Post something you've learnt today

in reality, all of this has been a total load of old bollocks
harvey k-tel
Long Player

Re: Post something you've learnt today

Postby harvey k-tel » 13 Sep 2017, 18:55

The Great Defector wrote:"ska" is feminine.

Machuki's not going to like this one bit...
Tempora mutatur et nos mutamur in illis

Charlie O.

Postby Charlie O. » 15 Sep 2017, 04:01

First pressings of The Doors' "Hello, I Love You" 45 gave the title as "Hello, I Love You, Won't You Tell Me Your Name?"

Six String

Postby Six String » 17 Sep 2017, 23:45

The largest batch of hummus ever made weighed 4,532 pounds created by the Association Of Lebanese Industrialists, the Kafaat Catering School and Chef Ramzi Choueiry in Beirut, Lebanon October 24,2009. :shock:

That's a lot of garbanzos. :)
Everything is broken
B. Dylan

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 18 Sep 2017, 00:19

Six String wrote:The largest batch of hummus ever made weighed 4,532 pounds created by the Association Of Lebanese Industrialists, the Kafaat Catering School and Chef Ramzi Choueiry in Beirut, Lebanon October 24,2009. :shock:

That's a lot of garbanzos. :)

That'd last a week in this house.
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 18 Sep 2017, 17:13

The difference between a platform server and a web server.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Jimbo
Dribbling idiot airhead

Postby Jimbo » 23 Sep 2017, 16:27

Because of the new Vietnam documentary I'm reading reviews and chat about the subject and one thing I just learned was that US involvement in Vietnam goes way back before even the 1950s.

http://www.vvaw.org/about/warhistory.php

“U.S. involvement in Vietnam did not begin in the 1960’s or even the 1940’s, but in 1845. That’s right — 1845. In that year the people of Da Nang arrested a French missionary bishop for breaking local laws. The U.S. commander of “Old Ironsides” (the U.S.S. Constitution) landed U.S. Navy and Marines in support of French efforts to reclaim their missionary. Mad Jack Percival, the ship’s captain, fired into the city of Da Nang, killing 3 dozen Vietnamese, wounding more, and taking the local mandarins hostage. He then demanded that the Catholic Bishop be freed in exchange for his hostages. The Vietnamese were unimpressed. They refused his demand and waited. “Mad Jack” got tired of waiting, released his hostages, and sailed away leaving the Bishop behind. One hundred and thirty years later, Americans would again become tired of their involvement and leave Vietnam. Unfortunately we would leave behind far more than 3 dozen dead.”
Question authority.

sloopjohnc

Postby sloopjohnc » 23 Sep 2017, 16:40

Glow worms are really maggots and fireflies are really beetles.
Don't fake the funk on a nasty dunk!

Hugh

Postby Hugh » 29 Sep 2017, 08:20

Actually I've always known this but I've just had it reinforced. It is impossible to sing along with the "Don't you know that sometimes" line in Sound And Vision without doing it in your most ridiculous David Bowie voice.

You're doing it now, aren't you?

Diamond Dog
"Self Quoter" Extraordinaire.

Postby Diamond Dog » 16 Oct 2017, 20:20

It's funny, apparently.
Nicotine, valium, vicadin, marijuana, ecstasy, and alcohol -
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 01 Nov 2017, 18:48

Colposinquanonia : Estimating a woman's beauty based on her chest.
Cocaine

Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 01 Nov 2017, 21:16

Christopher Lasch's The Culture of Narcissism tells us, in its opening chapter, about many things that are so dreadfully wrong anno 2017.

The book is 38 years old, and I read it first in about 1987.

I read this chapter just this evening, and I was moved to tears.

It's not really about any trivial fact that came to my attention today. But it's relevant, and that's what counts.
On the whole, I'd rather be in Wallenpaupack.

Count Machuki
BCB Cup Champion 2013

Postby Count Machuki » 02 Nov 2017, 16:42

Harvey K-Tel wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:"ska" is feminine.

Machuki's not going to like this one bit...

:lol:
Let U be the set of all united sets, K be the set of the kids and D be the set of things divided.
Then it follows that ∀ k ∈ K: K ∈ U ⇒ k ∉ D

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Nov 2017, 16:13

No matter how long he's away,
Still a twat on his return day.....
Cocaine

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 10 Nov 2017, 16:42

The Great Defector wrote:The stereotypical "Ski" at the end of polish names is to make them masculine, or "ska" is feminine.

Like "-son" or "-dottir" in Icelandic names?

