Disneyland, etc.

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

Have you ever been to a Disneyland?

Once
23%
Twice
3%
Three times
No votes
Four times
3%
Five times
No votes
Six times
5%
Seven times
3%
Eight times
No votes
More
23%
Footy
No votes
Never
41%

Total votes: 39

the masked man
Schadenfreude

Re: Disneyland, etc.

Postby the masked man » 21 Feb 2012, 19:24

If I ever were to go to Disneyland, I'd insist on visiting the non-touristy parts....

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 21 Feb 2012, 19:42

My daughter expressed interest once when she was young and I told her we weren't a family who would spend money on a Disney vacation. If she ever asked my wife about it I'm sure she got a similar answer. She accepted this fact and never asked about it again. That doesn't usually happen with children so I guess we left no wiggle room.

I don't like amusement parks or carnival rides at all. I did take my daughter to a few smaller places when we were vacationing years ago and a single afternoon was more than my limit. A fancier, more expensive, more all-inclusive multi-day experience sounds like pure torture.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Feb 2012, 19:53

It's for the kids, Guy...............
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 21 Feb 2012, 21:10

Muskrat wrote:My Disneyland-addict friend (see earlier post) tells me the the original park went (relatively) all to hell several years ago; maintenance issues, evidently, the result of neglect and maybe being a little taken for granted by the mucky-mucks in Burbank. It's all now back in shape, though.

The newish Disney Hawaii Resort sounds like fun, though; at least for people with families (or a high tolerance for children) and a lot of money.

My wife consistenly tries to get us to go on a Disney Cruise. I'm not interested. The only thing that's keeping us from doing it is they're friggin' expensive.

I think my wife is trying to finagle we go to Florida next Thanksgiving. She doesn't like Thanksgiving and she knows the kids will be on her side.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Feb 2012, 22:03

the masked man wrote:If I ever were to go to Disneyland, I'd insist on visiting the non-touristy parts....

Done!

There's also Club 33
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 21 Feb 2012, 22:53

Diamond Dog wrote:It's for the kids, Guy...............

So is a vacation in a less-processed consumer environment... such as going camping on a lake in Maine. And while Quebec City may not be a European castle, it's a lot closer than the Disney version. I'm sure the food's a whole lot better too.

In our case if we got on an airplane we always went to visit my inlaws on the southern coast of Turkey so it really wasn't an issue. I think the kids would have chosen that over Disneyland themselves.
["Minnie the Stalker"]The first time that we met I knew I was going to make him mine.

Muskrat
World's Foremost Authority
Location: Next to the park; across the street from the college; and the freeway at my back

Postby Muskrat » 21 Feb 2012, 23:06

I was in Quebec City once, briefly c. 1977, and would love to go back -- God, it was beautiful. Of course I wasn't a kid then and am not now, so don't know what's there for them.
Things that a fella can't forget...

Lord Rother wrote: I’m with Googs.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 21 Feb 2012, 23:25

Muskrat wrote:I was in Quebec City once, briefly c. 1977, and would love to go back -- God, it was beautiful. Of course I wasn't a kid then and am not now, so don't know what's there for them.

We went there three times as a mid-trip-break during camping or cabin-on-a-lake vacations in Maine. My daughter was absolutely enchanted with Quebec City at age 5 and beyond. We loved it too and never had a disappointing meal there. They speak French and everything!

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Feb 2012, 04:03

Guy E wrote:In our case if we got on an airplane we always went to visit my inlaws on the southern coast of Turkey so it really wasn't an issue. I think the kids would have chosen that over Disneyland themselves.

If they had a Turkeyland at Disney World, my kids might want to go.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 22 Feb 2012, 04:24

sloopjohnc wrote:If they had a Turkeyland at Disney World, my kids might want to go.

Disney Sea had an erzatz Arab town with the Alladin, Sinbad, Ali Baba and flying carpet ride attractions. The "actors" wore fezzes. Fezzes are Turkish.
Question authority.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Feb 2012, 07:54

Woah there!!

