Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Flower
Posts: 9123
Joined: 05 Mar 2009, 22:22
Location: Unlisted

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Flower » 24 Jan 2021, 21:52

This is cool ...

How to Celebrate Mardi Gras During Covid: Turn Your House Into a Parade Float

In New Orleans, traditional parades are canceled this year, so people are creating ‘house floats’ and throwing beads at their neighbors; ‘I’ve always wished for a locals’ Mardi Gras’

https://www.wsj.com/articles/how-to-cel ... 1611343321
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42367
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 26 Jan 2021, 07:51

Ice cubes apparently don't melt when you microwave them - at least, not any faster than they would otherwise.

https://www.thekitchn.com/rice-microwave-ice-cube-trick-23128601
Image

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2721
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jan 2021, 09:14

Charlie O. wrote:Ice cubes apparently don't melt when you microwave them - at least, not any faster than they would otherwise.

https://www.thekitchn.com/rice-microwave-ice-cube-trick-23128601


I don't get it. How does the rice steam if it's not getting any water from the ice cube? Sublimation?
What is the point of the ice cube if nothing happens to it?

I want answers Mr O!
Bugger off.

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6962
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby jimboo » 26 Jan 2021, 10:34

Samoan wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:Frogs live in the Alps. They hibernate during winter and then in Spring they jump down the mountain snow to melted ponds where they partake in a huge orgy!

There was such a shortfall in female frogs one year over here, the males were trying to cop off with the toes of those green Hunter wellington boots that their owners had left outdoors

Image


Ach , we've all done it.
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14653
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rayge » 26 Jan 2021, 12:39

Rorschach wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:Ice cubes apparently don't melt when you microwave them - at least, not any faster than they would otherwise.

https://www.thekitchn.com/rice-microwave-ice-cube-trick-23128601


I don't get it. How does the rice steam if it's not getting any water from the ice cube? Sublimation?
What is the point of the ice cube if nothing happens to it?

I want answers Mr O!


Mr O is currently unavailable - will I do?

I think the answer is that the microwave lifts the temperature so quickly that the ice does not melt so much as vaporize, ie turn into water vapour, which is water droplets suspended in steam, and then into steam itself.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2721
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 26 Jan 2021, 13:16

Rayge wrote:
Mr O is currently unavailable - will I do?

I think the answer is that the microwave lifts the temperature so quickly that the ice does not melt so much as vaporise, ie turn into water vapour, which is water droplets suspended in steam, and then into steam itself.


Of course you'll do, Ray!

If the ice turns directly into vapour then that is sublimation, as I'd suggested. I'm surprised that can happen in a domestic microwave but I'm no physicist.
It also means that the ice cube will shrink and the explanation given in the article is tosh.

I think I'll have to investigate further...
Bugger off.

User avatar
Rayge
Posts: 14653
Joined: 14 Aug 2013, 11:37
Location: Zummerzet
Contact:

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rayge » 26 Jan 2021, 18:11

Rorschach wrote:
Rayge wrote:
Mr O is currently unavailable - will I do?

I think the answer is that the microwave lifts the temperature so quickly that the ice does not melt so much as vaporise, ie turn into water vapour, which is water droplets suspended in steam, and then into steam itself.


Of course you'll do, Ray!

If the ice turns directly into vapour then that is sublimation, as I'd suggested. I'm surprised that can happen in a domestic microwave but I'm no physicist.
It also means that the ice cube will shrink and the explanation given in the article is tosh.

I think I'll have to investigate further...

Do let me know what you find out...
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69202
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 26 Jan 2021, 19:18

That there is a word suspire that means either to sigh or utter with a sigh...to yearn....or to breathe.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2721
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 27 Jan 2021, 07:43

Rayge wrote:Do let me know what you find out...


I will, but these things are so complicated. For example, people can't seem to even agree on the differences between steam and water vapour.

My brother knows his physics and I should ask him. However, he's not good at explaining to non-physicsts and is always rude to me for not getting it first time. So he can fuck off.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 69202
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 27 Jan 2021, 11:29

Rorschach wrote:
Rayge wrote:Do let me know what you find out...


I will, but these things are so complicated. For example, people can't seem to even agree on the differences between steam and water vapour.

My brother knows his physics and I should ask him. However, he's not good at explaining to non-physicsts and is always rude to me for not getting it first time. So he can fuck off.


It certainly sounds like he needs to sharpen up his inter-social skills, I agree.
I have put the ignorant, inflammatory bore on ignore.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42367
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Feb 2021, 01:13

Poison ivy is a member of the cashew and pistachio family (Anacardiaceae).
Image

User avatar
jimboo
Posts: 6962
Joined: 29 Dec 2005, 17:43
Location: taking a foxy kind of stand

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby jimboo » 02 Feb 2021, 06:56

Were they in the Cramps as well?
If I jerk- the handle jerk- the handle you'll thrill me and thrill me

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42367
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 02 Feb 2021, 07:08

No, but they're frequently mistaken for these guys:


Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32075
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Feb 2021, 20:26

There’s not a single word that rhymes with ‘wasp’
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42367
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Feb 2021, 20:29

Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s not a single word that rhymes with ‘wasp’

If you're trying to work it into a poem, you could break up the word "hospital"...
Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 32075
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 03 Feb 2021, 20:38

Charlie O. wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s not a single word that rhymes with ‘wasp’

If you're trying to work it into a poem...


:o
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Rorschach
Posts: 2721
Joined: 02 Jun 2008, 12:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Rorschach » 03 Feb 2021, 21:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s not a single word that rhymes with ‘wasp’


I know what that wasp'll do
He'll sing some rock, and some gospel too.
Bugger off.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42367
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 03 Feb 2021, 21:09

:lol:
Image

Hugh
Posts: 15920
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Hugh » 04 Feb 2021, 14:04

Rorschach wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:There’s not a single word that rhymes with ‘wasp’


I know what that wasp'll do
He'll sing some rock, and some gospel too.


If you get stung by that wasp it'll
Result in a trip to the hospital

Hugh
Posts: 15920
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:43

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Hugh » 04 Feb 2021, 14:05

Madness keyboard player, Mike Garson was born in Edinburgh.