Disneyland, etc.

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

Have you ever been to a Disneyland?

Once
23%
Twice
3%
Three times
No votes
Four times
3%
Five times
No votes
Six times
5%
Seven times
3%
Eight times
No votes
More
23%
Footy
No votes
Never
41%

Total votes: 39

Guy E

Re: Disneyland, etc.

Postby Guy E » 23 Feb 2012, 13:29

Jimbo2 wrote:Another reason I go to Disneyland is because it's good deal. First of all, I live nearby so that takes care of transportation. Then I usually go for the twilight ticket, good from 3 pm to 10 pm, when the park closes, and one ticket costs about 5000 yen, about $45. Considering I can leave home about noon, go on all the rides - when the lines are shortest - and be home by midnight, it's an inexpensive fun time out. Double that if the wife wants to come. :roll:

But Jimbo, it's for the kids.......................
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Feb 2012, 14:00

Guy E wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote:Another reason I go to Disneyland is because it's good deal. First of all, I live nearby so that takes care of transportation. Then I usually go for the twilight ticket, good from 3 pm to 10 pm, when the park closes, and one ticket costs about 5000 yen, about $45. Considering I can leave home about noon, go on all the rides - when the lines are shortest - and be home by midnight, it's an inexpensive fun time out. Double that if the wife wants to come. :roll:

That one stuck in your craw a little, huh?
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 23 Feb 2012, 15:35

sloopjohnc wrote:
Guy E wrote:

That one stuck in your craw a little, huh?

:lol: No, not at all. I thought it was funny because I know it's not true. Do you honestly think Diamond Dog would have taken the kids to Disneyland 37 times if he didn't love it himself? There are loads of adults and married couples without kids who love Disneyland and make repeat visits. Parents who don't respond to it aren't likely to spend the time and money.

New Yorkers may be a different breed though. A good friend of mine got corralled into a family Disney trip by his mother. He and his brother and their families joined their parents in a rented condo in Orlando. He was not looking forward to it. I’d heard that you can't take two steps without pulling-out your wallet for some souvenir or other so I gave him a money belt as a joke gift before they left.

His son and daughter were 10 and 12 at the time. Their cousin is a few years older and she thought Disneyland was for squares; she quickly convinced his kids that it wasn't worth the trouble. So they just hung out at the pool and relaxed in the sun for a week as a family. They were in Orlando and never made it to Disneyworld at all... the kids didn't even mention it after the first day.

I thought that was pretty bizarre.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 23 Feb 2012, 16:22

Part, or perhaps all, of Disney's genius is that they create "family entertainment". Sure you have to let the magic work on you, but for the most part anyone can watch a classic Disney film and be entertained, and anyone of any age can find quite a lot to enjoy at one of the theme parks.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Poppypoobah
Resident Hotty

Postby Poppypoobah » 23 Feb 2012, 16:29

I´ve been there many many many times as a kid and an adult and the only time I wish I hadn´t was one night with my roomate and sister at an afterhours party for the firemen of Long Beach. We snuck a bottle of whiskey in and going on the rides after drinking is not recommended!

It is and always will be the happiest place on earth for me.

wilson

Postby wilson » 23 Feb 2012, 16:35

Poppypoobah wrote:I´ve been there many many many times as a kid and an adult and the only time I wish I hadn´t was one night with my roomate and sister at an afterhours party for the firemen of Long Beach. We snuck a bottle of whiskey in and going on the rides after drinking is not recommended!

It is and always will be the happiest place on earth for me.

"Dream on" Areosmith.
Oh well, what the feck.

Sambient

Postby Sambient » 23 Feb 2012, 16:35

Hugh wrote:Didn't Plaxico get arrested at Disneyworld or something?

I am sure I remember someone telling a story about it back on Mojo.

I thought it was here. Or am I thinking of someone's standup routine? Or of Exit Through The Gift Shop?

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 23 Feb 2012, 16:38

Siren wrote:Part, or perhaps all, of Disney's genius is that they create "family entertainment". Sure you have to let the magic work on you, but for the most part anyone can watch a classic Disney film and be entertained, and anyone of any age can find quite a lot to enjoy at one of the theme parks.