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 16:51

Bride Of Sea Of Tunes wrote:
The Great Defector wrote:The stereotypical "Ski" at the end of polish names is to make them masculine, or "ska" is feminine.

I think the use of "son" in Icelandic names, Johnson for example, means "son of john". In Iceland I think your surname is made up of your da's first name and then firing a "son" on the end. In Poland, I think it just makes it masculine or feminine. It doesn't mean "son of...". I could be wrong though.
Drama Queenie wrote:You are a chauvinist of the quaintest kind. About as threatening as Jack Duckworth, you are a harmless relic of that cherished era when things were 'different'. Now get back to drawing a moustache on that page three model

Postby Your Friendly Neighbourhood Postman » 10 Nov 2017, 17:54

The Great Defector wrote:

I think the use of "son" in Icelandic names, Johnson for example, means "son of john". In Iceland I think your surname is made up of your da's first name and then firing a "son" on the end. In Poland, I think it just makes it masculine or feminine. It doesn't mean "son of...". I could be wrong though.

A, I see. It's more like Mikhail Gorbachev and Raisa Gorbacheva?

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Nov 2017, 18:04

What about Mr Lubba Lubba then?
Cocaine

Diamond Dog

Postby Diamond Dog » 10 Nov 2017, 18:04

Joshua Trees are found in California, Nevada, Arizona, and Utah.

The taxonomic classification of the Joshua tree (yucca brevifolia) is monocotyledonous, defined in part as having no annual rings (similar to the palm). This makes it difficult to determine the age of Joshua trees. On average, they grow about a half-inch per year.

The Joshua tree is the largest yucca and the tallest recorded Joshua tree grew to be 56 feet high, meaning it would be more than 1,300 years old, but that's highly (pun intended) unlikely; most don’t live anywhere near that long, because they’re somewhat precarious, having top-heavy branches and shallow roots. More likely is that growing conditions (heavy rainfall, soil conducive to an extensive root system, lack of insect infestation, etc.) prompted it to shoot up.

That's the case with the most famous tree in the best place to see these ungainly trees, Joshua Tree National Park, a million-acre preserve northwest of Palm Springs in southeastern California: The "Barber Pole" tree, with 32 feet of trunk before it branches, is estimated to be 40 years old.

The trees' maximum lifespan is about 150 years. Wind ultimately causes their demise. Since they're so asymmetrical, when a high wind sheers off a limb, they get out of balance; the next high wind can knock the whole tree down.

The Joshua tree is found only in the Mojave Desert and nowhere else in the world. That's because they require only six to ten inches or rainfall a year, but also freezing temperatures in the winter.

Its trunk, though dry and brittle on the outside, is soaking wet on the inside and is said to contain a "column of water." It's often the only place desert animals can get access to water, even during the driest years and in severe droughts; they gnaw through the bark to get at the moist tissue within. These trees are very efficient at storing water in their roots and trunks and they have very small leaves (hence, the Latin name brevifolia).

The Joshua tree was named by Mormon missionaries traveling from Salt Lake City to southern California in the mid-19th century. The limb-like branches of the plant reminded them of the Biblical story in which Joshua reaches his hands to the sky in order to welcome pilgrims to the Promised Land.

Native Americans used the tough leaves of the tree to weave baskets and sandals; they also ate the flower buds raw or roasted.

They bloom between February and April, though not necessarily every year; it depends on sufficient rainfall at the critical moment in the annual life cycle. The flowers consist of six petals, from a creamy-white to a silvery-green color. When they bloom, the flowers are pollinated by the yucca moth, which also lays its eggs inside the flower. The tree produces a fruit about the size of an apricot; they're edible, but extremely bitter. Joshua trees can grow from seed; they can also sprout from the rhizome (an underground shoot or root) of another tree.
Cocaine

Dr Markus

Postby Dr Markus » 10 Nov 2017, 18:06

The Great Defector wrote:

A, I see. It's more like Mikhail Gorbachev and Raisa Gorbacheva?

Don't know about the Russian, I'm curious about the east European countries though where names end in 'ov' or 'ic' for example. Does it mean 'of (enter family name)'. In Irish 'O' is "son of", or just "of" while "Ni" means "daughter of".

Minnie the Minx
funky thigh collector

Postby Minnie the Minx » 11 Nov 2017, 08:39

Worcester Sauce Wheat Crunchies have been wiped from British shops it seems!
You come at the Queen, you best not miss.

Dr Markus wrote:
Someone in your line of work usually as their own man cave aka the shed we're they can potter around fixing stuff or something don't they?

Flower wrote:I just did a google search.

Return to “Nextdoorland”