Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Minnie the Minx » 13 Aug 2020, 13:41

My cat likes raspberry jam.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 13 Aug 2020, 13:44

Wombats shit cubes.
Question authority.

harvey k-tel
Long Player

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Aug 2020, 17:47

The more pizza you eat, the more calories you burn.
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Flower

Postby Flower » 15 Aug 2020, 18:32

That Sonny Fox is still alive!!! (Unless I just killed him posting here.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Fox

https://www.sonnyfox.tv/

I saw that "Sonny Fox" had died but it was a much younger man who was a DJ. May he rest in peace.

I'm so happy that Sonny Fox is still alive ... :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

C
Robust

Postby C » 19 Aug 2020, 17:45

That Ben Elliot who is Co-Chairman of the Conservative Party since July 2019 is the nephew of Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, a member of the British royal family.

Further, Elliot married Mary-Clare Winwood, US-born daughter of the musician Steve Winwood, in Gloucestershire in 2011

mudshark wrote:Where is he anyway, that very soft lad?

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 20 Aug 2020, 10:07

Flower wrote:That Sonny Fox is still alive!!! (Unless I just killed him posting here.)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sonny_Fox

https://www.sonnyfox.tv/

I saw that "Sonny Fox" had died but it was a much younger man who was a DJ. May he rest in peace.

I'm so happy that Sonny Fox is still alive ... :D

Sandy Becker is the dead Channel 5 kids show host.
Question authority.

Flower

Postby Flower » 20 Aug 2020, 10:19

I knew about Sandy Becker but for some reason thought that Sonny Fox was dead too. I saw that a DJ named Sonny Fox had died but he was too young to be the kids host. I am really glad that the kids host, Sonny Fox, is alive, well and active at 95 years old. :D
If love could've saved you, you would've lived forever.

Samoan

Postby Samoan » 20 Aug 2020, 21:40

Mick Jagger appears uncredited in the 2008 film The Bank Job as a bank safe deposit employee.

Nonsense to the aggressiveness, I've seen more aggression on the my little pony message board......I mean I was told.

C
Robust

Postby C » 25 Aug 2020, 12:39

The word solipsism [the quality of being self-centred or selfish]

kath
Groovy Queen of the Cosmos

Postby kath » 25 Aug 2020, 13:59

C wrote:The word solipsism [the quality of being self-centred or selfish]

i have heard that word used exactly once... by a milton prof who was talkin about satan in paradise lost.

but the word just sounded so silly to me. kinda like satan was drinkin a slurpee.

C
Robust

Postby C » 26 Aug 2020, 19:51

kath wrote:

i have heard that word used exactly once... by a milton prof who was talkin about satan in paradise lost.

but the word just sounded so silly to me. kinda like satan was drinkin a slurpee.

:lol:

Robert

Postby Robert » 26 Aug 2020, 22:37

:? That’s one interpretation, I guess.

kath

Postby kath » 27 Aug 2020, 07:23

Robert wrote:

yeah, it is.

to be fair, it's the only translation of the word i was familiar with or saw used, in my very limited, english lit, old school kinda way. and i do mean old school.

i imagine that take as self-centeredness took hold somewhere along the line in christian-based lit and lit crit.

my milton prof used it with satan becuz satan speechifies often about how his mind makes all reality, how he paints his existence however his mind wants, how his mind determines all... but he says this stuff while he is quite literally standing in the burning marl of hell, sent there by god for being a rebellious, pride-filled fucquemeat. he hops around on the fiery coals leaning on his spear like a barefoot guy tryin to run along a hot beach. so in that context, satan's philosophy is not only laughable or delusional at best, it is self-serving spin at worst and an outright denial of god's plan and existence.

strip away that context, and i'm sure you can give a much fairer, broad definition. but it is most definitely "one" way to interpret it, and it's been around for some time.

i quite like the idea that only my mind can determine reality or know existence. it's workable just fine, until a piano falls out of a six-floor window and flattens ya on the street, or you die of a dread virus or sumthin. but i'm not sure that even at its most fundamental level, self-centeredness can't be applied. ya know? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it centered on the mind of oneself?

Rayge

Postby Rayge » 27 Aug 2020, 15:53

kath wrote:
Robert wrote:

yeah, it is.

to be fair, it's the only translation of the word i was familiar with or saw used, in my very limited, english lit, old school kinda way. and i do mean old school.

i imagine that take as self-centeredness took hold somewhere along the line in christian-based lit and lit crit.

my milton prof used it with satan becuz satan speechifies often about how his mind makes all reality, how he paints his existence however his mind wants, how his mind determines all... but he says this stuff while he is quite literally standing in the burning marl of hell, sent there by god for being a rebellious, pride-filled fucquemeat. he hops around on the fiery coals leaning on his spear like a barefoot guy tryin to run along a hot beach. so in that context, satan's philosophy is not only laughable or delusional at best, it is self-serving spin at worst and an outright denial of god's plan and existence.

strip away that context, and i'm sure you can give a much fairer, broad definition. but it is most definitely "one" way to interpret it, and it's been around for some time.

i quite like the idea that only my mind can determine reality or know existence. it's workable just fine, until a piano falls out of a six-floor window and flattens ya on the street, or you die of a dread virus or sumthin. but i'm not sure that even at its most fundamental level, self-centeredness can't be applied. ya know? correct me if i'm wrong, but isn't it centered on the mind of oneself?

