not ever get the chance to go again! I might also spend a week in Boston (been there before and have family there) so we might take the train from there but then possibly fly back from JFK.

straw mimsy

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby straw mimsy » 08 Jan 2015, 22:43

Diamond Dog wrote:Just checked - May this year, return flights are around 75 minutes and £77 ......mmmmmm



Flights are crazy cheap right now. I think I'll probably be booking for May this year within the next day or 2.

User avatar
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Posts: 8185
Joined: 02 Nov 2003, 16:57
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Matty Red Sox » 16 Jan 2015, 05:52

As the resident non-resident New Yorker... I recommend going in the early fall, like you want. The Mets should be well out of it by then, so there will be really cheap tickets to be had. Football, which I gather is your real interest, will be tough... the prices and availability are the problem. Stub hub will show you some crazy prices. This being said, message me on Facebook at some point, and I'll connect you to my high school friend who has four season tickets to the Giants, he's hooked me up before at face value (many folks will double or triple the price) and the Giants are the better team (usually), and unless they're playing the Patriots or the Cowboys, he's often willing to help out with a ticket or two. And I genuinely believe that he'd be interested in your situation, being from the UK, using a music site to get info on this.
I can also give you info on a good place to stay in Brooklyn, a larger B&B, in Williamsburg (which, contrary to Snarfy's overall good advice, is near to lower Manhattan - a single seven minute ride to the East Village, closer than staying in midtown). Never/ever (Maarten) stayed there some years ago, ask him what he thought as a tourist, most folks seem to like it and the price is good... downside, I couldn't imagine Pauline (the owner) talking a reservation more than a year in advance.
And no, you can't fly into LGA from the UK, unless you've arranged a private jet... do JFK, for the time savings, money, convenience, and a host of other reasons, Newark is like Gatwick, but worse. When your visit gets closer, hit me up again, and I'll try to give you some more info.
the Eagles suck.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67310
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Jan 2015, 08:30

Thanks everyone (ad especially that last post from Matty!) - excellent stuff.

It's time like these when I realise why I keep coming back here, you know.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20812
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Jeemo » 16 Jan 2015, 09:06

Dick
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.


User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3723
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Fonz » 16 Jan 2015, 10:48

Matty Red Sox wrote:As the resident non-resident New Yorker... I recommend going in the early fall, like you want. The Mets should be well out of it by then, so there will be really cheap tickets to be had. Football, which I gather is your real interest, will be tough... the prices and availability are the problem. Stub hub will show you some crazy prices. This being said, message me on Facebook at some point, and I'll connect you to my high school friend who has four season tickets to the Giants, he's hooked me up before at face value (many folks will double or triple the price) and the Giants are the better team (usually), and unless they're playing the Patriots or the Cowboys, he's often willing to help out with a ticket or two. And I genuinely believe that he'd be interested in your situation, being from the UK, using a music site to get info on this.
I can also give you info on a good place to stay in Brooklyn, a larger B&B, in Williamsburg (which, contrary to Snarfy's overall good advice, is near to lower Manhattan - a single seven minute ride to the East Village, closer than staying in midtown). Never/ever (Maarten) stayed there some years ago, ask him what he thought as a tourist, most folks seem to like it and the price is good... downside, I couldn't imagine Pauline (the owner) talking a reservation more than a year in advance.
And no, you can't fly into LGA from the UK, unless you've arranged a private jet... do JFK, for the time savings, money, convenience, and a host of other reasons, Newark is like Gatwick, but worse. When your visit gets closer, hit me up again, and I'll try to give you some more info.



I think the Brooklyn Brewery is in Williamsburg, right?
Their 'Sorachi Ace' is the best beer I ve ever had, from the barrel, at their beer hall, which, if you like beer, is an essential stop. Well worth a visit.
If you do like beer, go to the 'Ginger Man ' pub on I think, East 36th St. Similar to a real pub, with the best beer selection EVER!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."

User avatar
Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Posts: 8185
Joined: 02 Nov 2003, 16:57
Location: from NYC and happy to be in Hiroshima, hated Jakarta

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Matty Red Sox » 17 Jan 2015, 07:28

Gingerman is NOT one of the better beer bars anymore... again Williamsburg and Greenpoint are better. I think Pete might like Standings - I used to bartend there - the beers are all US micros (except for Bub Light - it's like a joke), not the selection of the Gingerman, but generally interesting beers AND its tiny, so you do have conversation AND has been rated the best place in NYC to watch sports several times... even though it's tiny, it has about twenty flat screens around the place each tuned to the best games of the day. Sunday they put out a free brunch for the football/basketball crowd, Fridays have free pizza, plenty of other specials. Tell Gary (the owner) that you know me and he'll make sure you're taken care of. Tip well, they'll take care of you.
As for the Brooklyn Brewery, it's good, better beers available there than in the bars that sell their product - I'm not a Sorachi Ace lover, but it's a solid beer - if I was seeking out local beers in NYC, I'd start at Brouwerij Lanes https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brouweri ... 7198780715 - they sell to go, or you drink there (great pizza down the street at Paulie G's) - the staff will be up on the best beers and places to go for it in the area, it's often possible that a brewer will be there and even take you under their wing.
Again, though, for sports go see some live stuff in NYC, see the Rangers, by far the most exciting sports event in New York (absolutely check who they playing, see to it that you are not wearing their colors)...
Oh and have lunch at Peter Lugers, bring about $100 cash. Trust me on this.
the Eagles suck.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15637
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Jimbo » 17 Jan 2015, 09:39

