Disneyland, etc.

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

Have you ever been to a Disneyland?

Once
23%
Twice
3%
Three times
No votes
Four times
3%
Five times
No votes
Six times
5%
Seven times
3%
Eight times
No votes
More
23%
Footy
No votes
Never
41%

Total votes: 39

Sambient

Re: Disneyland, etc.

Postby Sambient » 20 Feb 2012, 16:03

The original Disneyland twice in my lifetime. Once in my early teens then again on my 30th birthday.
Disneyworld once.

I wound up visiting the two parks during the same summer. Not having originally set out to do that, but it turned out that after I'd taken my then-husband and I on an Orlando trip for his birthday June '94, he got booked for a comedy gig for several days on the west coast in August.
I enjoyed myself more at the original, though I really do want to visit Disneyworld again. And at least once in my life stay at one of the Disney resorts.

Witchypoo
Politically radical Nazgul

Postby Witchypoo » 20 Feb 2012, 17:24

Once, to the one in California. That was more than enough. Just how much fake/forced jollity is a woman meant to take?
Then Mick asked 'Would it make me a class traitor if I banged Thatcher?'

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 20 Feb 2012, 19:15

Harvey K-Tel wrote:...what was the other one, with the Jaws and the falling foam rocks? Paramount Studios?

Universal city Studios. Unlike any of the Disney properties, it's adjacent to a working studio, and the tram ride will take you past some sets and dressing rooms. And of course they have their own "rides."

Not the subject of this thread, but the only studio in L.A. that offers a real tour of a real studio, without any of the other claptrap is Warner Bros., in Burbank. (They also have one in London).
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

meetthesonics

Postby meetthesonics » 20 Feb 2012, 21:21

Five to 10 times to the one in California. Last time being 1975 or so when I was 11 or 12.
Sweet potato ya got it, apple ya ain't.

yellowjacket

Postby yellowjacket » 20 Feb 2012, 22:04

The Disney Cruise looks like it might be enjoyable. Now I just have to find a small child that wants to go!(lol)
How would you like to be remembered? Oh I don't know. I suppose if we are remembered as a great little rock and roll band it would be fine.........

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 20 Feb 2012, 22:44

Been to the one near Paris several times.

The Pirates of the Caribbean ride was the highlight but the thing I remember most was the voice announcement on the Mad Hatter's Tea Party ride = "Ladies and Gentlemen, please be careful when leaving your teacup"

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Feb 2012, 00:09

Jimbo2 wrote: Bucolic Tom Sawyer's island looked promising

When I last went to Tokyo Disneyland the highlight for my son was Tom Sawyer's Island which he must have spent 3 or 4 hours playing on. Considering that this is not a fancy, expensive-to-build ride and just a landscaped island with some relatively cheap scenery in the form of a tree house, caves and a fort, like you get in any adventure playground, it seems like the theme park equivalent of preferring to play with the packaging rather than the toy.

Muskrat
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Feb 2012, 03:57

trans-chigley express wrote:
Jimbo2 wrote: Bucolic Tom Sawyer's island looked promising

When I last went to Tokyo Disneyland the highlight for my son was Tom Sawyer's Island which he must have spent 3 or 4 hours playing on. Considering that this is not a fancy, expensive-to-build ride and just a landscaped island with some relatively cheap scenery in the form of a tree house, caves and a fort, like you get in any adventure playground, it seems like the theme park equivalent of preferring to play with the packaging rather than the toy.

Cherish those memories -- at least it's changed at the original Disneyland.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Feb 2012, 04:29

Muskrat wrote:Cherish those memories -- at least it's changed at the original Disneyland.

I hadn't realised Walt himself played such a large part in its creation. I like the idea that he wanted to create places that he himself would have loved to play in when he was a kid and I can easily understand why my own son was so captivated by it. He kept the map which looked pretty much like this old one:

Just a great place for playing tag, hide 'n' seek etc.

Hong Kong Disneyland is busy expanding (the original park was very small compared to other Disneylands) and they have plans to expand further including a lake and I told their creative team that they just had to have a Tom Sawyer Island or even a pirate themed one. Hong Kong city kids would just love it.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2012, 04:49

Just a great place for playing tag, hide 'n' seek etc.