My understanding (others may differ) is that selfish, or self-cent(e)red, means thinking only in terms of how things impinge on oneself, not considering (or putting at a much lower level of consideration) others, being largely incapable of altruism or empathy, and being largely unwilling to share.
Solipsism is a more extreme state in which the self is seen as the only 'reality', and everything else to some extent is generated by the self.
Solipsism differs from my own belief in 'autotheism' (viewtopic.php?f=47&t=124119) in that I accept and indeed celebrate that everyone lives in their own self-generated reality, and none of these are the 'right' (or, indeed, as a fully comitted sinistralist, 'left') one.
In timeless moments we live forever

You can't play a tune on an absolute

Negative Capability...when a man is capable of being in uncertainties, Mysteries, doubts, without any irritable reaching after fact & reason”

kath

Postby kath » 27 Aug 2020, 16:38

Rayge wrote:
kath wrote:
Robert wrote: :? That’s one interpretation, I guess.

yeah, it is.

My understanding (others may differ) is that selfish, or self-cent(e)red, means thinking only in terms of how things impinge on oneself, not considering (or putting at a much lower level of consideration) others, being largely incapable of altruism or empathy, and being largely unwilling to share.
Solipsism is a more extreme state in which the self is seen as the only 'reality', and everything else to some extent is generated by the self.
Solipsism differs from my own belief in 'autotheism' (http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 7&t=124119) in that I accept and indeed celebrate that everyone lives in their own self-generated reality, and none of these are the 'right' (or, indeed, as a fully comitted sinistralist, 'left') one.

thanks for this.

just to be clear, i didn't mean to imply that c's take on it and what i remember of it from earlyish english lit is at all fair. i was just speculating on why that take still persists. c got it from somewhere. i heard a very similar somewhere 30 years ago.

my own thinking is much more in line with yers.

Robert

Postby Robert » 27 Aug 2020, 22:37

Rayge wrote:
kath wrote:
Robert wrote: :? That’s one interpretation, I guess.

yeah, it is.

Solipsism differs from my own belief in 'autotheism' (http://bcb-board.co.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic ... 7&t=124119) in that I accept and indeed celebrate that everyone lives in their own self-generated reality, and none of these are the 'right' (or, indeed, as a fully comitted sinistralist, 'left') one.

Well yes,indeed. Solipsism is a philosophy of intellect whereas what C attributes to it is a product of Ego.

It could be called selfcentrednesss, I guess, at a stretch- but it really isn’t.

It is at its core selfcentred, but as a function of thought
rather than emotion.

So,not selfcentred in a selfish sense.

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Aug 2020, 00:42

The word Panglossian, meaning unreasonably optimistic. I remember the character Dr. Pangloss from Candide (actually, I remember him from the Bernstein operetta, as I never read the Voltaire), but I wasn't aware 'til now that he'd become adjectivised.

I heard Peter Noone use it in an interview on YouTube.

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 28 Aug 2020, 13:09

Charlie O. wrote:The word Panglossian, meaning unreasonably optimistic. I remember the character Dr. Pangloss from Candide (actually, I remember him from the Bernstein operetta, as I never read the Voltaire), but I wasn't aware 'til now that he'd become adjectivised.

The name "Pangloss" comes from Greek pan, meaning "all," and glossa, meaning "tongue," suggesting glibness and talkativeness. (from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary... it recently featured as their word of the day!).
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 28 Aug 2020, 18:01

Diamond Dog wrote:
Charlie O. wrote:The word Panglossian, meaning unreasonably optimistic. I remember the character Dr. Pangloss from Candide (actually, I remember him from the Bernstein operetta, as I never read the Voltaire), but I wasn't aware 'til now that he'd become adjectivised.

The name "Pangloss" comes from Greek pan, meaning "all," and glossa, meaning "tongue," suggesting glibness and talkativeness. (from the Merriam-Webster online dictionary... it recently featured as their word of the day!).

I always thought it sounded like make-up. Pancake, gloss...

Six String

Postby Six String » 28 Aug 2020, 22:19

Make-up for your tongue! Mine’s been looking a bit pale lately. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Return to “Nextdoorland”