New York City can fuck off. Rent a car and drive upstate to the most beautiful and historic area in the whole US.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53079
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Jan 2015, 16:56

Matty Red Sox wrote:Oh and have lunch at Peter Lugers, bring about $100 cash. Trust me on this.

He's not lying. Best steak in town. You HAVE TO go there.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15637
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Jimbo » 17 Jan 2015, 17:41

Snarfyguy wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:Oh and have lunch at Peter Lugers, bring about $100 cash. Trust me on this.

He's not lying. Best steak in town. You HAVE TO go there.


Rather do as I did last year. Drive upstate two hours (go to a funeral) and have a meal at The Bear in Woodstock owned by manager of Dylan and many other notables, Albert Grossman. Not too fancy but not too shabby neither. And the burger set was only $16.00, and a great burger it was! http://www.bearcafe.com/

Wine Spectator Award of Excellence since 1999
New York Times: "Where the Powerful and Famous Nosh"
Cover, Saveur Magazine
Chronogram "Best overall"
The Kingston Daily Freeman "The Bear Cafe, one of the area's top dinning destinations"
Featured in High Life Magazine British Airways
Featured in The New Yorker
Gourmet Magazine: "Arguably the best restaurant in the region"
New York Magazine: "fresh, imaginative, new-American Fare, as well as a lively,,, glamorous?... bar scene"
New York Times Travel Section:"The Bear Cafe is definitely the big game in town"
Poughkeepsie Journal: "Include it in your plans for a memorable dinning experience. Very likely you'll give their performance rave reviews."
High Times: "Wow, Man!"

And consider staying at the Woodstock Country inn, bed and breakfast to David Bowie and lotsa other rock stars. My wife really dug it. http://woodstockcountryinn.com/

Image
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53079
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Snarfyguy » 17 Jan 2015, 18:14

Jimbo wrote:High Times: "Wow, Man!"

:lol:

Jimbo's right - the Hudson Valley is a gorgeous place. I don't think anyone visiting NYC from overseas will have a shortage of things to do in the city, but given sufficient time in the region, a weekend Upstate is a wonderful way to spend it.

Disclaimer: you can skip Poughkeepsie. I grew up there; I know.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15637
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Jimbo » 17 Jan 2015, 18:35

Snarfyguy wrote:
Disclaimer: you can skip Poughkeepsie. I grew up there; I know.


Ellenville, too.

Then again Ellenville does have Sam's Point, the highest lookout in the Shawangunk Mts.

Image
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
Fonz
Posts: 3723
Joined: 17 Feb 2014, 14:10
Location: Nevermore

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Fonz » 18 Jan 2015, 11:45

Matty Red Sox wrote:Gingerman is NOT one of the better beer bars anymore... again Williamsburg and Greenpoint are better. I think Pete might like Standings - I used to bartend there - the beers are all US micros (except for Bub Light - it's like a joke), not the selection of the Gingerman, but generally interesting beers AND its tiny, so you do have conversation AND has been rated the best place in NYC to watch sports several times... even though it's tiny, it has about twenty flat screens around the place each tuned to the best games of the day. Sunday they put out a free brunch for the football/basketball crowd, Fridays have free pizza, plenty of other specials. Tell Gary (the owner) that you know me and he'll make sure you're taken care of. Tip well, they'll take care of you.
As for the Brooklyn Brewery, it's good, better beers available there than in the bars that sell their product - I'm not a Sorachi Ace lover, but it's a solid beer - if I was seeking out local beers in NYC, I'd start at Brouwerij Lanes https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brouweri ... 7198780715 - they sell to go, or you drink there (great pizza down the street at Paulie G's) - the staff will be up on the best beers and places to go for it in the area, it's often possible that a brewer will be there and even take you under their wing.
Again, though, for sports go see some live stuff in NYC, see the Rangers, by far the most exciting sports event in New York (absolutely check who they playing, see to it that you are not wearing their colors)...
Oh and have lunch at Peter Lugers, bring about $100 cash. Trust me on this.



But... The Gingerman is in Midtown-walking distance from many of the 'top attractions'...pretty much across the street (?6th Ave) from the Empire State Building...

Next time I'm in NYC, which may be a while, I'll drop you a line Matty. Beer is my 'thing', and I'm always on the lookout for a nice pint.
Cheers!
Heyyyy!

"Fonz clearly has no fucks to give. I like the cut of his Cupicidal gib."