I'm bemused why people feel the need to loook down their nose at Disney - and I really couldn't give a monkeys if they think it's culturally unenlightening for my kids to visit the parks.

It is what it is - if you don't want to visit, fine. But don't slate it for not being some font of enligtenment. It isn't meant to be.
Cocaine

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 22 Feb 2012, 09:19

Diamond Dog wrote:Woah there!!

I'm bemused why people feel the need to loook down their nose at Disney - and I really couldn't give a monkeys if they think it's culturally unenlightening for my kids to visit the parks.

It is what it is - if you don't want to visit, fine. But don't slate it for not being some font of enligtenment. It isn't meant to be.

Fuck it I've been there loads of times, do I look down on it? Of course I do! It's cheesy and it's fake.
But who cares it's good dumb fun.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 22 Feb 2012, 10:24

In fact, I forgot to mention we visited Disneyland Paris too. And the look of absolute wonder on the girls faces when we turned up (they were about 2 & 3 and had no idea where we were going) is something I will never forget. It is magical.
Cocaine

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 22 Feb 2012, 12:14

Guy E wrote: And while Quebec City may not be a European castle, it's a lot closer than the Disney version.

What? It is a European castle, isn't it?
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

wilson

Postby wilson » 22 Feb 2012, 12:40

Guy E wrote:They speak French and everything!

Um, going to have to take issue here.

I have been to Quebec many a time and assumed, as you do, that they speak French.

A number of years ago I went there with an authentic Frenchman, and he had to buy a book on Quebecois as he was having serious trouble with their brand of French.

France's French would agree with me, I'm afraid....

Poutain!
Oh well, what the feck.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 22 Feb 2012, 13:28

Diamond Dog wrote:Woah there!!

If you think about it, I thought Guy's remarks were pretty funny from a guy living in NYC.

I wondered how long it was before his kids stopped asking, "Daddy, where are all the police sirens?"

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Feb 2012, 13:52

Didn't Plaxico get arrested at Disneyworld or something?

I am sure I remember someone telling a story about it back on Mojo.

Guy E

Postby Guy E » 22 Feb 2012, 15:21

I'm not trying to go all snooty on the subject. The question was "Have YOU ever been to Disneyland?" so my first response was, "No, because..." I explained to our daughter at a young age that our big vacations would always be to visit grandma in Turkey and she never questioned it. She loved those trips. As Sloop suggests, we were probably looking for a vacation that was less-kinetic than our everyday city-dwelling lives too. I don't think any of her friends here in NYC ever went to Disneyland... there was no peer pressure about it.

The look of wonder on a kid's face is indeed priceless and I don't doubt that she'd have gotten a kick out of Disneyland, but camping has the same effect. We'd almost always arrive at night, she'd have fallen asleep in the car, I'd set up in the dark (occasionally in the rain), and when she woke up in the morning we'd be camping! It was like magic! Having a fire, cooking lobsters outdoors, swimming and bathing in the lake, peeing in the woods, hiking around, seeing deer (pretty common) and a moose (once), going to the general store in town for an ice cream... it was all a great experience. And debunking to Quebec City after a week of roughing-it was a nice change of pace. Great memories.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Feb 2012, 07:41

Another reason I go to Disneyland is because it's good deal. First of all, I live nearby so that takes care of transportation. Then I usually go for the twilight ticket, good from 3 pm to 10 pm, when the park closes, and one ticket costs about 5000 yen, about $45. Considering I can leave home about noon, go on all the rides - when the lines are shortest - and be home by midnight, it's an inexpensive fun time out. Double that if the wife wants to come. :roll:
Question authority.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 23 Feb 2012, 09:16

Been to Downtown Disney in Orlando once or twice. Saw a Cirque du Soleil show there, and had a drink at the House of Blues.

Went to Universal Islands of Adventure but dunno if it's affiliated with Disney.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Return to “All Around The World”