Now Traveling

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
straw mimsy

Now Traveling

Postby straw mimsy » 06 Sep 2012, 23:23

I'm headed to Germany tomorrow morning. Ryanair to London, then Leipzig. I can't wait-- even if it is Ryanair, and it's only til Monday. I'll let you know all about it.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Re: Now Traveling

Postby KeithPratt » 07 Sep 2012, 10:03

I'm going to Barcelona in just under a fortnight and from there onto Paris by train and back home by Eurostar.

I've been to Barcelona a lot (probably around 25 times) but I've never stayed a night in Paris (until now).

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 07 Sep 2012, 12:54

I went to France last week. Flew to Toulouse, drove to the Ardeche, did nothing for seven days, came back. It was delightful.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 17 Sep 2012, 18:24

So I never said much about the Saxon countryside in Germany...I will someday go into great depth why it's the best place. The reasons this time was that it was 27 degrees C, and I got to go swimming in the quarry. The corn was getting ripe enough to eat, and we could sit and look at a billion stars at once, and see the milkyway.

I just came back from London, only to be going back for the next two weekends (don't ask.)
Coming from Dublin I'm a whole lot less impressed with London, I just really can't be doing with all the Commuting!

I'm trying out the (apparently newish) "London" Southend airport...so that will make a change from stansted. Just not sure if there's any real way to get to and from it.

KeithPratt
Arsehole all Erect

Postby KeithPratt » 25 Sep 2012, 16:22

I ate lots of gorgeous food in Barcelona and went to the world's best shop, Deyrolle, in Paris.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 02 Oct 2012, 01:03

Got back on Friday nite from 3 weeks in the Daytona Beach area of Florida. Spent glorious days by myself, gardening and swimming in the pool while cat and house-sitting for my sister. She put up a bird feeder so that was interesting as well.

Went to the beach one day, which was somewhat eventful....got to watch the surfers, and ogle some bikini babes lying next to us (me and my sister's neighbour lady).....sudden storm came up and we got stuck in some soft sand (drive-on beach) til a bunch of beach boys came and pushed us out.

Coulda stayed another week.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 02 Oct 2012, 21:50

Moving to Indonesia on the 24th with the wife and our currently six week old daughter. Should be a challenge. Flying JAL front of the plane to Tokyo then on to Jakarta. Could be worse, but still 20 hours flying if all goes smoothly.
the Eagles suck.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 04 Oct 2012, 15:17

I am desperate to book a trip somewhere, but with redundancy looming fairly imminently, I'm having to stop myself.

Next city break destination when poss is probably Berlin - Tonner is v keen to go. Otherwise, my usual travelling companion friend and I will be going somewhere - hopefully - next spring; odds are on Poland. Shock, horror, etc. Maybe flying to Warsaw and then training to Krakow.
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 08 Oct 2012, 14:40

Off on a work trip to Burma on 20 October; then to Bangkok for a few days; and on to Jakarta (30 Oct - 5 Nov). Jakarta Jolly Up, Matty Red Sox?
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist
Location: from NYC done with Jakarta and Hiroshima - currently hiding in Switzerland!

Postby Matty Red Sox » 09 Oct 2012, 21:35

Thesiger wrote:Off on a work trip to Burma on 20 October; then to Bangkok for a few days; and on to Jakarta (30 Oct - 5 Nov). Jakarta Jolly Up, Matty Red Sox?

Sure. You know any place? I don't .... yet.
the Eagles suck.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 11 Oct 2012, 10:02

Matty Red Sox wrote:
Thesiger wrote:Off on a work trip to Burma on 20 October; then to Bangkok for a few days; and on to Jakarta (30 Oct - 5 Nov). Jakarta Jolly Up, Matty Red Sox?

Sure. You know any place? I don't .... yet.

No. Me neither. It'll be my first visit. PM me nearer the time if you find a place. And good luck with the move.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 12 Oct 2012, 04:13

Sounds good. I hope we have Internet around then.
the Eagles suck.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 14 Oct 2012, 08:10

Do you work in finance, Matty?

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Matty Red Sox
Shameless Canonist

Postby Matty Red Sox » 14 Oct 2012, 15:20

Loki wrote:Do you work in finance, Matty?

