13%
1990s
No votes

Total votes: 23

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Greatest decade for pop culture

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jan 2011, 11:15

1950s - best comics, best movies, best fiction, best design, best cars, second best music.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Bungo the Mungo

Re: Greatest decade for pop culture

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jan 2011, 11:34

Yep.

We sometimes need reminding.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jan 2011, 11:39

Dangerous Ian Bond wrote:Yep.

We sometimes need reminding.

It's a decade we never finish with, so much to study and enjoy in pop culture.
"When the desert comes, people will be sad; just as Cannery Row was sad when all the pilchards were caught and canned and eaten." - John Steinbeck

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 12 Jan 2011, 11:44

Altho' the 60s were better :lol:

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jan 2011, 11:56

Not quite sure what we're voting for here. If it's confined to popular culture thern the 1890's aren't going to be in with much of a chance!, but if it is culture more generally, encompassing literature and art, then the 1890's was a great decade.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 12 Jan 2011, 12:14

Archbishop G! wrote:Not quite sure what we're voting for here. If it's confined to popular culture thern the 1890's aren't going to be in with much of a chance!, but if it is culture more generally, encompassing literature and art, then the 1890's was a great decade.

I was thinking pop culture incl. cult fiction and genre fiction. I start with the 1890s because they saw the birth of comics and movies, but I can't imagine anyone voting for that decade, unless they were interested in literature and art.

Goat Boy
Bogarting the joint

Postby Goat Boy » 12 Jan 2011, 12:28

Pop culture didn't exist back then though, did it? Culture was merely for the elite, not the masses.

I'd pick the 60's, predictably.
Griff wrote:The notion that Jeremy Corbyn, a lifelong vocal proponent of antisemitism, would stand in front of an antisemitic mural and commend it is utterly preposterous.

Copehead wrote:a right wing cretin like Berger....bleating about racism

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 12 Jan 2011, 13:02

I went for the 70's which was a bit of a compromise.

I'd rate them as follows:

design - 20's as the streamline art deco US is my favourite, I also like the graphic art of the fifties, and the sixties would win for clothes.
film - 70's, 50's, 40's in that order
music- 60's followed by 70's.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 13 Jan 2011, 08:26

The 60s, man. I thought that was your favourite too, Googa.

whodathunkit wrote: Somewhere it's always 1972.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 13 Jan 2011, 10:05

The 60s are winning, unsurprisingly. I wonder how 'objective' our judgements are, and how closely they're tied up with our ages/generation/nostalgia.

Do kids today even talk about the 60s? It seems the 80s are as far back as they go, and even then it's only to giggle at the cheese.

GoogaMooga
custodian of oldies

Postby GoogaMooga » 13 Jan 2011, 10:06

The sixties would be my second fave overall.

Nolamike

Postby Nolamike » 13 Jan 2011, 15:36

I decided to be different, and went with the '20s.

First, you had a ton of interesting music - you had the earliest jazz recordings (and the rise of folks like Armstrong and Ellington), a ton of blues starting to get recorded (much of which is odd and unconventional, failing to follow any set number of bars), great modernist classical recordings, the early "pop" songwriters like the Gershwins, Porters, etc...

Next, the '20s were one of the great decades for film, before Hollywood instituted those bastardly codes, and with a bunch of people willing to take risks as the form was still in its infancy.

There was tons of great literature and a load of great visual art being made at the time as well.

And, as mentioned above, the design world was in top form.
Sir John Coan wrote:Nolamike is speaking nothing but sense here.

Loki wrote:Mike is Hookfinger's shill.

a a milne

Postby a a milne » 15 Jan 2011, 10:44

the sixties-no contest in my view

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 15 Jan 2011, 11:01

The Science Eel wrote:
Do kids today even talk about the 60s? It seems the 80s are as far back as they go, and even then it's only to giggle at the cheese.

When I taught Media Studies this sort of thing would crop up all time when we had to look at older clips of things. Their knowledge of decades is frankly terrible -they'd say things like "hippies -was that the fifties?" and you'd say "No, the fifties was Elvis and rock n' roll" "I thought that was the seventies?". I remember once getting into an argument with a lippy asian kid who insisted The Beatles were an eighties band and he wouldn't back down.
It's all a mish-mash to them.

