43%
b ) 14 days
57%

Total votes: 14

Charlie O.

Re: So, quality or quantity?

Postby Charlie O. » 18 Jan 2011, 21:32

And ducks!

Last edited by Charlie O. on 18 Jan 2011, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 18 Jan 2011, 21:42

And the ghosts of ducks!
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 18 Jan 2011, 22:18

In my experience 3 star hotels are perfectly good and it's not like you want to spend that much time in the hotel anyway, is it?
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 18 Jan 2011, 22:20

I don't think I've ever stayed 14 days anywhere. I'd be bored shitless.

Geoff
Abba Fan

Postby Geoff » 18 Jan 2011, 23:04

I agree with Martha & Goat Boy. Hotels are for sleeping & showering. Ten days & 3 stars will allow you more pocket cash. Finally, whatever you're considering packing as luggage, halve it.
megeoff.blogspot.ca

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 19 Jan 2011, 01:47

Depends on where you go, as to accomodation. What's considered 3-star in some countries can be pretty dire by western standards. I've heard plenty of 3-star horror stories.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2011, 09:20

This is quite interesting - fairly evenly split, with good reasons given on both sides.

Okay - a bit of background:

I'm looking to travel to either Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua or Tobago next year (April-May time). With the lady in my life. It will be the first time either of us have visited the Caribbean, but we've both wanted to for ages. I don't really want to get into details about individual islands, because this is really about the choice in the poll? I would, however, welcome advice around that part of the world - but try to keep personal preferences out of the poll decisions, if you see what I mean?

Carry on, peoploids.....
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Magilla
Otago Mago

Postby Magilla » 19 Jan 2011, 09:26

Diamond Dog wrote:I'm looking to travel to either Barbados, St Lucia, Antigua or Tobago next year (April-May time). With the lady in my life. It will be the first time either of us have visited the Caribbean

Even more reason to go for 14 days. You've waited all this time and now it's a real "do it while you can" event. You may never have the chance to go there again. Therefore, you should go for as long as you can - that being 14 days.
"U2 routinely spent a year in the studio...I have a theory: if you put four monkeys in the studio for a year with Lanois and Eno and Lillywhite, they would make a pretty good record, too."

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Jan 2011, 10:03

My tips - If you are going to the Carribbean, you might well actually spend quite a lot of time in your hotel, and frankly there's only so much to do in these islands places, so a shorter trip in a better hotel is probably the right answer.

DO NOT get an "all inclusive" (ie including drinks) deal - you will not drink anything like enough of the limited range of drinks that will be included in the package to meet the additional cost of it.

Ensure that on whichever island you go to there is a cricket match on while you are there (an international would be best of course) and go to at least half a day.

Generally though answering the question in abstract I tend to visit cities, and want to stay in the middle, so that usually entails 3 star hotels. I have stayed in some real 3 star dumps.
I kept thinking "swim as far as you can, swim as far as you can".

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2011, 10:42

Seabiscuit wrote:My tips - If you are going to the Carribbean, you might well actually spend quite a lot of time in your hotel, and frankly there's only so much to do in these islands places, so a shorter trip in a better hotel is probably the right answer.

DO NOT get an "all inclusive" (ie including drinks) deal - you will not drink anything like enough of the limited range of drinks that will be included in the package to meet the additional cost of it.

Ensure that on whichever island you go to there is a cricket match on while you are there (an international would be best of course) and go to at least half a day.

Generally though answering the question in abstract I tend to visit cities, and want to stay in the middle, so that usually entails 3 star hotels. I have stayed in some real 3 star dumps.

Yes, I'm sure the good lady would love the cricket..... :lol:

I'm intrigued by the all inclusive comments - I can see deals for 14 nights, in May, for about £1500? This includes meals and drinks. Pricing it individually, you're looking at at least £1100 for the flight & hotel - is £400 for food and drinks in two weeks really extortionate?
Cocaine

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Jan 2011, 12:33

Well obviously one might get a good deal, but the questions are:-

do you want full board, half board or b&b (if they are options). Chances are you don't want full, but maybe half.

Then you have to compare that price to the all inclusive price. However read the small print - in my experience of other countries (not caribbean) only a limited range of drinks are included - local beer, perhaps local spirits, , and the cocktail of the day or something like that - you do not get to have any cocktail you like, say, or wine, say. One place I went this worked out at an additional £30 per person a day or so, but I would never have spent £50 per day on drinks (given that on this particular trip I didn't want to get hammered every night). I would have been better of not going all inclusive and drinking long island ice teas.

But the place you choose may have a good deal - my advice really is to pay close attention - after all they are trying to make money.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2011, 13:28

My problem is I have absolutely no idea of the cost of food and drinks in the caribbean - and I really do want an idea of the budget I need to be setting myself? At least with an all inclusive, you SHOULDN'T have too many extra costs?
Cocaine

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 19 Jan 2011, 14:22

Seabiscuit wrote:DO NOT get an "all inclusive" (ie including drinks) deal - you will not drink anything like enough of the limited range of drinks that will be included in the package to meet the additional cost of it.

