New York..........advice please...........

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Guy E

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby Guy E » 19 Jan 2015, 17:13

Fonz wrote:
Matty Red Sox wrote:Gingerman is NOT one of the better beer bars anymore... again Williamsburg and Greenpoint are better. I think Pete might like Standings - I used to bartend there - the beers are all US micros (except for Bub Light - it's like a joke), not the selection of the Gingerman, but generally interesting beers AND its tiny, so you do have conversation AND has been rated the best place in NYC to watch sports several times... even though it's tiny, it has about twenty flat screens around the place each tuned to the best games of the day. Sunday they put out a free brunch for the football/basketball crowd, Fridays have free pizza, plenty of other specials. Tell Gary (the owner) that you know me and he'll make sure you're taken care of. Tip well, they'll take care of you.
As for the Brooklyn Brewery, it's good, better beers available there than in the bars that sell their product - I'm not a Sorachi Ace lover, but it's a solid beer - if I was seeking out local beers in NYC, I'd start at Brouwerij Lanes https://www.facebook.com/pages/Brouweri ... 7198780715 - they sell to go, or you drink there (great pizza down the street at Paulie G's) - the staff will be up on the best beers and places to go for it in the area, it's often possible that a brewer will be there and even take you under their wing.
Again, though, for sports go see some live stuff in NYC, see the Rangers, by far the most exciting sports event in New York (absolutely check who they playing, see to it that you are not wearing their colors)...
Oh and have lunch at Peter Lugers, bring about $100 cash. Trust me on this.

But... The Gingerman is in Midtown-walking distance from many of the 'top attractions'...pretty much across the street (?6th Ave) from the Empire State Building...

Next time I'm in NYC, which may be a while, I'll drop you a line Matty. Beer is my 'thing', and I'm always on the lookout for a nice pint.
Cheers!

Yeah, I like the Gingerman and it's within walking distance of home for me. They have more of an international selection of beer, not so focused on American micro-brews (which is a really growing phenomenon across the nation judging from my road trip to Little Rock after Christmas). The Gingerman is a comfortable place when it's not crowded - weekend afternoons are very relaxed.

"Sports Bar" is not a selling point in my book - loud patrons with TV images flashing in your drink and food. My wife and I walked out of a restaurant the other day without sitting down because they had installed three wide-screen TV's in the little dining room, as if the eight TV's in the bar weren't enough. We're old. It's not our world anymore.

We've had a couple of Jolly Ups at the Gingerman. It's a good central location; BCB'ers far and wide can get there easily because it's a ten or 15-minute walk from Grand Central and Penn Station and there are several subway stops within a couple of blocks.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 20 Jan 2015, 14:57

Then Guye, you should try Standings... its the Anti-Sports Bar, none of what you said is true of Standings. A single game has sound - no competition, and the volume is low. Conversations are encouraged.

How you been by the way?
the Eagles suck.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 20 Jan 2015, 15:21

Doing well, PM sent.

Sports Bars in general have gotten more single-minded through the years and with the size of TV's these days... It's fun for a playoff game or something, but I generally don't dig it. I would enjoy exploring micro-brew pubs in Brooklyn, but for a centrally located rendezvous the Gingerman is still cool. There are so many flashy overpriced places... NYC is always evolving.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Jan 2015, 23:50

I recall the food being sub-par at The Ginger Man. But since we currently have no plans to gather there, I don't suppose it matters.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 01 Mar 2015, 00:49

July, The Jeemos, Jersey City.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 02 Mar 2015, 15:12

Jeemo wrote:July, The Jeemos, Jersey City.

Nice! And Me, Mimsy in May

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 02 Mar 2015, 15:27

straw mimsy wrote:
Jeemo wrote:July, The Jeemos, Jersey City.

Nice! And Me, Mimsy in May

:D
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 18 Apr 2015, 04:41

I've spent most of my life in the NYC Metro area (been migrating North (Central NJ, NYC, Bronx, Westchester). Sept/Oct the best time of year especially if you can spend a day in NY State or New England. Although I do agree its New York you never know . Plan some days doing stuff indoors - Museums, theater, comedy club, club, bars, concerts, Sports (Rangers, Yankees, Giants don't care about the rest :P ). Then there is always the food.

NYC might not have the best restaurant in the world but you can just about anything. These days you can find good food in most neighborhoods look at reviews. The best stuff and cheaper stuff seems t be in Queens and Brooklyn but can be hard to get to( I've got a car).

