Ireland - who else here lives there?

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Dr Markus

Re: Ireland - who else here lives there?

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Jan 2013, 13:52

all mimsy wrote:Reading this thread it's actually embarrassing how we can't pull off an Irish JU.

If we want to stereotype us Irish, we probably invented the JU in general.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 30 Jan 2013, 13:54

Dr Markus wrote:
all mimsy wrote:Reading this thread it's actually embarrassing how we can't pull off an Irish JU.

In your minds.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 30 Jan 2013, 14:00

Keith Jennings wrote:
Dr Markus wrote:

In your minds.

OOOOOOhhhhhh

Hark at her.

:P :P :P
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 30 Jan 2013, 18:02

This is great news! I'd back Roreboy on suggesting Galway - it's a great city. Full of life. Although not in a HK-kinda way. My God - the culture shock is going to be horrific! :-D

Although really, you should move to Northern Ireland. ;-)

An Irish JU. It is an embarrassment on our part. Needs to be rectified. But I'm not fucking planning it again.
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 30 Jan 2013, 18:16

Keith Jennings wrote:
Muskrat wrote:Balboa lives in Ireland, doesn't he?

Has he moved? He was in Yorkshire I thought.

Ireland, Yorkshire...I'm an American.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

rorebhoy

Postby rorebhoy » 31 Jan 2013, 11:53

Beebsy wrote:My God - the culture shock is going to be horrific! :-D

HK to Roscommon.

You had to go and mention the elephant in the room....

Postby ... » 31 Jan 2013, 12:59

It's not really that much of a culture shock, spent most of my holidays there when I was a kid and have been back every December for the last 10 years and Irish weather doesn't get much worse than rainy Roscommon town square on a rainy night. My wife, who's a Filipina, despite having back with me for the last decade or so, now she's in for a culture shock...

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 31 Jan 2013, 13:06

fueryhk(redux) wrote:It's not really that much of a culture shock, spent most of my holidays there when I was a kid and have been back every December for the last 10 years and Irish weather doesn't get much worse than rainy Roscommon town square on a rainy night. My wife, who's a Filipina, despite having back with me for the last decade or so, now she's in for a culture shock...

There’s a lot of Filipinos in Ireland, don’t know about Roscommon specifically but there’s a community of them in my town. They have their own mini basketball basketball league.
Last edited by Dr Markus on 01 Feb 2013, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 31 Jan 2013, 21:43

fueryhk(redux) wrote:It's not really that much of a culture shock, spent most of my holidays there when I was a kid and have been back every December for the last 10 years and Irish weather doesn't get much worse than rainy Roscommon town square on a rainy night. My wife, who's a Filipina, despite having back with me for the last decade or so, now she's in for a culture shock...

I don't know about culture shock, but it's more that even if you KNOW that things don't work very efficiently here, as a rule, it can get to you. I moved from Hong Kong to France (where we had lived some years before) and it's hard to get used to not being able to get things when you want them, that things are closed all the time and what not. Most of all, for me moving here from Britain, I STILL can't get used to the public transportation system. Buses do not work (and really Hong Kong is the best I know.)

But like you say, a change of pace is welcome, and I am really liking it here. I was warned that Dublin wasn't all that great, and every part of the country is better...but it works for me. It's not quite as overly urbanised as they would like to think :) Also it has a lot of sunshine compared to the rest of the country.

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 31 Jan 2013, 22:31

Dr Markus wrote:

There’s a lot of Filipinos in Ireland, don’t know about Roscommon specifically but there’s a community of them in my town. They have their own basketball mini basketball league.

The Filipinos - a great bunch of lads.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 01 Feb 2013, 09:26

Keith Jennings wrote:The Filipinos - a great bunch of lads.

I’m still trying to get awake here, so you’ll have forgive me if it’s was an innocent statement you made but are you suggesting there was something wrong with my post above?

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 01 Feb 2013, 21:46

Dr Markus wrote:
Keith Jennings wrote:The Filipinos - a great bunch of lads.

I’m still trying to get awake here, so you’ll have forgive me if it’s was an innocent statement you made but are you suggesting there was something wrong with my post above?

I thought you were a Father Ted fan Markus!

Beebsy

Postby Beebsy » 01 Feb 2013, 21:47

Don't move to Ireland. No sense of humour.
Bleep wrote:I agree with Beebsy

Copehead wrote:Small but beautifully formed Irish contingent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 02 Feb 2013, 01:11

Easy multiple tigers. I'm not a morning person, so sorry G.

Return to “All Around The World”