I don't love New York City

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

I LOVE NEW YORK

Yes
73%
No
12%
Meh
15%

Total votes: 26

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

I don't love New York City

Postby Jimbo » 22 Apr 2014, 03:55

What a shit hole. Dirty, expensive, broken down trains, busses roads and buildings and more creepy looking low-lifes than in a Mad Max film. But some folks rave about it being the greatest place anywhere. Someone please tell me why they like New York. Or agree with me.
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Re: I don't love New York City

Postby Jimbo » 22 Apr 2014, 04:54

And what is up with the need for every restaurant to be trendy? Even the typical New York delis and diners are touted as something to be experienced rather than place to just get some goddamn food.
Question authority.

BARON CORNY DOG
Diamond Geezer

Postby BARON CORNY DOG » 22 Apr 2014, 05:02

The first time I set foot in New York City, I would've been about 17---maybe 1991. My view of the city was formed by 70s sitcoms and New York movies. I knew I wanted to be there.

My dad was driving and I remember feeling almost like we were being pulled into Manhattan by whichever tunnel we took in (probably the Holland). We found a place to park somewhere downtown for $20 or some amount that I found truly shocking, and got out and started walking. I was flabbergasted by how beautiful and green the city was. There was never any doubt in my mind I was in the greatest place in the world. It's now pretty obvious I'm not going to live there, but I wish I was there more often.
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

Piggly Wiggly

Postby Piggly Wiggly » 22 Apr 2014, 07:25

Baron Chili Bore wrote:It's now pretty obvious I'm not going to live there, but I wish I was there more often.

What he said.

mentalist (slight return)
under mi sensi

Postby mentalist (slight return) » 22 Apr 2014, 07:38

I've never been there but I love it unreservedly.
king of the divan

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Apr 2014, 10:56

They do get Darlene Love and Ronnie Spector every XMas at BB King's. It might still be the best place for concerts in the world.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

That's no place to be dad, (Colin).

Postby That's no place to be dad, (Colin). » 22 Apr 2014, 12:50

Seek and you will find him there you miserable bunch of non-believers...out with my guitar and and cue swooning clapping kids.

TELL ME THAT SHE'S GORGEOUS,I LOVE HER,

the problem is she's in New Delhi....

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 22 Apr 2014, 14:03

One of the most exciting cities in the world - I could wander the streets of manhattan for days on end. I love the openness of it - because of the grid pattern streets you can more or less always see the horizon even though the buildings on either side are very high.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 22 Apr 2014, 14:26

It's just so enormous - like it's almost unreal.

I love it, but could understand the dislike.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Apr 2014, 15:10

Too cold in the winter.
Beneluxfunkmeisterlurvegod

Qube

Postby Qube » 22 Apr 2014, 15:14

It's brilliant.

It really depends what you want or like really. Clearly if you want peace and tranquility you might struggle a little more, and there are times when you can feel alienated despite being surrounded by people, it's taken me a while to make friends but that probably says more about me than anything else, because I'm probably a bit of a dick.

But for me it's great, I went to 156 gigs last year and am close to 40 so far this year. The food is great, yes a lot of stuff can be expensive (rent!) but you can also find a lot of great stuff for cheap or free as well if you keep your ear to the ground (especially gigs). It's only been two-and-a-half years and I'm conscious that it could all change, but I'm genuinely excited to be living here and can't imagine being anywhere else.

Whenever I feel a little down I head out to my favourite cafe (Abraco on East 7th Street) and go shopping for records.

Although yeah, the weather is awful. This is the very short sweet spot where it is perfect, soon it will be too hot and humid, and this winter was brutal.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Apr 2014, 15:26

Hey Qube weren't in Florida before heading to NY? Do I remember that correctly?

The weather's mostly better there. And I loved Clearwater.

Qube

Postby Qube » 22 Apr 2014, 15:34

I've never been to Florida (I moved to NYC from Oxford, but my in-laws are from New Hampshire so I've spent a fair bit of time there). A friend just moved out to Florida from NYC so I really should visit at some point!