But not for smoking a doobie.

Disney corp blew it in Tokyo. Tokyo Disneyland is 26 years old and is the most popular destination in Japan. At the start Disney's bean counters figured Tokyo would lose money and were about to drop the deal. A Tokyo realtor then offered to build it themselves and would kick back t-shirt and other Mickey image royalty monies to the US.
Question authority.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Feb 2012, 04:54

I found the Tokyo map we kept. A different layout to the California one.

What could be more fun for a kid than having this map and your own island to explore?

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Feb 2012, 04:57

Jimbo2 wrote:
Disney corp blew it in Tokyo. Tokyo Disneyland is 26 years old and is the most popular destination in Japan. At the start Disney's bean counters figured Tokyo would lose money and were about to drop the deal. A Tokyo realtor then offered to build it themselves and would kick back t-shirt and other Mickey image royalty monies to the US.

Disney had a great deal in Hong Kong which pretty much amounted to Hong Kong paying for the construction - which included a huge area of reclamation - and Disney keeping all the profits!

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2012, 04:57

NSFW!
Disney is so pure and clean it begs perverts like me to get drugged there and it also make girls want to flash their tits. http://www.flashmountain.com/spl.php
Question authority.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 21 Feb 2012, 05:09

With all the care and quality that goes into the park and rides you know what sucks at Disneyland? The food. The snacks like the churros and popcorn are fine but the restaurants are awful. And lord do they discourage you from bringing in your own food!
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Feb 2012, 05:33

Muskrat wrote:Cherish those memories -- at least it's changed at the original Disneyland.

I hadn't realised Walt himself played such a large part in its creation. I like the idea that he wanted to create places that he himself would have loved to play in when he was a kid and I can easily understand why my own son was so captivated by it.

If you have any interest in Disney, I really recommend Neal Gabler's bio on him. It's pretty big, but Disneyland consumed Disney. It kinda all emanated from the model train he had built at his house that he could sit on and engineer.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 21 Feb 2012, 10:00

I'm interested as to whether Disney's experiences as an ambulance driver (IIRC) in WW1 had any bearing on Disneyland. Much of it is stuck (set?) in the pre-war Belle Epoch era - a more innocent time.

Was Walt traumatised on the Western Front?
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 21 Feb 2012, 10:05

Deebank wrote:I'm interested as to whether Disney's experiences as an ambulance driver (IIRC) in WW1 had any bearing on Disneyland. Much of it is stuck (set?) in the pre-war Belle Epoch era - a more innocent time.

Was Walt traumatised on the Western Front?

Mauschwitz was WW2

Zong
A Chump Among Men

Postby Zong » 21 Feb 2012, 10:59

I'm intrigued to go to Disney Land.
My dad is the archetypal "Brit who looks down at anything Disneyfied or vaguely American"- yet after my parents split he went a bit crazy and kept going to California. He went to Disneyland, which surprised me....he said it was "brilliant" which absolutely stunned me. If Disney can sway him then there must be something to it.
Anyone could join in so I discarded my jeans

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Feb 2012, 11:06

The original Disneyland in Anaheim on 5 occasions. Disneyworld in Orlando (all four parks - Magic Kingdom, EPCOT, Animal Kingdom and Disney Hollywood Studios) on 6 occasions. (When did Disney MGM Studios change its name?).

I've never understood the criticism of the places - I love them.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Muskrat

Postby Muskrat » 21 Feb 2012, 17:48

My Disneyland-addict friend (see earlier post) tells me the the original park went (relatively) all to hell several years ago; maintenance issues, evidently, the result of neglect and maybe being a little taken for granted by the mucky-mucks in Burbank. It's all now back in shape, though.

The newish Disney Hawaii Resort sounds like fun, though; at least for people with families (or a high tolerance for children) and a lot of money.

The friendly bartenders are happy to help you refine your pronunciation of Hawaiian words. It's your chance to work on properly pronouncing humuhumunukunukuapuaʻa!

Return to “All Around The World”