New York..........advice please...........

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

New York..........advice please...........

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jan 2015, 21:03

I (we) may be looking to spend 4 or 5 days in New York in 2016 - yes I know it's a long way off and, yes, I know there's a travel section (which no one reads) but.... I'm looking for a bit of advice.

Simple question - best month to visit from April/May/June/Sept/Oct? And why?

And what do I need to know a bit about local stuff (which airport is best, where to stay etc) so you can give me any advice you like there too. I am trying to do this as cheaply as possible, but not slumming it. So, for instance, if there's a perfectly decent area to stay in which involves a 30 minute commute that is much cheaper than Times Square....let me know please. Weather too.

And if you have nothing sensible to add, go post elsewhere please.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: New York..........advice please...........

Postby harvey k-tel » 05 Jan 2015, 21:04

Diamond Dog wrote:
And if you have nothing sensible to add, go post elsewhere please.

Ah, nuts.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure

Postby Snarfyguy » 05 Jan 2015, 21:25

Here's a good guide to budget hotels: http://nymag.com/urban/guides/nyonthech ... hotels.htm Personally, I wouldn't bother staying uptown or in Brooklyn. They're too far away and there's no significant savings to be had doing so.

You don't have to spend an arm and a leg for decent accomodations.

As for times to visit, April's still a bit damp and cold; I don't know any drawbacks or advantages to your your other options. May is nice.

I hope you can carve out a little bit of time to meet up for a drink or a coffee or something. Feel free to ask about other activities, restaurants, etc.
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 05 Jan 2015, 21:27

Cheers Snarf, excellent stuff. Will read up.

It's very tentative but it looks a possibility. We really just want to cram as much into four/five days as we can.

I would prefer Sept/Oct because it may give me a chance to take in a game of football.... :lol:
Cocaine

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 05 Jan 2015, 21:30

My mind is boggling a LITTLE bit about planning something a YEAR in advance. I don't know what I'm doing in the next 5 minutes.
I DO however have a vaguest idea that I am thinking I MAY take myself to New York in May, because I have been promising to go for about 12 years now.
I sort of grew up in Jersey (well...went to high school there), and haven't been back since. My friends I may or may not be visiting have promised to show me around New York and Brooklyn. If I go I will tell you all about it.

Qube

Postby Qube » 05 Jan 2015, 21:40

The weather is never a guarantee, but Spring is the best time IMO, so late April/early May, when things are blooming and the temperature is actually pleasant for the three weeks or so in the year where it isn't too hot or too cold. Summer is too humid but you get the added bonus of lots of interesting free events/concerts, so it does depend on what you want to do.

Cabs from JFK give a fixed fee (I think it's $40-ish) from the airport into Manhattan (note, not Brooklyn). I've not used LaGuardia or Newark, so can't really advise, but LGA is tiny and I think is mostly for business flights, while Newark is out in NJ and you have to change a couple of times to get into the city.

As Snarf says, would be good to meet up if poss.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 05 Jan 2015, 22:02

I'm hoping to go in October
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Jimbly

Postby Jimbly » 05 Jan 2015, 22:34

We were $100 roughly in a cab from Newark airport. Nine years ago.
So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope

Postby Corporate whore » 05 Jan 2015, 22:50

Newark does have a courtesy bush the major hotels, it's about the same distance as JFK (if my memory serves me).

Re; cheap hotels, Hotel 17 is cheap, but also very basic. Lots of off broadway actors stay there, so it can be a bit funky.

B

Postby B » 05 Jan 2015, 23:34

Fuhgettaboutit

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jan 2015, 08:25

Qube wrote:The weather is never a guarantee, but Spring is the best time IMO, so late April/early May, when things are blooming and the temperature is actually pleasant for the three weeks or so in the year where it isn't too hot or too cold. Summer is too humid but you get the added bonus of lots of interesting free events/concerts, so it does depend on what you want to do.

...but they don't play football in April/May..... ;) Unless someone advises me otherwise, I'm guessing Sept/Oct is similar to May/June...... so is a perfectly acceptable time to visit (I'm going to have to persuade the lady of this....).
Cocaine

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 06 Jan 2015, 08:30

Had great weather in LA, NY and Miami when I was there in April...guess it is always luck of the draw regardless of the season, except winter then.

Booked most of my hotels via sites like Hotelscombined who offered some ridiculous good value, the B&B that got recommended here to me in New York was priceless!
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jan 2015, 10:26

There are dozens of cheap hotels.

I once stayed in a place near Union Square for a very small price, but I had to share a bathroom.....
I also stayed around 38th street for a very reasonable price - could walk there from Penn Station (having taken the train into the city from Newark airport).

You can get from both JFK and Newark into Manhattan by public transport. I gather from my wife that La Guardia is a bit out of the way (I haven't been there). I found travelling into the city from JFK very straightforward.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jan 2015, 13:14

To be straight, Lin wants to go in either April or May - if we go- whereas I'd prefer Sept/Oct. Unless someone tells me categorically that there is a major difference in weather between those months (and I think April may be the iffiest of those months, I think?) then I shall proceed on that basis.
Cocaine

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 06 Jan 2015, 13:18

Have you thought about AirBnB for accommodation? I would recommend it for somewhere like NYC - I imagine you could get a really nicely situated apartment for a reasonable price.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/s/New-York--NY ... d=tsv2qos1

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jan 2015, 13:23

This says May is the best time, Sept can be humid and uncomfortable.

http://www.tripadvisor.co.uk/Travel-g60763-s208/New-York-City:New-York:Weather.And.When.To.Go.html

But aren't there people who actaully live in NYC on this board? They should tell all.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Jan 2015, 13:34

:lol:

Well Snarf & Qube have responded.....

I'll look into that Toby, thanks.

May looking best? Damn...............("I suppose a game of baseball is out of the question, Lin?")
Cocaine

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jan 2015, 13:42

Diamond Dog wrote::lol:

Well Snarf & Qube have responded.....

I'll look into that Toby, thanks.

May looking best? Damn...............("I suppose a game of baseball is out of the question, Lin?")

Would she not like baseball? You go along, have a drink for every odd inning and something to eat for every even inning, do the seventh inning stetch, and experience genuine Americana. Maybe get her to watch the Drew Barrymore version of Fever Pitch.

My wife likes going to see sporting events. When we were in Melbourne a few years back I suggested a Rules game, and she was up for it. When I suggested leaving at the end of the third quarter (with one team up by 35 points) she said we should stay. Good thing too - we saw a brilliant comeback.

TG

Postby TG » 06 Jan 2015, 13:43

Diamond Dog wrote:I would prefer Sept/Oct because it may give me a chance to take in a game of football.... :lol:

So you'll be including the Boston area in your trip? If not, then the closest you'll get to football is either the Giants or the Jets. Close approximations to be sure, but... ;)
Jeff K wrote:Not at all. I love TG. I might be the only one on BCB who does but I don't care.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 06 Jan 2015, 13:44

TG wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:I would prefer Sept/Oct because it may give me a chance to take in a game of football.... :lol:

So you'll be including the Boston area in your trip? If not, then the closest you'll get to football is either the Giants or the Jets. Close approximations to be sure, but... ;)

The Red Bulls

Return to “All Around The World”