Christiania, Copenhagen

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Christiania, Copenhagen

Postby Penk! » 27 Jul 2012, 20:28

Visited this area yesterday. Prompted some interesting discussions.

Anyone else been there? What do you think about it?
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

John Mc

Re: Christiania, Copenhagen

Postby John Mc » 27 Jul 2012, 23:37

I have been to Copenhagen a couple of times, but didn't make it as far as Christiania...

I would quite like to have done.

(One trip was work-related, the other was to visit a Muslim friend, so it wasn't going to happen).

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks, though, as a socio-political 'experiment' that seems to have endured...
quix wrote:If you want to really live then you have to open yourself up to love... some you'll win, some you'll lose... but what is the point if being human if you don't dare?

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 28 Jul 2012, 01:39

Almost but not quite. I think they have to pay their taxes now, don't they?

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 28 Jul 2012, 04:41

The Prof wrote:Almost but not quite. I think they have to pay their taxes now, don't they?

Yes, and the house rents have been brought in line with the rest of the house market.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 28 Jul 2012, 11:19

When I visited Copenhagen in the very early 70s I asked at the youth hostel where i could score some smoke. I was told to go to Christiana but watch out for the junkies. I think I failed to score but I was not attacked by the addicts. It is interesting to see what had become of the town.

Christiana figures into the plot of the newest season of Weeds.
Question authority.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Jul 2012, 17:38

John Mc wrote:I have been to Copenhagen a couple of times, but didn't make it as far as Christiania...

I would quite like to have done.

(One trip was work-related, the other was to visit a Muslim friend, so it wasn't going to happen).

I'd be interested to hear what anyone else thinks, though, as a socio-political 'experiment' that seems to have endured...

I found it quite a depressing place. As a socio-political experiment it could be interesting and the notion of a large-scale community having been built up from scratch by society's forgotten and rejected is an appealing one.
Unfortunately the reality was that it was a load of people selling dope to tourists and kids while white guys with dreads busked reggae songs. It's disappointing that it's just become a tourist attraction, a kind of pothead zoo. If I want to see potheads sitting around I'll go visit my parents and look at people I used to go to school with, I don't need to go to Denmark to do it.
There was some alright graffiti but that was about it.
fange wrote:One of the things i really dislike in this life is people raising their voices in German.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 29 Jul 2012, 17:41

I walked down towards it once in the summer of 1991 when I was travelling and these two fellas came out and started running towards me. I legged it and they gave chase for a while. I honestly don't know what it was all about but they seemed hostile, shouting stuff in Danish. The only thing they could have objected to is that I was holding a bottle of Carlsberg.

Penk!
Midnight to Six Man

Postby Penk! » 29 Jul 2012, 18:31

CRUSTO wrote:I walked down towards it once in the summer of 1991 when I was travelling and these two fellas came out and started running towards me. I legged it and they gave chase for a while. I honestly don't know what it was all about but they seemed hostile, shouting stuff in Danish. The only thing they could have objected to is that I was holding a bottle of Carlsberg.

Don't they love the stuff there? It was on tap in every place we looked in.

There was a Danish guy at my halls of residence when I was studying and we once saw him walk into a pub and, while his mates were at the bar ordering, reach into his bag and pull out a can of Carlsberg.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 29 Jul 2012, 18:48

penk wrote:As a socio-political experiment it could be interesting and the notion of a large-scale community having been built up from scratch by society's forgotten and rejected is an appealing one.

Like the USA.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 29 Jul 2012, 19:02

penk wrote:If I want to see potheads sitting around I'll go visit my parents

:shock:

Return to “All Around The World”