Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.
User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47020
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Quaco » 20 Jul 2012, 20:14

There's very distinct differences between Britain, Great Britain, the UK, England, and a bunch of other places I can't remember. Don't you forget it!

They have really good beer, and they like buying it for you.

They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

You know they like you when they insult you.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12315
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Sneelock » 20 Jul 2012, 20:17

when they argue with you, they expect you to have reasons for your opinions and that you be able to explain them!
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67321
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2012, 20:19

Quaco wrote:There's very distinct differences between Britain, Great Britain, the UK, England, and a bunch of other places I can't remember. Don't you forget it!

They have really good beer, and they like buying it for you.

They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

You know they like you when they insult you.



You're just brilliant, Jim, honest to god.
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
Billybob Dylan
Bonehead
Posts: 31807
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:51
Location: in front of the telly

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Billybob Dylan » 20 Jul 2012, 20:20

Quaco wrote:There's very distinct differences between Britain, Great Britain, the UK, England, and a bunch of other places I can't remember. Don't you forget it!

Damn straight!

Image
"I've been reduced to thruppence!"

User avatar
Quaco
F R double E
Posts: 47020
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 19:41

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Quaco » 20 Jul 2012, 20:22

Diamond Dog wrote:
Quaco wrote:There's very distinct differences between Britain, Great Britain, the UK, England, and a bunch of other places I can't remember. Don't you forget it!

They have really good beer, and they like buying it for you.

They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

You know they like you when they insult you.



You're just brilliant, Jim, honest to god.

Assuming that #4 works in reverse ... :x
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

User avatar
Guy E
Posts: 13301
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:11
Location: Antalya, Turkey

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Guy E » 20 Jul 2012, 20:33

They don't tip.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12315
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Sneelock » 20 Jul 2012, 20:35

edit: cheap ABBA shot saved for a later date.
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 67321
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Diamond Dog » 20 Jul 2012, 20:50

Guy E wrote:They don't tip.


Here's a tip for ya............
“Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.”
"Don't be seduced into thinking that which did not make a profit is without value"
"'Seize the moments as they fly, know to live and learn to die'."

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4709
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby NMB » 20 Jul 2012, 22:31

Guy E wrote:They don't tip.


We do tip. Waiters (and waitresses) and taxi drivers. But no one else.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Zeke
Posts: 2969
Joined: 17 Mar 2006, 00:37
Location: A dead in the eyes, soulless robot

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Zeke » 20 Jul 2012, 22:41

Instead of keeping their inbred twits in trailer parks and appalachian mountain shacks they keep them in opulent palaces and estates.

User avatar
Ray K.
Posts: 5608
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 21:06
Location: Philadelphia PA

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Ray K. » 20 Jul 2012, 22:45

Their accents make young American girls' panties damp.

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 53082
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Snarfyguy » 20 Jul 2012, 22:50

Quaco wrote:They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

That is so true! :D
GoogaMooga wrote: The further away from home you go, the greater the risk of getting stuck there.

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45260
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby The Prof » 20 Jul 2012, 22:58

Motley Crue are bedwetting students obsessed with Sandie Shaw?

User avatar
Sneelock
Posts: 12315
Joined: 19 Nov 2011, 23:56
Location: Lincoln Head City

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Sneelock » 20 Jul 2012, 23:11

exactly!
Give me a C, a bouncy C!

User avatar
John aka Josh
Posts: 6793
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:26
Location: By the banks of the mighty Bourne

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby John aka Josh » 20 Jul 2012, 23:21

Snarfyguy wrote:
Quaco wrote:They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

That is so true! :D





Not for all of us.
Image

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63832
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jul 2012, 04:27

Listening to the same public radio show on the way home, I heard an ex-pat Brit describe ambition back home this way.

“In Britain you don’t get very much support,” says photographer Dawn Bowery, “People kind of feel there’s a limited amount of success. And there’s only so much to go around. Whereas here there’s a little bit more encouragement and people say, ‘Hey yeah, let’s have a go.’"

I get that feeling from Brits sometimes, from opinions expressed on here.

Growing up in a blue collar town where most of my friends' grandparents were immigrants, like mine, most of my friends, including myself were expected to rise above our parents' education levels and go to college. Our parents didn't quite know how to do that, but the message was very clear: Go to college and be more than we are.
Last edited by sloopjohnc on 21 Jul 2012, 04:47, edited 2 times in total.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Matt Wilson
Psychedelic Cowpunk
Posts: 29687
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:18
Location: Edge of a continent

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Matt Wilson » 21 Jul 2012, 04:32

John aka Josh wrote:
Snarfyguy wrote:
Quaco wrote:They inexplicably like The Smiths. They are to British culture what Motley Crue is to American culture.

That is so true! :D





Not for all of us.


I'd struggle to think of any Americans who'd own up to liking Motley Crue as well.
John Coan wrote:I've lived in many different countries in Europe and whenever I come home I think 'England is the best'

User avatar
sloopjohnc
Posts: 63832
Joined: 03 Jun 2004, 20:12

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Jul 2012, 04:50

Matt Wilson wrote:I'd struggle to think of any Americans who'd own up to liking Motley Crue as well.


Image
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

User avatar
Jimbo
Posts: 15639
Joined: 26 Dec 2009, 21:22

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby Jimbo » 21 Jul 2012, 07:42

Quaco wrote:
They have really good beer, and they like buying it for you.



Bullshit. Buying rounds is how Brits roll. If you are a not a heavy drinker or just drinking cola, tough titties, Yank or whoever, you buy everyone's drink when it is your turn. Bastards.
“It's easier to fool people than to convince them that they have been fooled.” Mark Twain

User avatar
The Prof
Composing a revolutionary symphony
Posts: 45260
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 18:32
Location: A Metropolis of Discontent

Re: Americans! what have you learned about the UK?

Postby The Prof » 21 Jul 2012, 13:10

sloopjohnc wrote:Listening to the same public radio show on the way home, I heard an ex-pat Brit describe ambition back home this way.

“In Britain you don’t get very much support,” says photographer Dawn Bowery, “People kind of feel there’s a limited amount of success. And there’s only so much to go around. Whereas here there’s a little bit more encouragement and people say, ‘Hey yeah, let’s have a go.’"

I get that feeling from Brits sometimes, from opinions expressed on here.

Growing up in a blue collar town where most of my friends' grandparents were immigrants, like mine, most of my friends, including myself were expected to rise above our parents' education levels and go to college. Our parents didn't quite know how to do that, but the message was very clear: Go to college and be more than we are.


That's true.
A lot of the time people would rather hinder you than help you.