Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Six String

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 28 Aug 2020, 22:19

Make-up for your tongue! Mine’s been looking a bit pale lately. :)

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Sep 2020, 12:13

That the Dutch band Golden Earring started off as Golden Earrings [first four albums]

kath wrote:(she squints, focusing all her concentration...)

inn dooooob ittt ableeee.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Sep 2020, 17:49

THE Golden Earrings!

C
Robust

Postby C » 01 Sep 2020, 22:07

Charlie O. wrote:THE Golden Earrings!

Incorrect Chas - I think only the debut was with the determiner 'THE'......

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 01 Sep 2020, 23:05

Ahem. YOU said they
C wrote:started off as Golden Earrings

- you would-be pedant!

:P

Sam Stone

Postby Sam Stone » 02 Sep 2020, 09:51

C wrote:That the Dutch band Golden Earring started off as Golden Earrings [first four albums]

Given that the 's' has gone AWOL, perhaps they should call their next outtakes collection "Down the Back of the Sofa"

C
Robust

Postby C » 02 Sep 2020, 13:59

Sam Stone wrote:
C wrote:That the Dutch band Golden Earring started off as Golden Earrings [first four albums]

Given that the 's' has gone AWOL, perhaps they should call their next outtakes collection "Down the Back of the Sofa"

:lol:

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 02 Sep 2020, 20:05

David Howel ‘The Edge’ Evans is a welsh speaker who was born in Llanelli.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Six String

Postby Six String » 03 Sep 2020, 22:31

Martin Luther King Sr.’s first name was Michael but changed it and his son’s name to Martin.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 04 Sep 2020, 13:45

Deebank wrote:David Howel ‘The Edge’ Evans is a welsh speaker who was born in Llanelli.

Which reminds me that I recently learnt that Bono's nickname came from "Bonavox" which is latin for "good voice". :lol:
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Deebank
Resonator

Postby Deebank » 04 Sep 2020, 15:02

Geezee wrote:
Deebank wrote:David Howel ‘The Edge’ Evans is a welsh speaker who was born in Llanelli.

Which reminds me that I recently learnt that Bono's nickname came from "Bonavox" which is latin for "good voice". :lol:

In Welsh The Edge would be called Y Clawdd....

Actually that means The Hedge but it's as close as I can manage with my limited command of the language.
I've been talking about writing a book - 25 years of TEFL - for a few years now. I've got it in me.

Paid anghofio fod dy galon yn y chwyldro

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Sep 2020, 16:27

Last night I watched a documentary on the various dances of the birds of New Guinea. I was knocked out by one of the Bowerbirds, that spent years building nests that they then decorate with dried tree sap. A little like when decorating a Christmas tree, they step back, look at the nest as a whole, and then take off anything that they think is "too much." This was great enough, but then there was a scene where a small boar or pig trotted up and tried to disrupt the nest. The bowerbird flew into the tree and began to make pig noises to alarm the animal, and when that didn't work started BARKING like a dog to frighten it which worked! I was beside myself watching this. How extraordinary. Then, when trying to attract a mate, it did this...well, I'll post it here because it can't be described in a way that captures how sensational it all is.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eg0iSIHIK34
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 04 Sep 2020, 18:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:Last night I watched a documentary on the various dances of the birds of New Guinea. I was knocked out by one of the Bowerbirds, that spent years building nests that they then decorate with dried tree sap. A little like when decorating a Christmas tree, they step back, look at the nest as a whole, and then take off anything that they think is "too much." This was great enough, but then there was a scene where a small boar or pig trotted up and tried to disrupt the nest. The bowerbird flew into the tree and began to make pig noises to alarm the animal, and when that didn't work started BARKING like a dog to frighten it which worked! I was beside myself watching this. How extraordinary. Then, when trying to attract a mate, it did this...well, I'll post it here because it can't be described in a way that captures how sensational it all is.

That's wonderful! Are they any relation to lyrebirds?

