Malta.

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Polishgirl

Malta.

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 12:58

Have accidentally booked a few days in Valletta, early next year. Have paid a bit extra for a hotel room with lovely views across the waterfront.

Anybody got any hints of a Malteser type style? I've got the impression that it's really easy to travel all over the island by bus, and across to Gozo by ferry, and so am keen for hints/tips.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Hugh

Re: Malta.

Postby Hugh » 14 Aug 2014, 13:06

Without wishing to put you off in any way, everyone I know who has been has hated it. This is principally because their hotels were full of irritable pensioners who would have been more suited to a fortnight in Blackpool.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 13:08

Hugh wrote: their hotels were full of irritable pensioners who would have been more suited to a fortnight in Blackpool.

That's not a problem. It's been proved, scientifically, that I am at least 7.4 times more irritable than the average British pensioner. They'd better watch out.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 14 Aug 2014, 13:10

I think Griff is your go-to Malta guy. He is very knowledgeable about the buses.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 14 Aug 2014, 16:25

They've got rid of all the busses now. I think First Direct took over but things haven't been going smoothly.

It is very much like Britain in the 50s in Valletta itself. A lot of the shop frontages and signs haven't changed. That's quite nice in a way.

The history of Malta is fascinating. Knights Templars and WW2 which suits me right down to the ground.

I was there for a photography conference so I didn't see much but I'd go back.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 16:34

The Prof wrote:They've got rid of all the busses now. I think First Direct took over but things haven't been going smoothly.

It is very much like Britain in the 50s in Valletta itself. A lot of the shop frontages and signs haven't changed. That's quite nice in a way.

The history of Malta is fascinating. Knights Templars and WW2 which suits me right down to the ground.

I was there for a photography conference so I didn't see much but I'd go back.

But I NEED a proper bus service. :evil:

Yes, we like the combination of interesting historical nuggetry that it offers. Liking the sound of the old-fashioned vibe, too.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 14 Aug 2014, 18:44

There's a templars hospital that has been turned into a museum.
The History of Malta museum is a good place to start as it gives a good overview of.... surprisingly..... the history of Malta.

One place to avoid is a small restaurant on the quayside. There's a sculpture thing that says LOVE upside down so you can read it's reflection the right way round in the water. It's the nearest one to that.
Anyway the bugger that owned it put sliced tinned potatoes on a pizza I ordered that weren't on the menu and got all uppity when I companied.
He was even worse when we didn't leave a tip too. Bastard.

Phil T

Postby Phil T » 14 Aug 2014, 18:49

The Prof wrote:There's a templars hospital that has been turned into a museum.
The History of Malta museum is a good place to start as it gives a good overview of.... surprisingly..... the history of Malta.

One place to avoid is a small restaurant on the quayside. There's a sculpture thing that says LOVE upside down so you can read it's reflection the right way round in the water. It's the nearest one to that.
Anyway the bugger that owned it put sliced tinned potatoes on a pizza I ordered that weren't on the menu and got all uppity when I companied.
He was even worse when we didn't leave a tip too. Bastard.

Thanks for the tips. And if I see the tinned potato man, I'll slap his legs.

(oops, realised too late - I'm incognito)

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Aug 2014, 19:37

Polishgirl wrote:Have accidentally booked a few days in Valletta, early next year. Have paid a bit extra for a hotel room with lovely views across the waterfront.

Anybody got any hints of a Malteser type style? I've got the impression that it's really easy to travel all over the island by bus, and across to Gozo by ferry, and so am keen for hints/tips.

How did it end up accidental? Where did you mean to book for?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 20:01

Well......I get various holiday offers emailed to me, and I saw one yesterday which was £129pp for flights and 3 nights in one of various cities, like a mystery thing. You don't get to find out where you're going until you pay and specify a date and airport.

I thought it would be fun, but Phil doesn't really like surprises, so then I said I could try and put together something for a similar price, so we went through all the places you can fly to from Exeter or Bristol...

...and, hey presto! We decided on Malta, for a price "somewhat" higher than the original £129.

So, what started as one of my usually unsuccessful attempts to persuade Phil to let me book a holiday ended up, a mere couple of hours later, with me actually booking it. She shoots, she scores.... victory is mine... etc. etc...

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Postby the masked man » 14 Aug 2014, 20:37

I liked Malta when I was there. If I'm being honest, it's not full of massively exciting things to do, but it's a good place to soak up the atmosphere. It really is a very pleasant island.

