UK cities

How to get the very best from Planet Earth.

x

Manchester
11%
Glasgow
17%
Bristol
10%
Sheffield
4%
Edinburgh
22%
Liverpool
15%
Birmingham
3%
Leeds
7%
Newcastle
10%

Total votes: 178

der nister

Re: UK cities

Postby der nister » 17 Sep 2012, 21:41

Where are Belfast, Cardiff and Derry?
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

jude
Turkey Boy (and destroyer of Spam Filters)
Location: Near Bradford's surrounding areas which encompass the city of Bradford (A small village near Leeds)

Postby jude » 17 Sep 2012, 22:57

zphage wrote:Where are Belfast, Cardiff and Derry?

Betty Denim wrote:And, quite frankly, if I had been raped and you said to me 'well yeah, it's crap innit; it's like that time I had to have a turnip curry' I'd do more than insult you.

der nister

Postby der nister » 18 Sep 2012, 15:27

Thank you

Gorts Can we fix the thread title: Some English and Scottish Cities?
It's kinda depressing for a music forum to be proud of not knowing musicians.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 20 Sep 2012, 23:52

inthenextlife wrote:How the hell has Liverpool got more votes than Manchester?! Sheesh!

To a tourist I think Liverpool has far, far more appeal than Manchester. I'm not sure that Manchester has any appeal to an overseas visitor who has never heard of Coronation Street.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 21 Sep 2012, 02:23

It's our second musical city (Liverpool attracts a shitload of visitors for The Beatles, of course, but no-one else).

Fans of The Smiths, Oasis and Joy Division come from all over the place to see those rainy streets.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Sep 2012, 09:13

Sir John Coan wrote:It's our second musical city (Liverpool attracts a shitload of visitors for The Beatles, of course, but no-one else).

It's also the second most impressive City in England for architecture. Manchester has nothing to compare.

The Prof
Trading coffee in Abyssinia

Postby The Prof » 21 Sep 2012, 11:58

trans-chigley express wrote:Manchester has nothing to compare.

I haven't time now.. but I beg to differ.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 21 Sep 2012, 23:53

The Prof wrote:
trans-chigley express wrote:Manchester has nothing to compare.

I haven't time now.. but I beg to differ.

Maybe I'm being unfair to Manchester but as a regular visitor to both cities on my UK trips to see family I've never been too impressed with Manchester which I find a bit bleak and dreary. I'd be interested to see what you come up in its defence.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Sep 2012, 01:49

'Scuse the copy & paste job.

Manchester;

Birthplace of the industrial revolution, Manchester has been at the forefront of many social movements, bringing major issues to the world’s attention, rightfully claiming to be a city of firsts. So many of the ideas that continue to shape our world first found their voice in Manchester - Vegetarianism, the passenger railway station, the computer, the public lending library, the labour movement, the trade union movement, the Suffragettes, the cooperative movement and England’s professional football league were all created in Manchester.

the rest is here;

http://www.manchestercentral.co.uk/history-of-manchester

This thread has taken a Liverpool V Manchester turn... which is OK.

trans-chigley express

Postby trans-chigley express » 22 Sep 2012, 02:16

The thing is I'm well aware of the history of Manchester but that doesn't necessarily make it a good tourist destination and I have to agree with Bleep's comment on the previous page. There's a great musum of Science and Industry that I took my son to on my last visit to teach him a bit of the area's past (and play around with big engines and stuff) but the city itself is not a particularly interesting place to visit unless you're really into its history. Liverpool has both history and visual splendour, there's plenty to admire without knowing about the past.

And do fans of The Smiths, Oasis and Joy Division really come to see its rainy streets? And that's another thing, it really does live up to its reputation for lousy weather. Even when the surrounding area is bathed in glorious sunshine there always seems to be dark rain clouds hanging over the city.

The Prof wrote:
This thread has taken a Liverpool V Manchester turn... which is OK.

Which is timely for the match on Sunday when Manchester will likely gets its own back for my slagging off :)

bhoywonder
The Magnificent

Postby bhoywonder » 22 Sep 2012, 13:38

Clint Planet wrote:Bristol - Cool and funky, and no doubt less racist than the north. . Don't know it that well but I always love it when I'm there. I should go more often.