Six String

Postby Six String » 04 Sep 2020, 19:47

Minnie the Minx wrote:Last night I watched a documentary on the various dances of the birds of New Guinea. I was knocked out by one of the Bowerbirds, that spent years building nests that they then decorate with dried tree sap. A little like when decorating a Christmas tree, they step back, look at the nest as a whole, and then take off anything that they think is "too much." This was great enough, but then there was a scene where a small boar or pig trotted up and tried to disrupt the nest. The bowerbird flew into the tree and began to make pig noises to alarm the animal, and when that didn't work started BARKING like a dog to frighten it which worked! I was beside myself watching this. How extraordinary. Then, when trying to attract a mate, it did this...well, I'll post it here because it can't be described in a way that captures how sensational it all is.

It’s hard to believe even with my own ears. Crazy.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 04 Sep 2020, 19:59

I know. Truly incredible. Must have watched it a dozen times. If you have Netflix the whole programme is well worth watching.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 10 Sep 2020, 01:27

My good wife is trying to learn me not to spit my toothpaste and saliva into the sink when brushing but to let it dribble out. Minus the force of the spit prevents splashing onto the counter top and on the mirror. Take that bowerbirds!
kath wrote: *which is the real reason he can fucque off and rot for the rest of time.

Jimbo wrote: So Kath, put on your puka love beads ... Then go fuque yourself.

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Sep 2020, 16:35

Georgia O Keeffe’s mother died when her landlady stood on the doorstep and demanded that she get out of her TB sickbed, where she had been lying for weeks, to pay rent (that she didn’t have.)
In front of her kids, who had been begging with the landlady to give them a bit more time, Mrs. O’Keeffe staggered downstairs, had a pulmonary hemorrhage and died just before she got to the door.
I wish I hadn’t learnt this really because it made me miserable thinking about it, and now you have read it and you might get miserable too!

Dr Markus wrote:

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 11 Sep 2020, 17:07

Minnie the Minx wrote:Georgia O Keeffe’s mother died when her landlady stood on the doorstep and demanded that she get out of her TB sickbed, where she had been lying for weeks, to pay rent (that she didn’t have.)
In front of her kids, who had been begging with the landlady to give them a bit more time, Mrs. O’Keeffe staggered downstairs, had a pulmonary hemorrhage and died just before she got to the door.
I wish I hadn’t learnt this really because it made me miserable thinking about it, and now you have read it and you might get miserable too!

God there really is nothing like a halfway decent landlord/lady is there? Every person I've come across in that profession has been a terrible human being.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Sep 2020, 18:43

Well, I'll say that when I rented from the ages of 16-30 I had many, many landlords and hated all of them, even the ones I never met. I had no reason at all to hate them, but I did. I hated the people who rented to me when I was nearly 30 way less than the people who I rented from when I was 16, but that had more to do with getting on in years and calming down a bit.
The landlords who rented to me when I was 16 had reason to hate me, actually. Setting fires to their kitchens when drunk, throwing teabags at ceilings to watch them stick, breaking furniture, doing midnight flits. Me and my housemates were appalling. We shouldn't have been trusted to live in a kennel.

Then I became a homeowner and now, I rent out my house in the UK to tenants and it is a never ending money pit, with constant gripes despite the fact that I have been charging the same rent since 2012 and I bow to their every whim. Every year I make a loss on the house and every year I learn that the bannisters are painted a colour their child finds upsetting, stuff like that. So that, coupled with my experience of being a shitty tenant, does make me want to draw a distinction between property barons who light cigars with 50 pound notes and people who just let out a house they don't live in.

Dr Markus wrote:

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 11 Sep 2020, 20:12

like minnie, i got my first apartment when i was 16. cue years and years and years of crappy, awful landlords. all the way to the first time i moved to bama in 99. i was in a rush, i needed a place, so i rented from my friend's ex-husband. you can imagine how THAT went. mwhaha.

but i can say there is one good one on planet earth. reap found him, he rented out the house we lived in for, i dunno, 19 years. maybe reap was better at spotting a decent one. maybe it was just blind luck. but he only raised our rent once that entire time. he came to the ICU when reap was there. and when i moved out with attila, i gave him any fridge, tool, riding lawnmower, etc. his merry heart desired.

so there is one on the planet, anyway.

not that the ratio overall is very encouraging.