That may be true... I always enjoyed the films. Animated features from other production houses could never touch the hem of the Disney garment.

I am cynical about the commerce of it. A friend with slightly older kids took the family and said his wallet was in his hand more than his pocket. If you want autographs from the silent costumed characters you have to buy official Disney autograph books, etc. He said there were long lines and the overpriced restaurants were crappy and yadda-yadda. They did it the one time, but there was never any consideration of a repeat visit.

If my wife or I enjoyed carnival rides we might have considered it. I took my daughter to waterparks a number of times... water slides are big fun as far as I'm concerned.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 23 Feb 2012, 16:43

Guy E wrote:
Siren wrote:Part, or perhaps all, of Disney's genius is that they create "family entertainment". Sure you have to let the magic work on you, but for the most part anyone can watch a classic Disney film and be entertained, and anyone of any age can find quite a lot to enjoy at one of the theme parks.

That may be true... I always enjoyed the films. Animated features from other production houses could never touch the hem of the Disney garment.

I am cynical about the commerce of it. A friend with slightly older kids took the family and said his wallet was in his hand more than his pocket. If you want autographs from the silent costumed characters you have to buy official Disney autograph books, etc. He said there were long lines and the overpriced restaurants were crappy and yadda-yadda. They did it the one time, but there was never any consideration of a repeat visit.

If my wife or I enjoyed carnival rides we might have considered it. I took my daughter to waterparks a number of times... water slides are big fun as far as I'm concerned.

Well I haven't tried it with say 10 year olds. At the moment when little dude asks for anything and we say no, he doesn't ask again - though each time we have been with him ot a Disney theme park we buy him one thing.

I would say the themed meals are actually pretty good value, but you have to book them in advance.

I'm not a big fan of big rollercoasters, but my wife is. Little dude liked meeting the characters, and the small rides, particularly the ones like Peter Pan, Pinnochio or Snow White, which sort of tell the story of the film. I like these too.

But I also like the marginal entertainment - the Barbershop Quartet singing on a four-seater bike, the sea-shanty singers etc etc. And then there's a parade and fireworks.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 23 Feb 2012, 16:51

a commercial anecdote; before we were married, my wife and I went to Disneyworld in Florida. Through a connection we had booked discounted rooms on the Disney property. Because at that stage we were rigorous abnotu sharing expenses, we agreed that I would pay for the hotel room. My wife had already given in her credit card details as aprt of checking-in, and the next day we went to reception to ask them to use my credit card instead. Here we found that unlike virtually every other hotel I have visited, Disney take the payment from your credit card when you arrive, rather than when you leave.

This is commercial genius. For the most part the hotel guest will be unaffected - they will have to pay the bill when they get the card statement. Plausibly it could appear on an earlier statement than they are expecting, but for the most part this is unlikely. From Disney's point of view, they get the price for the room 2, 3 or even I suppose 7 days before they would otherwise - and there are 10,000 rooms on the Disney property. At over $100 a night, that's a decent chunk of interest. Whoever came up with that idea earned their money.

wilson

Postby wilson » 23 Feb 2012, 16:53

Siren wrote:a commercial anecdote; before we were married, my wife and I went to Disneyworld in Florida. Through a connection we had booked discounted rooms on the Disney property. Because at that stage we were rigorous abnotu sharing expenses, we agreed that I would pay for the hotel room. My wife had already given in her credit card details as aprt of checking-in, and the next day we went to reception to ask them to use my credit card instead. Here we found that unlike virtually every other hotel I have visited, Disney take the payment from your credit card when you arrive, rather than when you leave.

This is commercial genius. For the most part the hotel guest will be unaffected - they will have to pay the bill when they get the card statement. Plausibly it could appear on an earlier statement than they are expecting, but for the most part this is unlikely. From Disney's point of view, they get the price for the room 2, 3 or even I suppose 7 days before they would otherwise - and there are 10,000 rooms on the Disney property. At over $100 a night, that's a decent chunk of interest. Whoever came up with that idea earned their money.