Yes, you should.

inthenextlife

Postby inthenextlife » 22 Sep 2012, 15:36

Sir John Coan wrote:Indeed.

And Scousers have less airs and graces than the Mancs.

You have got to be pulling my plonker with that massive generalisation!?
'A million men go marching on, they look at the moon but I look at the sun'.

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 22 Sep 2012, 15:40

Clint Planet wrote: And it has John Rennie Macintosh.

Charles Rennie Mackintosh's cousin?

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 22 Sep 2012, 16:10

inthenextlife wrote:
Sir John Coan wrote:Indeed.

And Scousers have less airs and graces than the Mancs.

You have got to be pulling my plonker with that massive generalisation!?

I think Andy feels the same...

Clint Planet wrote:...it is very important to Manchester to be important whereas it is very important to Liverpool to be different. Manchester is suspicious of eccentricity whereas Liverpool embraces it - it's just more carefree. Essentially, Manchester is always checking itself out in the mirror whilst Liverpool skins up in the corner and puts another Arthur Lee song on the jukey.

The Prof

Postby The Prof » 22 Sep 2012, 22:38

trans-chigley express wrote:The thing is I'm well aware of the history of Manchester but that doesn't necessarily make it a good tourist destination

Fair enough.
I was trying to put forward the case for Manchester's cultural importance but on balance I would prefer to spend more time in Liverpool

soundchaser
Rokster & Rollster

Postby soundchaser » 24 Sep 2012, 02:56

I'm from the (deep) south coast, so even Bristol is way north for me :D. My daughter went to uni in Birmingham, so I've spent a bit of time there (the Balti triangle was excellent.). Southampton is the closest city for me, but I wouldn't go there unless it was for a gig, or to take my wife shopping.

I'm not really a city boy and I'm happier to be by the beach and have the New Forest on my doorstep. If we're going to travel, it's likely to be south to Tenerife, rather than north. And if I am driving any distance, it's usually west towards Devon, or east towards London.

However, saying that, we are off up north to Liverpool in a few weeks to do the whole Beatles thing and I'm looking forward to that immensely, even if it will be just as music tourists. I plan to tour the UK one day, but I imagine it will be more of a coastal town journey, as cities generally aren't my thing...go on, call me a southern Nancy-boy: it's all true ;).

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 24 Sep 2012, 21:49

I hate Manchester. London is alright in small doses. I'm fonder of Leeds than I used to be. I like drinking in Liverpool in a pub when I can't see the outside.Once I see the outside I get depressed. Bristol and Bath are both lush. Sheffield is horrible. Birmingham is best driven through.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Insouciant Western People

Postby Insouciant Western People » 03 Jan 2013, 10:02

I've spent a lot of time in both Liverpool and Manchester over the past three years, and I now live in Manchester. For live music, it seems to me that Manchester definitely has the edge. There's a plethora of very good venues, including some cracking small ones that are full of character. And the number of gigs going on, and the breadth of bands playing, make it a very stimulating place to be. I'm seeing more live music now than at any time since my early twenties.

CatnHat and I have so many good gigs lined up for the next couple of months, but to be honest, we could easily be going to twice the number if we wanted to.
Jeff K wrote:Nick's still the man! No one has been as consistent as he has been over such a long period of time.

jim courier

Postby jim courier » 03 Jan 2013, 21:13

Not a City but anyone ever been to Skipton in Yorkshire? Really nice town.

doctorlouie
AKA Number 16 Bus Shelter

Postby doctorlouie » 04 Jan 2013, 01:22

Bleep in Heavenly Peace wrote:I think Liverpool's a better city to visit as an outsider than Manchester. The history of the city is more appealing, especially with the Beatles.

That's not to denigrate Manchester, which I think is a great place, but I think from a tourism perspective - attractions and possibly the geography with the Mersey, Birkenhead, Anglican cathedral - it is the more likeable.

No Arndale Centre in Liverpool, though.

Return to “All Around The World”