Now Traveling

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Insouciant Western People

Re: Now Traveling

Postby Insouciant Western People » 26 Feb 2014, 12:38

We're having a nice break in Sri Lanka, a few days holiday on the back of my work visit here last weekend. We've had a few days in Colombo, took the train up to Kandy yesterday and then a taxi up to the Hunas Falls hotel up in the hills. The scenery up there was genuinely stunning.

Came back down from the hills this morning and we're having a night at the Citadel Hotel in Kandy, and going to the Buddhist Temple of the Tooth tomorrow, then taking the train back to Colombo. Sadly flying back to the UK on Friday evening.

Happily in the meantime there is much Lion beer and Sri Lankan curry yet to be consumed :D
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 30 Apr 2014, 11:47

Thesiger wrote:
Nick wrote:I'm seriously looking forward to Iraqi Kurdistan, I'll have a couple of days each in Erbil and Sulimanyah. Erbil sounds like a fascinating place. The citadel of the old city is one of the oldest continuously inhabited urban centres on earth, with a history dating back over 8,000 years.

My colleague Ali is coming with me, he's from Kirkuk but he speaks Kurdish and knows the region well. I'm hoping we can get some free time to have a good look around the cities.

You'll need a good guidebook. Try Let's Visit Iraq by J P Docherty. It's a classic, or so I hear. :)

Flying out to Erbil on Sunday, via Istanbul. Things seem to be relatively OK in the Kurdish region at the moment, but I'm keeping a close eye on the news as things have been pretty 'lively' elsewhere in Iraq lately, with the run up to the elections taking place.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

never/ever

Postby never/ever » 30 Apr 2014, 12:12

Nice, Nick. Hope you enjoy!

My Eastern odyssey has landed me from Miami to São Paulo/Rio/Salvador De Bahia in the last few weeks and now I am lounging in th Netherlands until I am back in Australia by next week Friday.
kath wrote:i do not wanna buy the world a fucquin gotdamn coke.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 28 Jun 2014, 03:51

Last nite of a 3-week road trip to Florida. Harrisburg PA.

One day we drove down the coast to Fort Pierce to meet up with a friend from Ottawa. On the way back that evening I saw what was probably 2 wild pigs on the side of the road (I-95, the busiest stretch of highway in the US). Never seen that before! Saw a baby gator sunning on a log during a boat ride. Got pulled over in South Carolina yesterday. Thought I was done-for but he let me off with a [written] warning. Whew.

Today we stopped for gas in Virginia, and saw a guy set up by the road with flags flying and signs saying IMPEACH OBAMA. On his picture was drawn a Hitler moustache. Scary shit.

I miss the pool.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Aug 2014, 10:26

Nick wrote:
Thesiger wrote:You'll need a good guidebook. Try Let's Visit Iraq by J P Docherty. It's a classic, or so I hear. :)

:lol:

I thought he was joking. It probably needs some updates.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Aug 2014, 10:29

Just spent a glorious week in The Maldives. I want to go straight back.

Polishgirl

Postby Polishgirl » 06 Aug 2014, 10:40

trans-chigley express wrote:Just spent a glorious week in The Maldives. I want to go straight back.

Your photos are AMAZING!! I'm not normally one for beach/tropical holidays, but, oh boy!
echolalia wrote: I despise Prefab Sprout. It will be decades before “hot dog, jumping frog, Albuquerque” is surpassed as the most terrible lyric in pop history. That fucking bastard ruined all three things for me forever.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 06 Aug 2014, 11:02

Polishgirl wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Just spent a glorious week in The Maldives. I want to go straight back.

Your photos are AMAZING!! I'm not normally one for beach/tropical holidays, but, oh boy!

Me neither as a rule as I quickly get restless with them but there was something about being able to walk out of the beach hut across white sand and dive into clear turquoise waters whenever you felt like that never got boring. Throw in delicious all you can eat food 3 times a day and cold beers while watching the sunset and I was won over.

Loads of fish in the water too including reef sharks (completely harmless) and rays.
Here's one I took of the whole island while out canoeing which I didn't put up on FB.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 11 Aug 2014, 12:13

Off this week to a gite (a converted 18th Century winery) in La Redorte outside Carcassonne for a fortnight's holday with the family.
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 11 Aug 2014, 13:16

Flew into Glasgow from a few days in Dublin and drove up to the Isle of Skye for the weekend. Incredibly, the distance (as the crow flies) from Glasgow to Dublin is fewer miles than the drive.

Exquisitely beautiful up there, though weirdly reminded me of the landscape where I'm flying to at the end of the week....in South Africa.

Thesiger

Postby Thesiger » 10 Dec 2014, 11:01

all mimsy wrote:Incredibly, the distance (as the crow flies) from Glasgow to Dublin is fewer miles than the drive.

The distance between any two places on the planet is less as the crow flies than by motor vehicle, isn't it? ;)
BCB Cup - R.U. 2010: W 2012

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 10 Dec 2014, 12:42

Thesiger wrote:
all mimsy wrote:Incredibly, the distance (as the crow flies) from Glasgow to Dublin is fewer miles than the drive.

The distance between any two places on the planet is less as the crow flies than by motor vehicle, isn't it? ;)

My fault for dangling my infinitive in your faces.

I meant (of course) that the distance between Glasgow and Dublin is shorter than Glasgow to Skye, if I were a crow and didn't have to go by airport.

Belle Lettre
Éminence grise

Postby Belle Lettre » 10 Dec 2014, 19:36

What infinitive?
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

straw mimsy

Postby straw mimsy » 10 Dec 2014, 23:02

Well I was dangling something.

Now I regret every going to Skye.

Back on topic, Manchester this weekend (london last, Glasgow and Edinburgh the weekend before), Waterford and Dublin in between-- and Leipzig via Frankfurt week from tomorrow.
Phew. I was getting out of my seat at the cinema tonight, and kept trying to unbuckle my seatbelt, and trying to remember what city I had just landed in.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 17 Dec 2014, 21:04

Thesiger wrote:

Not from a spot on the road outside my house to a bit further down the road (which is straight). Arguably it is slightly further as the crow flies.

Anyway I am off to Dallas on Sunday.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Return to “All Around The World”