Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65462
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 09 Feb 2018, 20:00

That the great film director Billy Wilder was actually born in Austria and escaped to the USA with the rise of the Nazis in 1933.
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.


"You were caught fucking another woman’s husband in a field while you were married, you camel-faced, racist troglodyte".

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 39619
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 09 Feb 2018, 20:07

Real name Wilhelm Wildnisgebiete.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.
Posts: 65462
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 21:04
Location: High On Poachers Hill

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Diamond Dog » 11 Feb 2018, 20:33

Not ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that receives a total eclipse of the sun. This is due to a quirk unique to us - our moon is 400 times smaller than the sun in diameter, but is also exactly 400 times closer to the earth than the sun.... hence when they line up.... a total eclipse!
Mason Cooley wrote:Worried about being a dull fellow? You might develop your talent for being irritating.


"You were caught fucking another woman’s husband in a field while you were married, you camel-faced, racist troglodyte".

User avatar
Pansy Puff
Posts: 8026
Joined: 22 Feb 2012, 21:10
Location: Under the watchful eye of the Clive police

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Pansy Puff » 11 Feb 2018, 20:35

Diamond Dog wrote:Not ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

-------------------

Earth is the only planet in the solar system that receives a total eclipse of the sun. This is due to a quirk unique to us - our moon is 400 times smaller than the sun in diameter, but is also exactly 400 times closer to the earth than the sun.... hence when they line up.... a total eclipse!

Must be due to God.
“He’s got the memory of an elephant ... and the trophy cabinet of one too.”

Six String
Posts: 20042
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 20:22

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Six String » 13 Feb 2018, 18:02

The Genesis album Trespass was released in the UK on the Impulse label. Does anyone here have a copy?

User avatar
Snarfyguy
Dominated by the Obscure
Posts: 52563
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 19:04
Location: New York

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Snarfyguy » 13 Feb 2018, 23:15

^^^ I think I do (but Wiki confirms that was the U.S. release). I'm not even a fan but I found a copy for cheap and it seemed unusual so I grabbed it, just in case. Am I rich yet?
Jimbo wrote:Look, all I know is pretty much what I get from Robert Parry over at Consortium News.

User avatar
PresMuffley
Posts: 1047
Joined: 06 Feb 2017, 12:00

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby PresMuffley » 04 Mar 2018, 19:35

This is a thing:

Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room.

User avatar
Harvey K-Tel
Long Player
Posts: 39619
Joined: 16 Jul 2003, 23:20
Location: 1220 on your AM dial

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Harvey K-Tel » 12 Mar 2018, 20:50

The Vaquita porpoise will most like be completely extinct by the end of March.
If you've got nothing to do, don't do it here.

User avatar
Samoan
Posts: 9941
Joined: 28 May 2008, 10:22
Location: The Steaming Metropolis

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Samoan » 12 Mar 2018, 22:22

The Battle of Towton fought on the 29th March 1461 during the English Wars of the Roses according to chroniclers, resulted in the loss of 28,000 lives.

It was a Palm Sunday and there was a snow storm raging.
bobzilla77 wrote:Those people who say the guitars sound like bagpipes have never really listened to bagpipes.

User avatar
NMB
Posts: 4641
Joined: 22 Jun 2005, 20:46
Location: Darkest Surrey

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby NMB » 13 Mar 2018, 16:32

Samoan wrote:The Battle of Towton fought on the 29th March 1461 during the English Wars of the Roses according to chroniclers, resulted in the loss of 28,000 lives.

It was a Palm Sunday and there was a snow storm raging.


I initially read that as The Battle of Toytown.
turn on, tune in, nod off

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Mar 2018, 11:32

One of the members of belle and Sebastian wrote a musical that was on film4. It was rated the best accidental horror of the year.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
BOLLY BEE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16846
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby BOLLY BEE » 15 Mar 2018, 15:37

Crikey! well, you live and learn
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Dr Markus » 15 Mar 2018, 15:39

WARRIOR/DESTROYER XI wrote:Crikey! well, you live and learn


Well you obviously haven't, or you would have changed years ago.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
BOLLY BEE
hounds people off the board
Posts: 16846
Joined: 24 Apr 2007, 23:21
Location: pursued by the enraged queen

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby BOLLY BEE » 15 Mar 2018, 15:44

:oops:
Copehead wrote:Rather amusingly I remembered a very expensive 3* meal I ate that did disappoint slightly

User avatar
Jeemo
Posts: 20482
Joined: 21 Jul 2003, 23:17
Location: ????

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Jeemo » 15 Mar 2018, 21:02

Linda Thompson's brother is Brian Pettigrew who is an actor. He was in most of Lindsay Anderson's films, the tv series Get Some In with Robert Lindsey, and various tv shows over the years.

I've sold him records years ago in Glasgow, and saw him recently in Marks and Spencers .
Image So Long Kid, Take A Bow.

User avatar
Neige
Alpine Numpty
Posts: 16190
Joined: 17 Jul 2003, 11:11
Location: On 2 oz of plastic with a hole in the middle (of nowhere)

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Neige » 15 Mar 2018, 21:43

Six String wrote:The Genesis album Trespass was released in the UK on the Impulse label. Does anyone here have a copy?


That was the US version... and yes, I do.
Thumpety-thump beats plinkety-plonk every time. - Rayge

User avatar
mission
Posts: 2146
Joined: 04 Apr 2008, 13:39

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby mission » 16 Mar 2018, 11:06

St Patrick's symbolic colour is blue.
Good.

User avatar
Belle Lettre
Éminence grise
Posts: 15372
Joined: 09 Oct 2008, 07:16
Location: Antiterra

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Belle Lettre » 16 Mar 2018, 11:23

For there's a cruel law agin the wearin' o' the green
Nikki Gradual wrote:
Get a fucking grip you narcissistic cretins.

User avatar
Dr Markus
Posts: 17670
Joined: 07 Jan 2012, 18:16

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby Dr Markus » 16 Mar 2018, 15:32

Americans are ridiculously clueless about St Paddy's day, yet they love it.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

User avatar
McBastard
Posts: 2702
Joined: 24 Jul 2003, 12:11
Location: overlooking Glasgow

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby McBastard » 16 Mar 2018, 19:44

Jeemo wrote:Linda Thompson's brother is Brian Pettigrew who is an actor. He was in most of Lindsay Anderson's films, the tv series Get Some In with Robert Lindsey, and various tv shows over the years.

I've sold him records years ago in Glasgow, and saw him recently in Marks and Spencers .


Brian Pettifer surely? I saw him in the Odeon on Renfield Street once.
May the Lord have mercy on Stringy Bob