UK cities

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

x

Manchester
11%
Glasgow
17%
Bristol
10%
Sheffield
4%
Edinburgh
22%
Liverpool
15%
Birmingham
3%
Leeds
7%
Newcastle
10%

Total votes: 178

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Re: UK cities

Postby Diamond Dog » 21 Mar 2016, 20:15

Servicepwb wrote:A heads up. Theres a new TV series starting tonight on BBC2 at 7pm called Sea Cities and Plymouth is the first city to feature. It should be interesting

We popped over to Plymouth last week from South East Cornwall....visited Plymouth Hoe, which was really lovely. Obviously you Beatles fans will just know the photo I took....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Quaco
F R double E

Postby Quaco » 23 Mar 2016, 19:25

Diamond Dog wrote:
Servicepwb wrote:A heads up. Theres a new TV series starting tonight on BBC2 at 7pm called Sea Cities and Plymouth is the first city to feature. It should be interesting

We popped over to Plymouth last week from South East Cornwall....visited Plymouth Hoe, which was really lovely. Obviously you Beatles fans will just know the photo I took....

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 01 Apr 2016, 18:03

Plymouth is a great town.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 03 May 2016, 20:57

I'm going to Bristol in a few weeks, and you guys rated it 6th? :?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

naughty boy
hounds people off the board

Postby naughty boy » 04 May 2016, 00:31

It's in the South.
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 04 May 2016, 07:29

*BEYOND BEE* wrote:It's in the South.

I think you'll find its in the West.

WG Kaspar

Postby WG Kaspar » 04 May 2016, 07:32

Jumper K wrote:

What he meant was it's not the North
I run out of talent

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 04 May 2016, 15:03

Is this the English version of Lost?
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jumper K

Postby Jumper K » 05 May 2016, 20:41

WG Kaspar wrote:
Jumper K wrote:

Fuck the North!

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 09 May 2016, 01:44

Jumper K wrote:
WG Kaspar wrote:
Jumper K wrote:I think you'll find its in the West.

Fuck the North!

:x
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

jl

Postby jl » 02 Aug 2016, 18:40

Liverpool is my favourite city in the North and beats Manchester in atmosphere, architecture, pubs and everything you'd want in an English city. To its credit it seems to be more honest about the slave trade than other places as well. I'm certain that most of the derision it gets is based on historic prejudice against Irish immigrants.

Newcastle is quite handsome and has its quirks but it's very parochial. Its steep stony banks were built as a Norman fortress to subjugate the region and there's still that air of brutality. And I don't like how every Southerner who manages to make it up there turns into Jimmy Nail. My favourite place in the North East is Durham, I feel more at home there than anywhere else, I think.

jl

Postby jl » 02 Aug 2016, 18:52

I also don't like how Manchester gets to claim the industrial revolution as its own. It developed from it, it didn't create it.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 09:43

I keep hearing good things about Glasgow now - how it's culturally more 'happening' than Edinburgh, and how the rents are much lower. And it's bigger and more varied.

Dougie? Anyone?
Matt 'interesting' Wilson wrote:So I went from looking at the "I'm a Man" riff, to showing how the rave up was popular for awhile.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 15 Jul 2017, 14:33

It is significantly cheaper and musically there is more going on. Gig wise Glasgow has been better for quite some time. I wouldn't say in general that culturally it's more interesting mind but it depends what you are into. Despite my reservations Edinburgh still has the festivals. If I was 21 I might prefer Glasgow but I'm not ken

Obviously I don't know what your budgets are but you will get more bang for your buck in Glasgow definitely and even if you were working in Edinburgh it's only an hr away by train so you could commute too.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

hippopotamus

Postby hippopotamus » 15 Jul 2017, 17:00

John Onan wrote:I keep hearing good things about Glasgow now - how it's culturally more 'happening' than Edinburgh, and how the rents are much lower. And it's bigger and more varied.

Dougie? Anyone?

I can't talk too much about Edinburgh, really... I sort of thought like Dougie said, that I would end up taking the short train ride to Edinburgh for all my upper-echelon cultural needs, if I felt deprived in Glasgow. I've never felt deprived. Moving here from Dublin, which I think must be up there as one of the best cities for creative "buzz" or whatever that is that gives you new and interesting things to do and see all the time, I've felt it more than keeps up.
In fact, I'm not sure it lacks anything.

But then, how do you MEASURE culture?

I've lived here for 2 years, I keep getting surprised at things on offer. I also have to say, what I really like how it feels like it gets better all the time.
I'm honestly trying to be as objective as I can, but I really can't fault the lifestyle here.
It's cheap so that now everywhere I go is phenomenally expensive. I've never felt there's not much going on. I don't think it has that picture postcard perfect aesthetic that Edinburgh has, but it's lovely all over the place. There's always dozens of eating places i want to try, shows or gigs I want to go see... it's easy to get around. People are wonderful.
I think if given the choice again I would choose Glasgow over Edinburgh. It makes me more comfortable, somehow I feel it's more laid back and less on show. That's probably a made-up thing.
But I would choose Edinburgh or Glasgow over a lot of places.
Diamond Dog wrote:
nev gash wrote:What is point?

Indeed, what is point?

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 23:15

Thanks, friends!

These days I'm kind of obsessed with this idea of ranking and rating UK cities. Of course any attempt to do that would mostly be subjective, but still...I'd like to land somewhere where I'm going to be happy.

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 15 Jul 2017, 23:27

The Modernist wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:
Seabiscuit wrote:
How big's big?

Oxford
Cambridge
Bath
Hereford
Plymouth
Exeter
Brighton
Canterbury
Salisbury
Winchester
Penzance

:D

OK! Thanks.

Maybe I'll do a tour one of these days. Take a little camera, go from town to town, pub to pub, interviewing people. That would be great, actually. Get funding from Channel 4 in advance, put together a docu - England's Dreamers.

G, you in?

:lol: Absolutely!

We can start this September!

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 16 Jul 2017, 17:52

John Onan wrote:Thanks, friends!

These days I'm kind of obsessed with this idea of ranking and rating UK cities. Of course any attempt to do that would mostly be subjective, but still...I'd like to land somewhere where I'm going to be happy.

I know it sounds cliched as hell but life is too short to live somewhere you don't like. It really does make such a difference living in a city you love.

I think either Glasgow or Edinburgh would suit you but you might find that one can offer you a slightly better quality of life (I hate myself for even typing those words) than the other.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Hightea

Postby Hightea » 20 Jul 2017, 19:20

Edinburgh and Glasgow -screw bloody England cities :P

Actually this has more to do with I've only been to those two and London. Although I did drive thru Birmingham on the way to Wales (loved Wales). Love the UK countryside, I had a friend in The Cotswolds area. Otherwise I've only done the highlands of Scotland which I loved.

This thread reminds me we need to get back to the UK and checkout all the architecture in these cities. I've only lived in the USA for my whole life so no history. :lol:

naughty boy

Postby naughty boy » 13 Dec 2017, 09:04

Why such a high score for Glasgow? I like it but I've never found it as friendly as its reputed to be. The centre is a shithole. And it rains a lot and they're unhealthy, unsmiling pissheads.

The West End is lovely, mind.

Return to “All Around The World”