Another reason not to do that - why limit your meals/drinks to what is at that particular resort/hotel? Get out and try some of the indigenous cuisine at local spots. The wife and I went to Cozumel years ago, and avoided the all-inclusive deals. Some of the most delicious and memorable meals of my life were there, including some in small shacks where English was not spoken and ordering was a bit of an adventure. I would not have had the same experience eating off of the same three or four menus (or however many the hotel has) during the stay.

Limpin' Jez McKenzie
Poptastic

Postby Limpin' Jez McKenzie » 19 Jan 2011, 15:48

Diamond Dog wrote:My problem is I have absolutely no idea of the cost of food and drinks in the caribbean - and I really do want an idea of the budget I need to be setting myself? At least with an all inclusive, you SHOULDN'T have too many extra costs?

Sure, and it depends what you want to do. If one is happy eating and drinking in the hotel, brilliant, and it may be cheaper - likely to be the case as I understand Caribbean islands can seem expensive for food and drink. But if one want to go drinking in local bars or the beach club featured in Live and Let Die or whatever, then you have to not mind paying twice - which would be fine if it isn't very much.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 19 Jan 2011, 15:58

Seabiscuit wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:My problem is I have absolutely no idea of the cost of food and drinks in the caribbean - and I really do want an idea of the budget I need to be setting myself? At least with an all inclusive, you SHOULDN'T have too many extra costs?

Sure, and it depends what you want to do. If one is happy eating and drinking in the hotel, brilliant, and it may be cheaper - likely to be the case as I understand Caribbean islands can seem expensive for food and drink. But if one want to go drinking in local bars or the beach club featured in Live and Let Die or whatever, then you have to not mind paying twice - which would be fine if it isn't very much.

And a lot of this will vary mightily depending upon which island/nation you visit.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 19 Jan 2011, 22:47

Okay - what are the pros and cons of these four:

Barbados
Antigua
St Lucia
Tobago

?
Cocaine

Velvis
Mellowed down easy

Postby Velvis » 19 Jan 2011, 22:48

A ten day vacation of any type would be enough to make any American feel spoiled rotten.
a gibbon running freely

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 19 Jan 2011, 22:58

Stay 10 days in a nicer place.

Like some folks here, I go a little stir crazy so 10 days is a lot anyway.

Also, less nice places tend to be more cramped and claustrophobic.

It's usually the family anyway so we spend most nights back at wherever we're staying for the night. Just another room with a TV that's not blaring Cartoon Network helps.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 20 Jan 2011, 04:26

Do travel agents still exist, now that everyone books their own online? If they do, I would consider consulting one to answer your questions.

Another reason not to do that - why limit your meals/drinks to what is at that particular resort/hotel? Get out and try some of the indigenous cuisine at local spots.

Soaking up local colour is a great idea, but not always advisable. Again, it depends on where you go. Some islands strongly recommend not venturing off the compound, for safety reasons. I think alot of resorts are quite large, and have all sorts of activities - jet-skiing, para-saling, boat tours, swimming with the dolphins, etc. etc., so there's plenty to occupy your time, if you so desire.

Re: all-inclusive, I was always under the impression that it IS a good deal, but I likely heard that from piss-tank Canucks who can drink their weight in beer every day. And like Martha said, the food could be dubious. I would say it's advisable to get a recommendation from someone who's been to a certain place and loved it. Without a rec, it's kinda like hiring a contractor you don't know to fix your house. More often than not, that's a bad experience.

My only experience with all-inclusive wasn't great. A friend won a trip for 2 to Mexico but didn't want to go, so we bought it off her. There was no beach, lots of screaming kids, and the food was very mediocre.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 20 Jan 2011, 15:16

Loki wrote:

Do travel agents still exist, now that everyone books their own online? If they do, I would consider consulting one to answer your questions.

Another reason not to do that - why limit your meals/drinks to what is at that particular resort/hotel? Get out and try some of the indigenous cuisine at local spots.

Soaking up local colour is a great idea, but not always advisable. Again, it depends on where you go. Some islands strongly recommend not venturing off the compound, for safety reasons. I think alot of resorts are quite large, and have all sorts of activities - jet-skiing, para-saling, boat tours, swimming with the dolphins, etc. etc., so there's plenty to occupy your time, if you so desire.

The best thing to do is to to go to a large bookstore, and park yourself in the travel section for a bit. There are a ton of books about traveling in the Caribbean, which will be able to provide you with a general idea of off-resort costs at restaurants/bars, the safety throughout the island, the beaches and attractions on that island, and the overall experience at particular resorts. Buy one or two books that cater to your tastes and discuss the island you're going to go to - that served us extremely well on our trip.

Return to “Nextdoorland”