New York..........advice please...........

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
der nister

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby der nister » 27 Apr 2015, 15:16

Qube, that is an awesome resource you created!

Amazing to see Generations, and Rebel Rebel still hanging in there.

Have ever checked out

Discorama
44 W8th Street
New York, NY 10011
Phone 1: 1-212-477-9410

They deal in promos, and overstock
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 19:00

Impressive map.

Here's a nice place to shop for funky jewelry .. http://cestmagnifiquejewelry.com/ .. they moved from MacDougal to East 9th Street.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 19:31

der nister wrote:Qube, that is an awesome resource you created!

Have ever checked out

Discorama
44 W8th Street
New York, NY 10011

I miss West 8th Street .. I loved Azuma and Bootstrap shoes .. my dad used to shop at Gene's Stagg Shop and my parents loved the $.69 store. Now more than ever I wish for a time machine to take a quick trip to Sutter's Bakery, La Crepe and my beloved Jon Vie Bakery. Jon Vie was one of the last places that sold Charlotte Russe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/nyreg ... tion=&_r=0

This is a great site ... http://forgotten-ny.com/2012/03/greenwich-avenue/

Qube

Postby Qube » 27 Apr 2015, 20:26

Discorama is a new one to me, thanks! I just added it :)

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 27 Apr 2015, 21:55

Qube wrote:
What sort of food do you normally like?

I've been making a google map with some of my favourite spots on (plus all the music venues and record shops. I made it because I wanted to think about where to grab a bit before going to a gig): https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... L0y5m5C4dU

Corporate whore wrote:We will be in New York May 25-31: If anyone fancies drinkies one night...

I'm always up for a drink! That's a pretty busy week but hopefully we can sort something out (at a quick glance I can't do 27, 28 and 29). Might be worth sending a PM out to Guy, Snarfy, etc to see who is around.

There's nothing I don't like. Just coming back from South Africa I realised I had an aversion of eating European food over there, because it just seemed wrong. So I guess I want to eat what America does best. Also budget is Limited.

I'm hoping to catch the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion gig on the 28th.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 22:12

New York 'dirty water' hotdogs.

New York pretzels.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 27 Apr 2015, 22:26

Flower wrote:This is a great site ... http://forgotten-ny.com/2012/03/greenwich-avenue/

In the three years since that page was published, so much of the stuff on it is gone already gone that it's hard to believe.

New York feels like a sinking ship these days. :(
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 22:45

I know it's so sad. I never thought that places like Balducci's on 6th Avenue would close. Also, turning the Waverly into IFC isn't the same .. I remember seeing the line ups for the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show with the audience dressed as characters in the movie.

der nister

Postby der nister » 27 Apr 2015, 23:16

Flower wrote:
der nister wrote:Qube, that is an awesome resource you created!

Have ever checked out

Discorama
44 W8th Street
New York, NY 10011

I miss West 8th Street .. I loved Azuma and Bootstrap shoes .. my dad used to shop at Gene's Stagg Shop and my parents loved the $.69 store. Now more than ever I wish for a time machine to take a quick trip to Sutter's Bakery, La Crepe and my beloved Jon Vie Bakery. Jon Vie was one of the last places that sold Charlotte Russe.

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/12/21/nyreg ... tion=&_r=0

This is a great site ... http://forgotten-ny.com/2012/03/greenwich-avenue/

like!

der nister

Postby der nister » 27 Apr 2015, 23:20

Flower wrote:I know it's so sad. I never thought that places like Balducci's on 6th Avenue would close. Also, turning the Waverly into IFC isn't the same .. I remember seeing the line ups for the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show with the audience dressed as characters in the movie.

It is sad.

But something like Balducci's was bound to fail. They were onverpriced to the consumer, and incompetent and arrogant to those within the business world; a bad mixture.

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 23:27

der nister wrote:
Flower wrote:I know it's so sad. I never thought that places like Balducci's on 6th Avenue would close. Also, turning the Waverly into IFC isn't the same .. I remember seeing the line ups for the midnight showing of the Rocky Horror Picture Show with the audience dressed as characters in the movie.

It is sad.

But something like Balducci's was bound to fail. They were onverpriced to the consumer, and incompetent and arrogant to those within the business world; a bad mixture.

They never had friendly pricing.

der nister

Postby der nister » 27 Apr 2015, 23:33

Flower wrote:
der nister wrote:

It is sad.

They never had friendly pricing.

No, but everything looked great.

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Apr 2015, 02:33

If anyone wants gig suggestions for those two weeks (I'm going to all of these, not sure if a couple might be sold out already)...

Sat 05/16: Mac McCaughan, Flesh Wounds at Baby's All Right $14d
Sat 05/16: A Place to Bury Strangers, Sleepies, Pill, Bambara at Brooklyn Night Bazaar FREE
Wed 05/20: TV on the Radio, Bo Ningen at Kings Theatre $45
Thu 05/21: Kaki King at Rough Trade $20
Fri 05/22: Vaadat Charigim, Dead Heavens, Wildhoney at Baby's All Right $10a
Sat 05/23: Follakzoid, SQURL at Rough Trade $12
Wed 05/27: FIDLAR, METZ at Music Hall of Williamsburg $17
Thu 05/28: Pixies, John Grant at Kings Theatre $39.50
Fri 05/29: Steven Wilson at Best Buy Theater
Mon 06/01: Ride, Penguinsrising at Music Hall of Williamsburg

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Apr 2015, 02:45

straw mimsy wrote:There's nothing I don't like. Just coming back from South Africa I realised I had an aversion of eating European food over there, because it just seemed wrong. So I guess I want to eat what America does best. Also budget is Limited.