No. I don't work anymore, by choice. I was a teacher but before that I was in business. I've invested well and have had certain things fall my way.
I am guessing you are wondering "Why Jakarta?" My wife works for the UN and has been asked by the UN and the Indonesian government to head some sort of initiative on climate change (global warming). Apparently my wife is fairly valuable to them, because one of these two entities has decided to also pay us a chunk of my salary as well - although I'll be raising our daughter and managing the household and our staff. I am extremely conflicted about parts of this - I've never had live in help before, I don't know Jakarta, I don't speak the language, I have worked my entire life, and we are bringing our soon to be two month old with us.
At last nights JU there was discussion about this... and drunkedly I've decided that I want to have some of the staff strap some canoe paddles to a chair and carry me to the market where I will purchase Komodo dragons for my daughter to ride on...
So as you can see A. I've given this impending move a lot of thought now and B. I've got it all worked out.
the Eagles suck.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 15 Jan 2013, 17:49

Galway
My brother and I rented a car and drove over form Dublin to Galway on Saturday. It was SUCH a pleasure. How nice is it that you can go clear across a country in under 2 hours. The weather was clear and bright and beautiful, and we saw enough sheep and cows and countryside to satisfy ourselves. It was all done without a jot of planning, we got to Galway and had no idea what to do. We followed signs to Galway west (thankfully, because apparently nothing happens in Galway East)- and parked by the Cathedral, which was apparently the cheapest parking. This Cathedral was only about 50 years old, built by money from J.F.Kennedy we were told, and absolutely beautiful. We both decided it was one of the nicest cathedrals we had ever seen, despite it's newness. I've never seen anything quite like it.

We went to see the newer cathedral, but found a free lunchtime concert inside, so were less interested in the architecture than the music (which was amazing-- but I presume not there if you ever decide to go). We went to the University, and popped into a cool looking pub or two.

Finally, we went to the Prom, where there is the Mutton Pier. This was the site where a lighthouse stood which gave the last light ships leaving famine ravaged Ireland would see before reaching America. Looking out on the Horizon was quite awe inspiring.
We did the prom walk at sunset, and went to a restaurant recommended by someone called O'Grady's on the Pier (just outside Galway, in a place called Barna, I think).
My brother and i both agreed it was probably one of the best meal's we've ever had in our lives.
So yes, thoroughly recommended if you find yourself in the vicinity.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 11 Feb 2014, 13:06

Just doing some planning and preparation for my work travels this spring. So far I have visits lined up to Sri Lanka, Turkey, Jordan, Iraqi Kurdistan, Saudi Arabia and Oman.

I'm seriously looking forward to Iraqi Kurdistan, I'll have a couple of days each in Erbil and Sulimanyah. Erbil sounds like a fascinating place. The citadel of the old city is one of the oldest continuously inhabited urban centres on earth, with a history dating back over 8,000 years.

My colleague Ali is coming with me, he's from Kirkuk but he speaks Kurdish and knows the region well. I'm hoping we can get some free time to have a good look around the cities.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 15 Feb 2014, 14:11

Going to Manchester tomorrow. Can't wait.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 25 Feb 2014, 21:14

Nick wrote:I'm seriously looking forward to Iraqi Kurdistan, I'll have a couple of days each in Erbil and Sulimanyah. Erbil sounds like a fascinating place. The citadel of the old city is one of the oldest continuously inhabited urban centres on earth, with a history dating back over 8,000 years.

My colleague Ali is coming with me, he's from Kirkuk but he speaks Kurdish and knows the region well. I'm hoping we can get some free time to have a good look around the cities.

You'll need a good guidebook. Try Let's Visit Iraq by J P Docherty. It's a classic, or so I hear. :)

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 25 Feb 2014, 21:16

Off to the Dominican Republic on Sunday for a week. It's a work visit, cosying up to the Government.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 26 Feb 2014, 12:34

Thesiger wrote:You'll need a good guidebook. Try Let's Visit Iraq by J P Docherty. It's a classic, or so I hear. :)

:lol:
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Return to “All Around The World”