Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
“The Man”

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby “The Man” » 05 Mar 2020, 10:31

A 1 km square swarm/plague of locusts will eat their way through sufficient food to feed 35,000 people every single day

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 05 Mar 2020, 11:30

Rorschach wrote: By definition, a pandemic is global and not local.

According to the internet:

pandemic
/panˈdɛmɪk/

pandemic

(of a disease) prevalent over a whole country or the world.

There, you learned something today.
You don't have to be smart to see how fucked up this shit is. Jimmy Dore

Flower

Postby Flower » 05 Mar 2020, 15:44

Smokers are more at risk of catching the Coronavirus

https://metro.co.uk/2020/03/05/smokers- ... -12354004/

If you’ve been thinking about ditching the ciggies, now might be a good time to do it.

The Chief Medical Officer for England has warned smokers are at greater risk from coronavirus at a Commons Health and Social Care Committee meeting today.

Answering questions from MPs, Professor Chris Whitty said: ‘For most respiratory infections, you worry about people who smoke a bit more. They’re more likely to get it and their immune system is less good. If you are going to give up smoking, this is a very good moment to do it. But it’s not that I’m saying they should self-isolate or behave in any other way differently.
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 06 Mar 2020, 16:41

The US Congress has just approved $8.3 billion for "fighting the coronavirus."

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 06 Mar 2020, 18:32

We've just gone past the 100,000 infected figure.

You keep chatting to eachother.
I still think almost everyone is wrong and I am right.
Post hoc, ergo propter hoc
As silver tears they weave and lace, Sad patterns upon her face

Flower

Postby Flower » 07 Mar 2020, 12:52

Coronavirus outbreak has NBA preparing for games with no fans: reports

https://globalnews.ca/news/6644348/nba-coronavirus/

As fears over the coronavirus outbreak continue to grow and sports leagues around the globe make contingency plans, the NBA on Friday reportedly sent a memo to teams telling them to begin “developing” plans to play games with no fans or media in attendance.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Mar 2020, 04:11

The whole of Italy (population 60 million) placed under lockdown.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-51810673

Still horseshit?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Mar 2020, 05:42

Diamond Dog wrote:The whole of Italy (population 60 million) placed under lockdown.

Still horseshit?

Yeah.

It proves nothing, answers no basic questions no matter how many millions they lock down. Does closing schools, concert halls, whole countries and my sports gym make sense where prior to this any of us, I, could have been infected with almost any disease at any time? DOH! Why hadn't our governments thought of this before? A Valhalla where no one will ever catch a cold again!

And they still can't effectively pre-test for the virus so how do they know in advance who's infected? Can you be tested if you want? You can get a flu shot at the drug store in the US but can you get a new corona virus test? Not yet I think.

The number of infections worldwide is now more than 111,000, with about 3,890 deaths
. BBC

And how many are recovered? How many are fine today? Loads more than died but the media keeps that essential and positive bit of info out of their bleak reports.

There are many more things which point to a big pile of horseshit but maybe if Italy locked down a few more million I'd begin to be a believer. :roll:

Flower

Postby Flower » 10 Mar 2020, 10:53

Startup Israel tackles coronavirus with chutzpah and innovation

https://www.israel21c.org/israel-confro ... -chutzpah/

How the startup nation is using its unique strengths to tackle one of the biggest health crises of the modern age.

A handwashing machine and facemasks that claim to kill coronavirus. Contact-free monitoring of hospitalized COVID-19 patients. Proactive policies to prevent the spread of the virus. A possible vaccine on the horizon.

These are among the many ways Israel is responding with characteristic swift ingenuity to the raging coronavirus pandemic.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Mar 2020, 13:23

Jimbo wrote:
Diamond Dog wrote:The whole of Italy (population 60 million) placed under lockdown.

Still horseshit?

Yeah.

It proves nothing, answers no basic questions no matter how many millions they lock down. Does closing schools, concert halls, whole countries and my sports gym make sense where prior to this any of us, I, could have been infected with almost any disease at any time? DOH! Why hadn't our governments thought of this before? A Valhalla where no one will ever catch a cold again!

And they still can't effectively pre-test for the virus so how do they know in advance who's infected? Can you be tested if you want? You can get a flu shot at the drug store in the US but can you get a new corona virus test? Not yet I think.

The number of infections worldwide is now more than 111,000, with about 3,890 deaths
. BBC

And how many are recovered? How many are fine today? Loads more than died but the media keeps that essential and positive bit of info out of their bleak reports.

There are many more things which point to a big pile of horseshit but maybe if Italy locked down a few more million I'd begin to be a believer. :roll:

There have been 4,000 deaths from 128,000 reported cases. Even you can do the maths on that, can't you?

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 10 Mar 2020, 19:13

Jimbo wrote:

Still horseshit?

Yeah.

. BBC

So let's get this straight...

Dozens of the world's leading economies have agreed to invent or hype up a disease that "kills" large numbers of presukably fictional citizens with the sole aim of fucking up their own national and the global economy for the foreseeable future.

Never heard of the Latin expression cui bono?, Jim lad?

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 10 Mar 2020, 20:03

“The Man” wrote: Never heard of the Latin expression cui bono?, Jim lad?

