Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 21 Dec 2020, 18:16

Oh god me too.
A pal sent me that this morning and said it had made her cry and it made me cry too. Maybe it’s just the way the year is going but it took my knees out from under me!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 21 Dec 2020, 18:40

That takes a special brain to design that. Beautiful.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Charlie O.
Posts: 42194
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:53
Location: In-A-Badda-La-Wadda, bay-beh

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Charlie O. » 23 Dec 2020, 19:17

Jess and Eliza Birdwell, the Quaker couple at the center of the 1956 Gary Cooper vehicle Friendly Persuasion, were based on real life couple Joshua and Elizabeth Milhous, whose great-granddaughter Jessamyn West wrote the book on which the film was (loosely) based. Another of the Milhous' great-grandchildren was West's second cousin, Richard Milhous Nixon.

(Interesting - or not - side note: Michael Wilson, the film's original screenwriter, was uncredited in its original release due to his having been blacklisted since completing the script, a victim of the anti-Communist hysteria that young Dick Nixon had done so much to foment.)
Image

User avatar
Corporate whore
Genuine and Authorised Pope
Posts: 16267
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 16:36
Location: ,Location, Location

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Corporate whore » 27 Dec 2020, 15:35

The fear of palindromes is aibohphobia.
Image

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 27 Dec 2020, 17:13

There's a guy called Glen Cooney who has Tourette Syndrome who has started a cooking channel on Instagram (and some other platforms I think) with his family. This is a fairly tame one, but what he does is try an awareness of the condition by doing some shows on medication and others without. His entire family join in and they obviously are a very tight family unit who have used laughter as a great bonding tool.

You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 29 Dec 2020, 17:09

2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 15:49

Fanny and Alexander is absolutely INCREDIBLE!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 17:03

Minnie the Minx wrote:2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.


I am happy to mail you crumpets if you like. I’m going to the store that sells them locally and will get back to you about the brand. I bought them once years ago but I’m no expert.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:04

Six String wrote:
Minnie the Minx wrote:2 crumpets are 19 dollars on Amazon. That’s nearly ten dollars a crumpet.


I am happy to mail you crumpets if you like. I’m going to the store that sells them locally and will get back to you about the brand. I bought them once years ago but I’m no expert.


Oh my god! Are you serious? You live near somewhere that sells crumpets?
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:05

This is what would be known as a ‘game changer’!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 17:15

Glad to help. I’ll report back soon. They have Hobnobs and McVitties too!
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 17:17

Crumpets I have never seen here, never. We can get nearly everything else!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 19:04

Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 20:21

Six String wrote:Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.


Good god man yes! Please send some!!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

User avatar
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector
Posts: 31903
Joined: 29 Dec 2006, 16:00
Location: In the naughty North and in the sexy South

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 30 Dec 2020, 20:35

Someone was just telling me about the astronaut love triangle during which one astronaut put on a diaper and drove the length of the country to kill her love rival, shitting in her pants the way!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?


Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 30 Dec 2020, 20:44

Minnie the Minx wrote:
Six String wrote:Ok, these are Butler’s Pantry Crumpets, fat free and sugar free. They are made in Hayward, CA (SF Bay Area) so not British. If you want them or want more than one pack let me know. I am going to the post office Monday or Tuesday anyway so I could ship them soon. Alas they are not Duffy’s. If these aren’t to your liking I am happy to keep them and eat them as I haven’t had any others to compare.


Good god man yes! Please send some!!


Ok, will do. BTW, thanks for the XMAS card. 8-)
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Jimbly
Posts: 21433
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Jimbly » 30 Dec 2020, 22:21

Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

Six String
Posts: 21396
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 31 Dec 2020, 00:06

Jimbly wrote:Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.

And a much better version as well. Patron makes their own orange flavored bev and it is very swallowable. :lol: This is when I tend to make margaritas at home as the Mexican limes in the yard ripen in November so they’re literally falling off the tree at this point.
This is not the year to think about what we don’t have.
It is the year we should be grateful for what we do have.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 17068
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Neige » 31 Dec 2020, 17:31

Just read this article about Brexit Day 1

https://www.politics.co.uk/blogs/2020/12/10/everything-you-need-to-know-about-day-one-of-brexit/

I really feel for you, my poor British brethren... :(
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
Dr. Baron
Diamond Geezer
Posts: 44345
Joined: 18 Jul 2003, 05:38
Location: Impregnable Citadel of Technicality

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Dr. Baron » 31 Dec 2020, 18:00

Six String wrote:
Jimbly wrote:Went to Tesco's today to buy some Triple Sec to make Margaritas. Couldn't find any so asked one the guys packing shelves. Took me to a shelf and handed me a bottle of Cointreau. I had no clue that they were basically the same thing.

And a much better version as well. Patron makes their own orange flavored bev and it is very swallowable. :lol: This is when I tend to make margaritas at home as the Mexican limes in the yard ripen in November so they’re literally falling off the tree at this point.


Yeah, I think Cointreau is preferable, though it's kind of a wild beast and needs a little simple syrup to even it out.
Two tequilas, one cointreau, one lime juice, a little sugar to balance it out to your tastes, and you're doing well for yourself. I avoid them in wintertime, myself. but I don't have a damn lime tree in my yard!
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?
take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.
GoogaMooga wrote:It's a film I have waited 39 years to see. Now I have the chance, but I may just crap out.