Valletta is part of conurbation that includes many of Malta's more populous towns, including Floriana, Birkirkara, Sliema (where I stayed), St Julian's (where the aforementioned 'Love' statue is) and Pembroke. If you're anything like me, you'll just want to wander round this area following your nose and seeing what you can find. Sliema and St Julian's are the main shopping centres in this area.

If you like old architecture, head for the centre of the island to the old capital of Mdina, the 'silent city'. That nickname was somewhat ironic when I visited, as it was full of workmen with drills and jackhammers repairing the streets....Another place worth visiting is Marsaxlokk, a charming fishing village in the south which runs a famous Sunday market. Travel shouldn't be a problem, particularly as the island is even tinier than you think. I once took a bus journey from Sliema to St Julian's and realised that a route that looked longer on the map only covered about a mile and was easily walkable.

The neighbouring island of Gozo is also worth a day-trip. There's a castle in the middle of its largest town, Victoria. Climb up to the top of the ramparts and you have a 360 degree panorama of the entire island, which was pretty cool.

Cuisine is largely fish and seafood-based (unsurprisingly), and you could get inexpensive pub grub that was far better than just about anything you'd get in comparable British bars. I hope you have a good time out there!

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 21:35

Thank you! I shall look into Mdina - I read about it only v briefly.

I like the idea of it being a bit sleepy; it will be a good contrast to my normal city breaks. And I didn't realise that all those places are so close to one another. Perfect! :D

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 14 Aug 2014, 21:46

Talking of surprise tours, imagine the delight of my brother and his then fiancé when they booked a Magical Mystery Tour to celebrate an anniversary. They left their London home and got on the magical tour bus from Victoria who said ladies and gentleman today we'll be going to Sunny Bradford! Their hometown they had taken joy in leaving just a month earlier.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 14 Aug 2014, 22:38

:lol: superb.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 17 Aug 2014, 21:52

I went to Malta 20 years ago and would second nearly everything Masked Man said. Mdina is really very good - as I recall they actually lock the place up at night, but there are some restaurants in it and if you have booked you can still get in the city. I may have misremembered this.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 03 Sep 2014, 13:28

Mdina looks especially atmospheric. We'd probably just go there on the bus for a day... :D

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 04 Sep 2014, 21:50

Just watched a documentary of the siege of Malta.

Absolutely amazing how the SS IHIO was towed into Malta with all it's supplies.

Neige
Alpine Numpty
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Postby Neige » 05 Sep 2014, 13:38

Lady Neigemont spent a one-week holiday on her own there last November, brought back some amazing pictures.

Here's some of her thoughts:

- The buses stop at every street corner and it takes rather long getting from one place to the other. You might be better off renting a car (we both don't drive, so that's not an option).

- Next time, she'd rather stay in Valletta, which she liked a lot and where there is quite a lot to see, instead of remote tourist resort Mellieha.

- The grumpy pensioners bit mentioned by Hugh isn't all wrong, but it's not like they're everywhere - she avoided them by not spending too much time at the hotel.

- Early next year, you say? It won't be very warm then, but also not as rainy as in late fall...
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 05 Sep 2014, 14:39

Neige wrote:Lady Neigemont spent a one-week holiday on her own there last November, brought back some amazing pictures.

Here's some of her thoughts:

- The buses stop at every street corner and it takes rather long getting from one place to the other. You might be better off renting a car (we both don't drive, so that's not an option).

- Next time, she'd rather stay in Valletta, which she liked a lot and where there is quite a lot to see, instead of remote tourist resort Mellieha.

- The grumpy pensioners bit mentioned by Hugh isn't all wrong, but it's not like they're everywhere - she avoided them by not spending too much time at the hotel.

- Early next year, you say? It won't be very warm then, but also not as rainy as in late fall...

Thank you! The place I've booked is Valletta, so it's reassuring to know it would be Mrs N's choice next time round. The car thing- it's tempting, but the buses seem to be so cheap, and I tend to get road rage on a very frequent basis - which isn't relaxing for me or Phil... :D

I looked at the typical weather for March - apparently, there's a reasonably high chance of rain, but showers tend to be quick and then they're over ( which BETTER BE TRUE). I suppose the rain is a good excuse to dive into a café/ bar.....

Esp liking the sound of the amazing pictures.. 8-)

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 19 Dec 2015, 00:13

No. Paying for a wedding got in the way, so we decided to cancel it. Of course, there's always the honeymoon....

Return to “All Around The World”