Proof that Disney cares Eff all about children and all about money.

Thanks.
Oh well, what the feck.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 23 Feb 2012, 16:57

wilson wrote:
Siren wrote:a commercial anecdote; before we were married, my wife and I went to Disneyworld in Florida. Through a connection we had booked discounted rooms on the Disney property. Because at that stage we were rigorous abnotu sharing expenses, we agreed that I would pay for the hotel room. My wife had already given in her credit card details as aprt of checking-in, and the next day we went to reception to ask them to use my credit card instead. Here we found that unlike virtually every other hotel I have visited, Disney take the payment from your credit card when you arrive, rather than when you leave.

Proof that Disney cares Eff all about children and all about money.

Thanks.

Hardly. The peope who suffer in this instance are the credit card companies. It is proof that they are a slick commercial operation.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 23 Feb 2012, 16:58

A lot of adults clearly embrace the magic of it and having never been I may well be underestimating the appeal. If we lived in Florida we would have gone, but spending thousands of dollars and expending a precious week of vacation days is another story. When we've been on vacations where there happen to be theme parks in the area we would always go. And we'd actively seek-out water parks... those are a blast.

Different strokes and all that. In a way, it's reassuring that so many BCB'ers embrace something as positively normal as Disneyland.

wilson

Postby wilson » 23 Feb 2012, 17:00

Guy E wrote:Different strokes and all that. In a way, it's reassuring that so many BCB'ers embrace something as positively normal as Disneyland.

Disneyland is far from normal, it's a disgrace. But you clearly know that.

I'd happily see it blown to smithereens.
Oh well, what the feck.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Feb 2012, 17:54

Guy E wrote:I am cynical about the commerce of it. A friend with slightly older kids took the family and said his wallet was in his hand more than his pocket. If you want autographs from the silent costumed characters you have to buy official Disney autograph books, etc. He said there were long lines and the overpriced restaurants were crappy and yadda-yadda.

Like I wrote, we went in November and I was really surprised how they didn't overprice the food to what was obviously a captive audience. It's amusement park high, but not exorbitantly so.

We went out to dinner the first night on Main St, or whatever it's called between California Adventure and Disneyland and it wasn't any more expensive than a regular restaurant in a tourist area of the same type.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Feb 2012, 17:56

As a sidenote, I remember reading that the amusement parks are the most profitable part of the Disney empire.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 24 Feb 2012, 11:19

sloopjohnc wrote:As a sidenote, I remember reading that the amusement parks are the most profitable part of the Disney empire.

Yes I believe this is true, although it might be partly the merchandise sales there.

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 03 Feb 2017, 18:58

I never cared about the magic of Disney or any of that wide-eyed bullshit, even as a kid. I have enjoyed some of the rides though. For example ... Space Mountain (hurtling through the darkness), Inner Space (retro science weirdness), and Tom Sawyer's Island (pretty cool to just explore an artificial island). But I am bemused by my fully grown friends who still love Disney.
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 13 Feb 2017, 19:05

Quacoan wrote:I never cared about the magic of Disney or any of that wide-eyed bullshit, even as a kid. I have enjoyed some of the rides though. For example ... Space Mountain (hurtling through the darkness), Inner Space (retro science weirdness), and Tom Sawyer's Island (pretty cool to just explore an artificial island). But I am bemused by my fully grown friends who still love Disney.

I'd have never gone if we didn't have kids. Disney is kinda like Christmas when you have kids - you kinda see the world through their eyes except when you're looking at the in-park app that shows you which rides and restaurants are the least crowded.

Nowadays, it's the Santa Cruz Boardwalk, where we just go on rides.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 14 Feb 2017, 13:03

A woman at work went with her kids recently and we had this conversation where she was going on about how great it was and how much she'd recommend it to me. I smiled and nodded but all the time I was thinking: I have no kids, I will never have any kids, why on earth would I go to fucking Disneyland?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Return to “All Around The World”