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 18 Apr 2015, 08:03

This has temporarily taken a back seat but i'd just like to thank everyone for their valued input/insight.

I think we will be going - but not now possibly until 2017.....but, if we do get there, it will be September or October I would guess. And almost certainly include a trip to Boston too.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 20 Apr 2015, 11:04

I'm going in 2 weeks for almost a month.

I have literally planned NOTHING. We'll see how it goes!

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Apr 2015, 16:18

straw mimsy wrote:I'm going in 2 weeks for almost a month.

I have literally planned NOTHING. We'll see how it goes!

Where are you staying in New York?

This site should/could be helpful ... http://www.nyc-arts.org/collections?gcl ... aQodD5gADQ

I would also suggest taking some walking tours in any city that you visit.

http://www.freetoursbyfoot.com/new-york-tours/

New York is expensive but has a lot of free offerings.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 20 Apr 2015, 19:59

Cool, thanks!

I am not sure where I am staying. I have three friends that are fighting over me... I don't know where any of them actually live, except one who is in Brooklyn.
I have to see what I can do on the cheap... but having lived in NJ for 4 years, and spent a lot of time in NY for that time, I'm not really wanting to do much in the way of super touristing.
Might try and find me a Reuben sandwich, though.

der nister

Postby der nister » 25 Apr 2015, 21:39

straw mimsy wrote:Cool, thanks!

I am not sure where I am staying. I have three friends that are fighting over me... I don't know where any of them actually live, except one who is in Brooklyn.
I have to see what I can do on the cheap... but having lived in NJ for 4 years, and spent a lot of time in NY for that time, I'm not really wanting to do much in the way of super touristing.
Might try and find me a Reuben sandwich, though.

There are two easy to get to NYC Jewish deli/diners: Carnegie and Juniors

There's Ben's in midtown, and Katz's on the Lower East side

But the best is probably in NJ:

http://www.delikinglinden.com/deli-king ... iches.html
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Apr 2015, 13:18

der nister wrote:

I love Junior's cheesecake!

I cried when I heard that Ratner's had closed .. I loved their onion rolls and all else .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratner's

So many great places have closed.

der nister

Postby der nister » 26 Apr 2015, 21:52

Flower wrote:
der nister wrote:

I love Junior's cheesecake!

I cried when I heard that Ratner's had closed .. I loved their onion rolls and all else .. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ratner's

So many great places have closed.

The expense of Manhattan real estate sales/rent/leases is changing everything, pretty soon the vibrancy and variety of what people think is NYC will have to be found everywhere, but Manhattan.
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

Flower

Postby Flower » 26 Apr 2015, 22:06

I agree ... the Bowery/Lower Eastside was a slum not so long ago and now Williamsburg (a crime ridden slum when I was growing up) is hippy, trendy and expensive.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 27 Apr 2015, 10:30

der nister wrote:

Cool!

Look out, BCB! There may be a Mimsy's Sandwiches of America thread coming your way in a couple of weeks!

What else can I tell my hosts that I'm not leaving until I've tried?

Flower

Postby Flower » 27 Apr 2015, 12:26

You need to go to a feast or two ... lots of fun and great street food.

http://www.sangennaro.org/

The feast of St. Anthony is usually at the beginning of June.

http://www.nycnewsworthy.com/the-feast- ... ttle-italy

http://stanthonynyc.org/

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 27 Apr 2015, 13:53

We will be in New York May 25-31: If anyone fancies drinkies one night...

Qube

Postby Qube » 27 Apr 2015, 14:18

straw mimsy wrote:Look out, BCB! There may be a Mimsy's Sandwiches of America thread coming your way in a couple of weeks!

What else can I tell my hosts that I'm not leaving until I've tried?

What sort of food do you normally like?

I've been making a google map with some of my favourite spots on (plus all the music venues and record shops. I made it because I wanted to think about where to grab a bit before going to a gig): https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid= ... L0y5m5C4dU

Corporate whore wrote:We will be in New York May 25-31: If anyone fancies drinkies one night...

I'm always up for a drink! That's a pretty busy week but hopefully we can sort something out (at a quick glance I can't do 27, 28 and 29). Might be worth sending a PM out to Guy, Snarfy, etc to see who is around.

Return to “All Around The World”