Bungo the Mungo

Postby Bungo the Mungo » 15 Jan 2011, 11:12

Archbishop G! wrote:
The Science Eel wrote:

When I taught Media Studies this sort of thing would crop up all time when we had to look at older clips of things. Their knowledge of decades is frankly terrible -they'd say things like "hippies -was that the fifties?" and you'd say "No, the fifties was Elvis and rock n' roll" "I thought that was the seventies?". I remember once getting into an argument with a lippy asian kid who insisted The Beatles were an eighties band and he wouldn't back down.

Yes - I've found that in my teaching too - young Americans, even, think punk began in the nineties, or that The Beatles were big in the fifties.

It pissed me off but it's probably not fair to expect any kind of awareness - or is it? We feel it's 'wrong' when young people can't name the President of the US - is that really worse? it's definitely less relevant to them!

Leg of lamb
Jane Austen enthusiast

Postby Leg of lamb » 15 Jan 2011, 11:20

I don't think pop culture really comes of age until the 50s, even if plenty of culture we'd term 'popular' (jazz, Hollywood, art deco) was made before. It needed that consumer kick of teenagers and rock 'n' roll to really become something worthy of differentiation from culture in general.

And I'd be tempted to go for the 50s too. It must have been insane to be alive when all of that stuff was fomenting. The 60s were an apex, true, but I'll plump for the excitement of the initial blast.

Actually, I'd be tempted to make the following distinction:

55-65: best decade for pop culture by far - all of the brilliant, important rock 'n' roll; some fab films (even if by lopping off the first half of the 50s you miss out on a lot of great Hollywood, arguably the best, and the beginning of the 60s are largely rot for American movies); Beatlemania (the trump)

65-75: best decade for alternative culture - the emergence of rock and psychedelia; New Hollywood...

As you can see, I'm basing this largely on a film and music POV. I don't know much about fashion and design, and if we're talking about literature, well, then I think the 50s and 60s both get their arses handed to them very handily by the 20s-40s. True, I don't really read genre fiction - but I wouldn't say that the likes of Waugh, Orwell and Lawrence were particularly highbrow. Perhaps with the exception of the high modernism of 1922, the novel has always been a popular medium - at least until the last decade or so and the rise of 'literary fiction' [spit].
Brother Spoon wrote:I would probably enjoy this record more if it came to me in a brown paper bag filled with manure, instead of this richly illustrated disgrace to my eyes.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 16 Jan 2011, 00:53

The Science Eel wrote:
Archbishop G! wrote:
The Science Eel wrote:

Yes - I've found that in my teaching too - young Americans, even, think punk began in the nineties, or that The Beatles were big in the fifties.

It pissed me off but it's probably not fair to expect any kind of awareness - or is it? We feel it's 'wrong' when young people can't name the President of the US - is that really worse? it's definitely less relevant to them!

I was about to comment on the woeful inadequacies of the American educational system, but in all fairness, when I was a kid, I probably had difficulty differentiating between say the 30s and 40s. Could that be becuz back then progress moved slower than it has in the last few decades? Dunno.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 16 Jan 2011, 03:43

I might pick the '20s or '30s for jazz and movies. Even lit and art was pretty hot at the time.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

The Modernist

Postby The Modernist » 16 Jan 2011, 12:42

Loki wrote:I was about to comment on the woeful inadequacies of the American educational system, but in all fairness, when I was a kid, I probably had difficulty differentiating between say the 30s and 40s. Could that be becuz back then progress moved slower than it has in the last few decades? Dunno.

One reason is that it was pre-youth culture and fashion didn't change in the way it did in the post-war years. So a photo of someone from 1932 could just as easily have come from 1943. That really changed from the fifties onwards when each decade had clear visual delineators in the way people looked. Funnily enough we seem to have returned to the pre-war stage as people don't really look any different now in their dress and hairstyles to ten years ago. If in thirty years time there was a fancy dress party where the theme was to dress up like the 2000's, what would people wear? Difficult to say.

Loki
The Goddess of Mischief

Postby Loki » 17 Jan 2011, 02:19

Yep, exactly.

The 90s - other than the grunge plaid and 70s resurgence - was a fairly 'neutral' decade. The most disctinctive do seem to be the 50s, 60s, 70s and 80s.