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 22 Apr 2014, 15:42

Walk In My Shadow wrote:Hey Qube weren't in Florida before heading to NY? Do I remember that correctly?

You're thinking of Brian.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Ray K.

Postby Ray K. » 22 Apr 2014, 17:17

My first real visit was when I was about 18 - taking the train up to hand out with some friends for the weekend. Over the years I've been up there many times and never tire of it - every corner you turn while strolling can be something special. It does contain some of the most horrible and vile places on the planet but they (and the horrible vile humans that frequent them) are easy to avoid. There is just so much to explore and every time I go up with someone new we get to experience a part of "our" particular New Yorks. Love it... though while it may be the greatest city Philly is still by far my favorite.

Walk In My Shadow
Hello Laydeez

Postby Walk In My Shadow » 22 Apr 2014, 17:58

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
Walk In My Shadow wrote:Hey Qube weren't in Florida before heading to NY? Do I remember that correctly?

You're thinking of Brian.

Sorry. Yeah, it was Brian.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Apr 2014, 18:47

Toby wrote:
I love it, but could understand the dislike.

That's a "meh".
Question authority.

Maryann

Postby Maryann » 22 Apr 2014, 18:56

i absolutely love it.... i've often said that i live in the perfect place, which is why i don't intend to ever move out; we're a short trip from the greatest city in the world, people pay millions each year to come visit and it's right in my own backyard... we're far enough not to have the ridiculous expenses and hassles of such cramped quarters, but close enough for a day trip, or even a couple hours' trip... i'm up in White Plains, in the next county up: Westchester, bordering The Bronx at Yonkers... in some spots, you can see the buildings, and when the Twin Towers were still up, you could see them on a clear day and they were instantly recognizable...

my brother has lived in the East Village since the early 80s and he doesn't ever want to leave, especially since he's in a rent-controlled apartment and doesn't pay nearly as much as non-rent-controlled places around there... i've gone down to hang out with him many times, and i've also gone down for no reason at all, just to simply BE there and take everything in... if i get on the train in White Plains, i can arrive at Grand Central Station in 25-30 minutes, then walk around.... it can be intimidating to get around if you're not used to it, but once you've done it enough times, it's not so scary.... you just need to use common sense and street smarts, not talk to crazy people, and watch out for asshole drivers who don't care if you have the right of way crossing the street....

There's always something to do, no matter what time of day you go... it's both beautiful and ugly, simultaneously... but never, EVER boring....

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 22 Apr 2014, 19:11

My one trip to NYC was in 1975, only spent a couple of days there. That was where I heard "The Hustle" for the first time! I think NYC peaked in the 1950s, with all the jazz clubs. But the 1950s were the cultural peak so many places.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

bobzilla77

Postby bobzilla77 » 22 Apr 2014, 19:12

I dig NYC. It's always an energy rush being there, and no shortage of things to do. I grew up in NJ so day trips to NYC were my first taste of the big city, and boy was it thrilling/ overwhelming.

I can remember being 16, just knocking around the streets, wandering into Times Square and some guy offerring me "twenty minutes in da bed, fifteen dollas!" It blew my mind for a minute, that this was something I could REALLY DO if I really wanted to. I didn't, but wow, people actually DO that stuff! Right here!

Once we started touring we always looked forward to NYC, it was so great to play there and something interesting always happened when we were in town. My mom and my old friends would sometimes come to the gig, we'd have lunch in Central Park or go to a Broadway show matinee. Walk down the street into a museum and see the most amazing art. I even had a long-distance romance with a woman that lived on Avenue B for a couple years there.

Yeah I love it. I couldn't live there full time but it will be a destination to look forward to for the rest of my life.
Jimbo wrote:I guess I am over Graham Nash's politics. Hopelessly naive by the standards I've molded for myself these days.

Return to “All Around The World”