I'm hoping to catch the Jon Spencer Blues Explosion gig on the 28th.

Chinatown is your friend! Lots of great places for cheap. A pumpkin steamed bun from Golden Steamer (unfortunate name aside) is a buck, and then you can get an amazing banh mi sandwich from Saigon on Broome Street for under $6. Tasty Dumpling/Prosperity Dumpling/Lam Zhou (take your pick) will get you a serving of lovely dumplings for $1-2 as well. There's also Vanessa's Dumpling House, their dumplings aren't as good, but they do a great sesame pancake sandwich selection all for under $3.

Of course, you'll need to eat plenty of pizza... that'll depend on where you're staying really as there's bound to be a decent option nearby. If you're anywhere near Midwood in Brooklyn, Di Fara is worth the wait and the extra price. But otherwise, my favourite slice joint might be Prince Street Pizza. Beware dollar slices, you're almost always better off going somewhere and paying $2.50-$3 per slice.

Taim is the place to go for a falafel sandwich, and you must go to Abraco on East 7th street if you like coffee.

I'd also heartily recommend some pierogies from Stage, but they're closed at the moment and may not come back.

Bunna Cafe in Bushwick is a lovely vegan Ethiopian restaurant too if you're out that way.

If you want steak, the flank steak from St Anselm is possibly the best $15 you can spend in the city (but it'll add up a bit more after you add a side, etc).

I could talk about food for some time...

Qube

Postby Qube » 28 Apr 2015, 15:05

der nister wrote:
straw mimsy wrote:There are two easy to get to NYC Jewish deli/diners: Carnegie and Juniors

There's Ben's in midtown, and Katz's on the Lower East side

Maybe not Carnigie... http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.2198242

der nister

Postby der nister » 28 Apr 2015, 15:14

Qube wrote:
der nister wrote:
straw mimsy wrote:There are two easy to get to NYC Jewish deli/diners: Carnegie and Juniors

There's Ben's in midtown, and Katz's on the Lower East side

Maybe not Carnigie... http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/nyc ... -1.2198242

:lol: classic!

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 28 Apr 2015, 21:38

Qube wrote:
Chinatown is your friend! Lots of great places for cheap. A pumpkin steamed bun from Golden Steamer (unfortunate name aside) is a buck, and then you can get an amazing banh mi sandwich from Saigon on Broome Street for under $6. Tasty Dumpling/Prosperity Dumpling/Lam Zhou (take your pick) will get you a serving of lovely dumplings for $1-2 as well. There's also Vanessa's Dumpling House, their dumplings aren't as good, but they do a great sesame pancake sandwich selection all for under $3.

Of course, you'll need to eat plenty of pizza... that'll depend on where you're staying really as there's bound to be a decent option nearby. If you're anywhere near Midwood in Brooklyn, Di Fara is worth the wait and the extra price. But otherwise, my favourite slice joint might be Prince Street Pizza. Beware dollar slices, you're almost always better off going somewhere and paying $2.50-$3 per slice.

Taim is the place to go for a falafel sandwich, and you must go to Abraco on East 7th street if you like coffee.

I'd also heartily recommend some pierogies from Stage, but they're closed at the moment and may not come back.

Bunna Cafe in Bushwick is a lovely vegan Ethiopian restaurant too if you're out that way.

If you want steak, the flank steak from St Anselm is possibly the best $15 you can spend in the city (but it'll add up a bit more after you add a side, etc).

I could talk about food for some time...

This sounds AMAZING! Don't hold back if you want to tell me ALL about the food. I'm the same if anyone comes to visit me where I am. It's the best part about knowing a place really well is knowing where to eat. Sorry I'm so strapped for time right now, will reply properly if I can later. But I'll DEFINITELY take all this on board.

Flower

Postby Flower » 29 Apr 2015, 03:22

Ferrara .. bakery and café on Grand between Mulberry and Mott .. we'd walk over for coffee and dessert after going to China Town.

http://ferraranyc.com/pages/menu

While in New York, you need to get Rainbow Cookies. They can be found in Italian and Jewish bakeries.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 29 Apr 2015, 09:52

Brilliant stuff: I will suggest a date for a get together once. I've checked out our plans. I do fancy the Pixies, but not sure Denise will.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 30 Apr 2015, 00:29

Qube wrote:If anyone wants gig suggestions for those two weeks (I'm going to all of these, not sure if a couple might be sold out already)...

Sat 05/16: Mac McCaughan, Flesh Wounds at Baby's All Right $14d
Sat 05/16: A Place to Bury Strangers, Sleepies, Pill, Bambara at Brooklyn Night Bazaar FREE
Wed 05/20: TV on the Radio, Bo Ningen at Kings Theatre $45
Thu 05/21: Kaki King at Rough Trade $20
Fri 05/22: Vaadat Charigim, Dead Heavens, Wildhoney at Baby's All Right $10a
Sat 05/23: Follakzoid, SQURL at Rough Trade $12
Wed 05/27: FIDLAR, METZ at Music Hall of Williamsburg $17
Thu 05/28: Pixies, John Grant at Kings Theatre $39.50
Fri 05/29: Steven Wilson at Best Buy Theater
Mon 06/01: Ride, Penguinsrising at Music Hall of Williamsburg

Could I trouble you for gigs for the week from July 5th, ta
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Return to “All Around The World”