What conspiracy nut hasn't? But as long as you are asking how about the pharmaceutical industry? Not saying I have proof one of their agents loosed the novel virus like it was some kind of bio-weapon in order to 1. thin the herd and 2. sell us their snake oil, but "make 'em sick and sell 'em more medicine" Big Pharma do benefit.

As I have said but not stressed enough, I don't know who is right. But I am reading many articles and watching videos from all across the spectrum. On one hand this all could be real and our governments and health providers are doing their best to stem the spread of what is an actual new type of virus. On another hand this could be a hoax. It's the panic from our media that gets me. It reminds me of the boy who cried wolf. And one time - and too late - the boy was right. There really was a wolf. But to remind you of past times we believed the boy there is this citation from my guy Jon Rappaport

Out of a population of seven BILLION people...

Ebola (2014-16): 11,325 deaths.

SARS (2003): 800 deaths.

MERS (2012-2020): 866 deaths.

And I may be crazy but I ain't that stupid. I have a good supply of canned goods and bottled juices on hand, extra toilet paper and I am washing my hands like a racoon. But I am optimistic and believe that this too shall pass and very soon.

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Mar 2020, 18:34

....that COVID-19 is officially a pandemic.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-51839944

Some horseshit.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2020, 04:23

Cui bono?

March 3, 2020
World Bank Group Announces Up to $12 Billion Immediate Support for COVID-19 Country Response
https://www.worldbank.org/en/news/press ... y-response

Still Baron
Diamond Geezer

Postby Still Baron » 12 Mar 2020, 04:26

The world would be easier to understand and reconcile if it really worked the way Jimbo thinks it does. Alas.
Quaco wrote:Are you fucking high?

take5_d_shorterer wrote:If John Bonham simply didn't listen to enough Tommy Johnson or Blind Willie Mctell, that's his doing.

“The Man”

Postby “The Man” » 12 Mar 2020, 09:53

Still Baron wrote:The world would be easier to understand and reconcile if it really worked the way Jimbo thinks it does. Alas.

Imagine you were sitting at the wall end of a row of seats in a smoke-filled cinema and had to struggle past Jimbo as he tried to reassure you that rumours of a fire had been started by concessionaires desperate to sell more Kia Ora orange juice.
Last edited by “The Man” on 12 Mar 2020, 11:22, edited 2 times in total.

Geezee

Postby Geezee » 12 Mar 2020, 10:57

Jimbo wrote:Big Pharma do benefit..

Big Pharma does not benefit. The sector PMI has gone up in the immediate response to this (the only sector that did) based on the surge of the demand for essential medicines/generics (which is not Big Pharma - it is primarily made of third tier pharma firms based in Israel, India and China). But that will pass very quickly, because for the moment, almost all countries are clamping down on exports of essential medicines, and there is a real supply chain crisis stemming from the fact that a huge proportion of drugs have their active ingredients manufactured in China, and we can't access them anymore. And whoever gets first to market wiht a vaccine/treatment here is unlikely to be able to profit very much (if at all - there is legislation in front of Congress to prevent any semblance of profiting here) because a) vaccines are hugely complex to research/manufacture and b) we are talking about inoculating 100s of thousands/millions of people, and it is simply impossible to profit from that - we just don't have that level of healthcare budget, not even close. There is a reason why we only have a handful of manufacturers of seasonal flu vaccines - almost nobody can do it in a profitable way, and those that do provide our vaccines always have severe capacity constraints because they cannot scale the investment. But sure, stick with the fantasies.
Smilies are ON
Flash is OFF
Url is ON

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 12 Mar 2020, 11:41

Geezee wrote:

Big Pharma does not benefit. The sector PMI has gone up ... But that will pass very quickly.

The Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) is an index of the prevailing direction of economic trends in the manufacturing and service sectors

After a strong opener you hit me with a fact: the pharma "sector" is up. (That's the "qui" and the "bono".) But then your argument crumbles into speculation guessing that the trend will pass. And it might. But you guess the big drug companies will not see a dime of the World Bank's 8 billion nor any of the 8 billion the US Congress released. :roll:

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 13 Mar 2020, 06:19

Jimbo wrote:
Geezee wrote:

Big Pharma does not benefit. The sector PMI has gone up ... But that will pass very quickly.

The Purchasing Managers' Index (PMI) is an index of the prevailing direction of economic trends in the manufacturing and service sectors

After a strong opener you hit me with a fact: the pharma "sector" is up. (That's the "qui" and the "bono".) But then your argument crumbles into speculation guessing that the trend will pass. And it might. But you guess the big drug companies will not see a dime of the World Bank's 8 billion nor any of the 8 billion the US Congress released. :roll:

So his guess is less likely than your guess?

Right.

Jimbo

Postby Jimbo » 13 Mar 2020, 08:54

Diamond Dog wrote:
Jimbo wrote:
Geezee wrote:
Big Pharma does not benefit.

. But you guess the big drug companies will not see a dime of the World Bank's 8 billion nor any of the 8 billion the US Congress released. :roll:

So his guess is less likely than your guess?

Right.

My guess is based upon loads of precedent and human nature. I am guessing that with many billions to be had during a health emergency drug companies large and small will do their best to get that money into their mitts.

Meanwhile the Chinese are importing from Cuba some interferon drug which is supposedly helpful - and probably cheap. At the same time the US and friends are boycotting Cuba so our friends in big pharma can hopefully stumble upon some kind of money-making drug of their own.